Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Team just come up on AFLQ site. Interesting to see if they actually set up as listed - 4 talls in the forward line, and a very small backline. Hope Tas dont get on top in the midfield and have a couple of decent marking tall forwards to kick to!

see the qld coaching staff must be watching another game give a kid (who l wont name) best on ground and he only had 4 touches time for change must look like the thunderbirds in the coaches box all on strings like puppets

Presumably played shut down role in defense or tagging role as per team instructions and did what requested?

see the qld coaching staff must be watching another game give a kid (who l wont name) best on ground and he only had 4 touches time for change must look like the thunderbirds in the coaches box all on strings like puppets

Did you even read the match report?

Fullback Luke Reynolds was judged Queensland’s best player for an outstanding shut-down job on Tasmanian gun Julian Dobosz, who had kicked 25 goals in five games prior to today.

Sounds like a solid job, don't even think Patton kicked that many in the carnival.

Handy side then - always difficult to say what impact a coach makes but what I would agree on with many on here who have been bagging the system is that a guy like McCrae was more than likely his own man, strong in his opinions and bc of his playing record, very unlikely to be influenced by others who may have other agendas.
Maybe he chose the side HE wanted and not what others wanted.

It does seem really strange that there are players dragged in from outside the squad to play in these matches bc they are playing well at NEAFL level. How could a boy come in with any understanding of what the team structures . strategies are if they don't train with the group? Sometimes i reckon its important to have the courage of your convictions - choose a squad of 30, all the players come from this. Thoughts?

I was told that Kevin Sheehan puts the best players on the web site?

Moving forward, how many of this years side were 17 year olds who can play again next year? Seems to be some handy 16's pushing up next year to be underage, will we be competitive next year? Thoughts?

Very much so Sweetie - this years 17's knocked off Vic Metro at 15's schoolboys 2 years ago at the National carnival. From what i know, some very very good footballers in the 17's.

From the Gold Coast, you had Boston, Davidson & Habberfield last two games.

You will see to big ruckman next year Brennan & Bull, both 200cm. I'm sure there's a few more I can't think of right now, but I'm sure they will all figure next year.

Moving forward, how many of this years side were 17 year olds who can play again next year? Seems to be some handy 16's pushing up next year to be underage, will we be competitive next year? Thoughts?

17 year olds in squad this year who will be eligible next year - Smith, ?Hopkins, Davidson, Coleman-Broom, Wagner, Crook, Cameron, Boston, Haberfield, Overington, Wyld, and Burke (who ended up playing as overage player in 16 carnival rather then in under 18's (8 goals vrs NSW yesterday it seems). Plus others outside the 18's squad this year from last years 16's like Ives (injured this year), Oates, Brown Pulke, etc. And always a few who were on the fringe at 16 but develop significantly in next couple of years and put their hand up for selection at 18. And add some of this years 16's as bottom agers as mentioned, who seem to be going Ok so far this year - 2 wins against NT and NSW so far. Plus an overager or two like Bain who would fit age bracket and missed out ?as injured this year.
However I guess Qld have performed well at Div 2 under 16 level last few years but this has not translated into under 18's performing well for whatever reason. Hopefully next year will be a different story.....

Who will then lead the side next year? And who are around the top 5 players.
James Ives,Andrew Boston,Clay Cameron,Tom Davidson,Tom Overington Would be my picks 4 out of the 5 played this year and ives was out injuried but would have been there does any one have any other combinations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the 16's won the Div 2 title again this year - will mean that the 2 age groups in next years Div 2 18's will be the Div 2 champions so you would think a pretty good squad is going to come from them.

Well done to the 16's and Ray Windsor. (and Caine Tickner - Sunshine Coast boy (Noosa) who was a very good player at the carnival)

Good job by the U16`s, 5th win in eight years.I would suggest the current program works well in terms of what is being done via academy and Fitness staff etc.The Coaching staff must be rewarded as well.Maybe we can change the U16 coaching staff to the U18`s next year.

Good job by the U16`s, 5th win in eight years.I would suggest the current program works well in terms of what is being done via academy and Fitness staff etc.The Coaching staff must be rewarded as well.Maybe we can change the U16 coaching staff to the U18`s next year.

who were the coaching staff? how do you rate them?

