Opinion Will there be any home games this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get to play a side with a top up player on the field we should have a good time, if there are five or six we should expect to score almost every time we move the ball from defensive fifty forward.

Have you ever seen the team drills come to a halt and the coach blows his lid over someone being in the wrong place? Lyon used to do this quite a bit. That will happen on a far more costly scale all the time during a game, especially if the wingers or half forwards are sidelined and replaced with freshies.

Short of the opposition fielding Phil Inns as key backs or tagging defensive mids, who will has simple instructions to stick to their opponent all game, the rest of the structure will be loose like a sales pitch for tupperware four drinks later than planned.
I imagine they would be allowed to train with the club.

Don't we already have 4 Peel dudes at the club (Roy George was one from memory)? Eagles have 4 train on players as well. (Nads is one I believe)

Logistically, it's pretty difficult but not impossible.

I imagine they would be allowed to train with the club.

Don't we already have 4 Peel dudes at the club (Roy George was one from memory)? Eagles have 4 train on players as well. (Nads is one I believe)

Logistically, it's pretty difficult but not impossible.

I mentioned it before Christmas that they will need to have players familiar with the team's systems in order to have them fill in so it's good that there are players involved outside existing list, the next step will be isolating training groups so that it's only the players who live together that will be lost extra to those infected.

That's assuming that the rules haven't changed again by the time the season starts to allow people living in the same home to continue living as per normal and given the risk to the community isn't going to be increased by those household contacts also spreading the virus with 100,000 other public people - it just might.

I mentioned it before Christmas that they will need to have players familiar with the team's systems in order to have them fill in so it's good that there are players involved outside existing list, the next step will be isolating training groups so that it's only the players who live together that will be lost extra to those infected.

That's assuming that the rules haven't changed again by the time the season starts to allow people living in the same home to continue living as per normal and given the risk to the community isn't going to be increased by those household contacts also spreading the virus with 100,000 other public people - it just might.
Yes, and the salary structure would have to be negotiated through the AFL.

Essendon used top up players in 2016, so there's already some work done in that sphere.

Great opportunity for those who would cut off their arm for a crack at the big league.

Love the fact, that to appease the AFL, players will have to go to Victoria for example and play. Large cases. If a player gets COVID, the season is in jeopardy. Let’s play in Victoria and NSW then 👍

Love the fact, that to appease the AFL, players will have to go to Victoria for example and play. Large cases. If a player gets COVID, the season is in jeopardy. Let’s play in Victoria and NSW then 👍
Players will probably get COVID every round of the season. 50% of players outside of WA have already had COVID, this isn’t 2020 where one positive could have shut the comp down for two weeks. What will be interesting is if WA still has 14 days quarantine rules for testing positive where all other states are 7.

Reckon we will be opening in March/early April at the absolute latest.

Reading the health advice pushing it back any further would make any sense based on the comments from the CHO.

The advice chops and changes - but waning protection from boosters and the threat of running into influenza season would be detrimental further so to the hospital system.

So, avoiding all the politics of changing health advice, if anything I think only the first few weeks will be impacted and then we hopefully see a season progress as normal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had to relocate, from a tactical perspective Melbourne would be our best bet.
Lobby the AFL to rotate our games between MCG and Marvel, with a couple of games likely to be shuffled to Tassie and GC where conflicts occur with existing scheduling.
If this happens, you will most likely end up with some home games at GMHBA Stadium and Mars Stadium as well. Marvel and the MCG can only hold so many games.

I am still not convinced that the 2022 season will finish as the AFL want.
But that being said, it appears at his early stage that both WA clubs will be sent East. I think I heard that the AFL are talking about a supplementary list of players. Where will these players come from. And will each club have their own lists.
Will both Fremantle and West Coast have to take extras with them when they travel.

I am still not convinced that the 2022 season will finish as the AFL want.
But that being said, it appears at his early stage that both WA clubs will be sent East. I think I heard that the AFL are talking about a supplementary list of players. Where will these players come from. And will each club have their own lists.
Will both Fremantle and West Coast have to take extras with them when they travel.
I don't think this will happen as quarantine will be cut down to 7 days when we get high case numbers.

"When high caseloads are reached in WA, which the Premier hopes will not be for some weeks, the definition of a close contact will be tightened and the isolation required cut from 14 days to seven."

If games are able to be played between 16 out of 18 clubs, there’s almost certainly going to be a season that goes ahead. If our border is closed by round 1 (with no exemption for sport), we’ll have the choice of either moving interstate into a hub until the border reopens or sit out the competition for a year.
There is no way in hell the AFL will let the WA clubs sit out for the season. The AFL have a contract

There is no way in hell the AFL will let the WA clubs sit out for the season. The AFL have a contract
There is no way in hell that the WA teams would allow the AFL to sit out the season.
Tv deals and all. Sponsorship etc.
If the Dockers had to sit out they would become a burden on the AFL.
It will never happen.

I don't think this will happen as quarantine will be cut down to 7 days when we get high case numbers.

"When high caseloads are reached in WA, which the Premier hopes will not be for some weeks, the definition of a close contact will be tightened and the isolation required cut from 14 days to seven."
Yeah I'm pretty sure extending beyond Feb 5 was in the hope of keeping Omicron out of WA given the situation over East. If it's here with community spread then they'll in all likelihood revert back to the Feb 5 plan or similar.

It's a matter of when rather than if we get rampant covid here. Just play the season, all the players are vaccinated anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back