33 Sam HENRY 28 Jun 93 189 75 Aspley
34 Richard Newell 23 Mar 93 186 82 Lions Scholarship
35 Craig MALONE 21 Feb 93 196 98 Mt Gravatt
36 Tom FIELDS 19 Dec 92 190 89 Labrador
37 Jordan BAIN 14 Oct 93 193 78 Redland
38 Brody HABERFIELD 13 Jan 94 180 81 Surfers Paradise
39 Jordan BOURKE 11 Nov 94 192 79 Morningside
40 Michael WYLD 26 Jul 94 188 78 Morningside

About 34 of list of 40 training at present - of others some injured, presumably others potential backups if required?
First of 5 state games this weekend against SA in blacktown which will be tough - although looks like all will be with Vic metro following week, tasmania looking strong this year, and NT getting within 14 points of WA.
Will be interesting to see who makes team for first game - presumably mainly the same team as last TAC practice game a couple of weeks ago

Anyone seen either of the first two games to give any feedback on how the team / individuals went? Reports dont always tell the whole story - can vary somewhat depending if they are on AFL site, AFLQ site, or bigfooty watchers of the games! Always going to be tough playing SA and Vic Metro first up - hopefully will be more competitive against the other Div 2 states.

yeah, i did happen to catch the games ? SA game was terrible, if i had to pick best player i could'nt. They were killed out of the middle, no forward pressure (not too many marks up there either) and a few down back did'nt attack the footy like you would expect at this level ?? First option for QLD quite often overlooked ?? That really hurt the sides disposal efficency most of the day ! No great moves from the sidelines either ?? So my opinion SA in a nutshell, Need to play harder TEAM football - looked like big spoilt softies ??
Vic Metro was a better first half, but at the end of the day, if you look at the stats for QLD, the guys named in the best did'nt do all that much. Loose in defence, again, beaten out of the middle time and time again, hitting targets terrible ?? and both games,the bench was under utilised.
In wrapping up in my opinion, the 'name' players just are'nt doing enough No others really get any opportunity ?? Even on the bench ?? Playing list has increased and some of the boys haven't been contacted yet re training etc. I'd almost give a couple more bottom age a crack and see if we can't improve next years side ?? certainly worth considering gents ??

yeah, i did happen to catch the games ? SA game was terrible, if i had to pick best player i could'nt. They were killed out of the middle, no forward pressure (not too many marks up there either) and a few down back did'nt attack the footy like you would expect at this level ?? First option for QLD quite often overlooked ?? That really hurt the sides disposal efficency most of the day ! No great moves from the sidelines either ?? So my opinion SA in a nutshell, Need to play harder TEAM football - looked like big spoilt softies ??
Vic Metro was a better first half, but at the end of the day, if you look at the stats for QLD, the guys named in the best did'nt do all that much. Loose in defence, again, beaten out of the middle time and time again, hitting targets terrible ?? and both games,the bench was under utilised.
In wrapping up in my opinion, the 'name' players just are'nt doing enough No others really get any opportunity ?? Even on the bench ?? Playing list has increased and some of the boys haven't been contacted yet re training etc. I'd almost give a couple more bottom age a crack and see if we can't improve next years side ?? certainly worth considering gents ??

Did hear another player has been called up after being originally overlooked and dumped with a few others with a so called attitude. Has been getting in the best players weekly in the Pinapple Cup comp, but thats not to say he will perform at the much faster National U18 level. Theres also a few 17 yr olds playing State League Reserves that are doing ok. Definately get some more of last years 16s in and get them ready, good call. Interesting stats from the sides 2 games already played when you look at efficiency. Pretty ordinary from some big names and some pets. Many can get the ball but do nothing with it.......coach has so far kept his win loose ratio intact......zero wins. Also does not seem like the conditioning blokes programme has worked if they have run out of puff against Vic metro in the second half, but I do beleive if you dont hit targets you will end up working harder when you turn the ball over, and that will soon take it toll on anyone

Qld have performed OK last couple of years at least at National Under 16 championships in Division 2. However this hasent seemed to translate to Under 18 level. Not close enough to know why that might be the case - I guess the talent pool the team is picked from is smaller than many of the other states, so the good QLD teams of 17 and 18 year olds are only going to come along now and then when you get a bunch of good players in those ages rather than just a couple each year. Question is whether the new academy system which is only involving up to 16 year olds at present (the age group which will be the first that allows the loacl teams to draft local talent preferentially after suns and GWS concessions finish) will improve things as it grows, or if there needs to be a restructure of the under !8 program at the state league level, or something else needs to be tried??