Translating the success of the Qld state 16's to the 18's is seemingly a complex issue - Clearly done well at 16's for several years, but during most of same time 18's struggling, especially recently. One wonders if its partly just a reflection of low player numbers in Qld at 18's (as previously posted), and maybe in part due to high drop out rate with boys between 16 and 18 as leaving school, competition from other activities/sports etc??? In many schools and the pressure is on good sportsmen is to play a rugby code for school, not AFL, especially when boys get to grade 11 and 12 . Seen lots of boys finish up AFL after 16's and play rubgy for school in grade 11 and 12, to play with mates for last year or two of school, prestige amoung peers at school etc. Would be different if AFL was a major winter sport at schools, but we are a long long way from that in Qld

No doubt the coach staff at 16's the last couple of years have had good feedback, but remember head coach of 18's last two years was promoted from 16's the previous year when they won the Div 2 championship undefeated under him, and Pat Garner involved with 18's this year after being part of 16's coaching group last year. So some may or may not like current 18's coaches, but clearly a much bigger issue than just the coaching staff currently.

I think there has been a recognition thats it a broader issue, hence the introduction of the Academy program in Qld and NSW (currently mainly focused on boys up to 16 years at the moment - ie turning 16 this year - born in 1995) as these are the ones who will be the first age group draft eligible under the new academy zone sysytem, which as I understand it comes in in 2013 after the Gold coast and GWS draft concessions finish). I know a 16 year old in the current Lions Academy, later starter to AFL, and he certainly feels hes getting a lot out of it, seemingly much better run than reports of the "old " academy before changes last year. The state program for under 18's changed significantly this year for the boys 17 and 18 as well.

Given these changes were made in last 12 months, I guess we need to wait a year or two to see if this will have a flow on to better under 18 results and more draftees. As in the end, as has been mentioned previously in this thread, like it or not the development program's primary aim from the point of view of AFL (ie the group who fund it) is to get more Qld boys drafted...

Good post Footymaad - as you said, the primary aim of rep football in ALL states is to get kids drafted, not to win games of footy. A few on here conveniently forget that the AFL throws millions of $$ at Qld footy, not to ensure they win more rep games but to get kids drafted.
We basically have class B athletes playing here - we need to spread the tentacles to get the class A athlete in the system somehow, most of whom are playing one of the rugby codes or soccer. Less so each year as AFL grabs greater attention among kids but still is the case.

Good post Footymaad - as you said, the primary aim of rep football in ALL states is to get kids drafted, not to win games of footy. A few on here conveniently forget that the AFL throws millions of $$ at Qld footy, not to ensure they win more rep games but to get kids drafted.
We basically have class B athletes playing here - we need to spread the tentacles to get the class A athlete in the system somehow, most of whom are playing one of the rugby codes or soccer. Less so each year as AFL grabs greater attention among kids but still is the case.

Generalisations again, a player ran a 16.3 beep test, 8.1 agility and broke 3 seconds for 20 metres and was overlooked, he wasn't bought into the program as an athlete but was a footballer who has won league awards.

Stop trying to help gloss it over but let it run its new course watch closely and lets see if there is improvement.

its comments like that, puts qld football behind the eight ball.To say kids in qld are b grade players and we have to get players from other codes is a load of crap.We have all the talent we need to win championships look at the 16s get behind the kids dont just bag them

its comments like that, puts qld football behind the eight ball.To say kids in qld are b grade players and we have to get players from other codes is a load of crap.We have all the talent we need to win championships look at the 16s get behind the kids dont just bag them

agree, we need to nurture what weve got and still look to get other kids from all sports involved if they are good enough.

Wasn't bagging them - its a fact of life. The best male athletes in Qld tend to drift towards the rugby codes still or even soccer. Our boys that make up the rep sides etc are very good athletes and as LAB mentioned, some do o/standing things physically. I am just providing the reason why the talent ID people look outside the week to week local football comps for talent - it is because they realise that there are many boys out there who are fantastic physical specimens playing other sports. You just can't say the same happens in States like Vic, SA, WA or even Tassie (which is why it is always such a good effort to knock them off IMO).
Very happy to see the 16's win - hope it translates into 18's success over the next few years in seeing more boys drafted.

BTW - quite a few of the boys in the 16's came from other sports as 14yr olds.

Generalisations again, a player ran a 16.3 beep test, 8.1 agility and broke 3 seconds for 20 metres and was overlooked, he wasn't bought into the program as an athlete but was a footballer who has won league awards.

Stop trying to help gloss it over but let it run its new course watch closely and lets see if there is improvement.

Who was this player?Great agility and endurance

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back