Qld have performed OK last couple of years at least at National Under 16 championships in Division 2. However this hasent seemed to translate to Under 18 level. Not close enough to know why that might be the case - I guess the talent pool the team is picked from is smaller than many of the other states, so the good QLD teams of 17 and 18 year olds are only going to come along now and then when you get a bunch of good players in those ages rather than just a couple each year. Question is whether the new academy system which is only involving up to 16 year olds at present (the age group which will be the first that allows the loacl teams to draft local talent preferentially after suns and GWS concessions finish) will improve things as it grows, or if there needs to be a restructure of the under !8 program at the state league level, or something else needs to be tried??

The issue is I suppose is less about onfield success and more about number of kids drafted - this is the only measure they will ever use and fair enough as well. Thats what the development guys get paid for.

Was lucky enough to be in Brisbane this weekend.Thought i would make the effort to go to Metricon and watch the U16 &U18 .As a lot of the posters here talk crap.I wanted to see for myself

Both Teams won comfortably against NTwith better game plans and better skills and fitness.
I know this academy thing is new but if it is producing what i ,saw today..
bring it on
I witnessed commited boys playing for each other with something they believed in.
A comradship Ive not seen before at this level.
Browning Batty and Ashkar,Windsor and their support staff should be congratulated in having the courage to change the process that had seen QLD rep teams behind the eight ball at recent National carnivals.
The next few weeks will tell but there was was big improvement today.
Go you QUEENSLANDERS.

Was lucky enough to be in Brisbane this weekend.Thought i would make the effort to go to Metricon and watch the U16 &U18 .As a lot of the posters here talk crap.I wanted to see for myself

Both Teams won comfortably against NTwith better game plans and better skills and fitness.
I know this academy thing is new but if it is producing what i ,saw today..
bring it on
I witnessed commited boys playing for each other with something they believed in.
A comradship Ive not seen before at this level.
Browning Batty and Ashkar,Windsor and their support staff should be congratulated in having the courage to change the process that had seen QLD rep teams behind the eight ball at recent National carnivals.
The next few weeks will tell but there was was big improvement today.
Go you QUEENSLANDERS.
I saw the 18s and was so impressed by the SOS inclusionTom Overingtons game and his contested possesions, that you had to wonder why wasnt he in from dot. Reason is I heard he cant run 2k in 7mins so he was outed by the fitness expert. SOS to get him back cause they cant win the ball out of the centre........32 odd possesions later and look at the turnaround.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw the 18s and was so impressed by the SOS inclusionTom Overingtons game and his contested possesions, that you had to wonder why wasnt he in from dot. Reason is I heard he cant run 2k in 7mins so he was outed by the fitness expert. SOS to get him back cause they cant win the ball out of the centre........32 odd possesions later and look at the turnaround.

All off the back of excellent form for Sandgate in a comp where players are not encouraged to play if they are involved in State footy.

All off the back of excellent form for Sandgate in a comp where players are not encouraged to play if they are involved in State footy.

thats not true, may have been earlier in the 2000s when PHC was pretty ordinary. but if the kids are playing senior footy i have been told the selectors are happy with that. neafl clubs may say this to kids to get them into their club.

If you where a player coming out of U16`s you always had 2 years at U18 Level?

it went 16s, 17s, 18s.they use to have every age group in juniors after the age of 12. 11 years ago they changed that. too be honest they have enough kids playing junior afl to go back to that. but the reason is probably. not enough umpires

thats not true, may have been earlier in the 2000s when PHC was pretty ordinary. but if the kids are playing senior footy i have been told the selectors are happy with that. neafl clubs may say this to kids to get them into their club.

They are probably saying that now Overington has been a success in one game, but he along with others were heavily pushed by State operators to join NEAFL clubs during pre season.

They are probably saying that now Overington has been a success in one game, but he along with others were heavily pushed by State operators to join NEAFL clubs during pre season.

So much for playing at NEAFL clubs then as directed. May as well play Pinapple Cup. At least at that level the quality kids get to stand out in a much slower comp.

So much for playing at NEAFL clubs then as directed. May as well play Pinapple Cup. At least at that level the quality kids get to stand out in a much slower comp.
whats the deal with newel not playing for QLD 18s today because the lions were hit by injury. does that mean any neafl club can recall 18s?

newell is a lions scholarship player and i guess they will recall when they like as they are coffing up some dollars.
Neafl clubs will have no such power i would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back