Will We Ever Experience the Thrill of GF Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at Geelong for instance

since 1989 , they have made 8 grand finals in 23 years !

that is phenominal ! we havent made 1 since 1961:thumbsdown:

It sucks to be honest !

Since 1985 we have been in 6 preliminary finals, just unable to convert , could have been 6 GF ?

I wasn't born when the Dogs last played in a GF
My parents hadn't even met when the Dogs won the flag
Next year is the 40th year in succesion I will be a member.

The answer is no..

Romero did his shoulder in the qualifying game against Sydney. He was given 2 weeks of recovery time which the club did everything it could to give him a reasonable chance. In hindsight he probably shouldnt have played in the Prelim against Adelaide. Irrespective of that, Romero wasnt the reason we lost the game.. Poor coaching was.

Kicking 6 straight points in the last quarter didn't help either - No excuse, and you cant blame the coach !

From memory, cook missed a gettable goal, romero hit the post from 45 out when cook was all alone in the goal square, libba missed, hudson should have sheperded grant when he was near the goal, Mark West could have ran in another 10 metres and iced the game, so why was the coach responsible for these stupid missed shots?

cheers

Kicking 6 straight points in the last quarter didn't help either - No excuse, and you cant blame the coach !

From memory, cook missed a gettable goal, romero hit the post from 45 out when cook was all alone in the goal square, libba missed, hudson should have sheperded grant when he was near the goal, Mark West could have ran in another 10 metres and iced the game, so why was the coach responsible for these stupid missed shots?

cheers

No.. the coach is not responsible for missed shots, the player matchups is what lost the game

Just look at the matchups in the 4th quarter. Libba on McLeod, Smith on Robran, Curley (I think it was but cant be 100% sure) on Jarman (who tore him (or whoever was playing on him) a new a-hole) while Cameron was warming the bench.

Anyway, the rest is (bad) history

No.. the coach is not responsible for missed shots, the player matchups is what lost the game

Just look at the matchups in the 4th quarter. Libba on McLeod, Smith on Robran, Curley (I think it was but cant be 100% sure) on Jarman (who tore him (or whoever was playing on him) a new a-hole) while Cameron was warming the bench.

Anyway, the rest is (bad) history

i often wonder if we had have beaten the hawks in 85 and beat essendon in the GF that year whether our other prelim finals losses would have been different? Sometimes having success in a club has amazing repercussions for future players

Oh well, i am hoping and praying our time will come soon :D If Geelong can turn it around from all their painful losses in the 90's , i am sure we can

That's it. I've had this argument with a St Kilda mate before. He's at least got to experience the build up, the parade, the open training sessions, putting the streamers on your front window, wearing the scarf and jumper during the week, the buzz on gameday and all that stuff. Us? Never.

He reckons it's not that great if you end up losing. I reckon you don't know what it's like to never experience it unless you, erm, never experience it. He was 5 when St Kilda made their first modern Grand Final. He didn't have to wait long for "the" experience.

On a slightly different note, and maybe because I've never got to do the above, I stopped enjoying Grand Final day somewhere during the past decade, which is a shame. I've met people who cannot fathom that. But I feel like I know I'm right.

My best Grand Final memories are - and this is incredibly sad - vicarious wins at the expense of teams I don't like. Seeing Brisbane win in 2001, Geelong in 2009, Collingwood in 2010 was thrilling for me. Why? Not because of who won, but because of who lost. That cruel joy is the only type I can feel until the team I love wins one.

On Saturday, for the first time ever, I didn't watch the Grand Final at home with the family. I went to a bbq with a large group of people and got drunk and (perhaps not surprisingly) it made the day more bearable, more enjoyable, and prevented my standard "When will our day come?!?!?!?!" frustration, bitterness and reflection. Doing that was definitely the right move. :footy:

PSP18 ..... this is exactly how I feel about Grand Final Day, hence the reason for my original post. I now actually dislike GF week and the only pleasure I get from the day is seeing a team lose that I dont like.

At least my feelings are not alone. ............... the life of a battered Bulldogs supporter lol

i often wonder if we had have beaten the hawks in 85 and beat essendon in the GF that year whether our other prelim finals losses would have been different? Sometimes having success in a club has amazing repercussions for future players

Oh well, i am hoping and praying our time will come soon :D If Geelong can turn it around from all their painful losses in the 90's , i am sure we can

Its almost like one big mental road block that keeps reappearing time and time again. I dont know what it is and why it has dogged (pun intended) the club for so many years.

I think so - Our recent run of success kind of reaffirmed my faith in the club. I was a young tacker in 97', so my first look at any success was the last three years. We can do it. Might not be for another 5 - 10 years, but we'll get there.

And that day will be f***in' sweet.

PSP18 ..... this is exactly how I feel about Grand Final Day, hence the reason for my original post. I now actually dislike GF week and the only pleasure I get from the day is seeing a team lose that I dont like.

At least my feelings are not alone. ............... the life of a battered Bulldogs supporter lol
Yep pretty much the same, the thing that im finding so hard lately is at least one of the teams in the grand final is a team that we have had the wood over in the last decade ie Collingwood, Hawthorn and they have gone past us made it to the big one and won a flag.
I still believe that one day though the drought will break.

That's actually quite a good point. During that time we didn't really go for the jugular and recruit (aside from Akermanis, and to a much lesser extent Ben Hudson).

Compare that to Hawthorn's aggressive needs-based recruiting: Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, Guerra, Dew and surely there's other who I've missed. I read a headline today about them being after Gunston of Adelaide too.

I cant belive you guys just focus on players. Players are just one large component of what is required.

Without the BEST coaches, BEST Medicos, BEST Rehab, BEST conditioning as well as a great list it will not be us at/on GF day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we will make it to a GF in the next 2-5 years
From what i watched at the VFL GH when our young players were playing, when they lost in some of the players eyes you could see the fire in their eyes knowing they throw away the game and (just guessing) they will never want that feeling to happen again.
and with our older players coming back from injuries and a good solid young list, we will become a power house team very soon with McC coaching us, anything is possible.

I reckon we will make it to a GF in the next 2-5 years
From what i watched at the VFL GH when our young players were playing, when they lost in some of the players eyes you could see the fire in their eyes knowing they throw away the game and (just guessing) they will never want that feeling to happen again.
and with our older players coming back from injuries and a good solid young list, we will become a power house team very soon with McC coaching us, anything is possible.
Toot toot

I wasn't born when the Dogs last played in a GF
My parents hadn't even met when the Dogs won the flag
Next year is the 40th year in succesion I will be a member.

The answer is no..
Wow I am so happy I was wrong. Lost all hope it would ever happen for us after the 3 prelims, but in my 44th year as a member I got to go to a GF and saw my team win it.
Driving around the west and seeing all the scarves,flags,jumpers,posters and all things tri-colour proudly displayed makes me proud.

I think so - Our recent run of success kind of reaffirmed my faith in the club. I was a young tacker in 97', so my first look at any success was the last three years. We can do it. Might not be for another 5 - 10 years, but we'll get there.

And that day will be f***in' sweet.

And that, it was...

Wow I am so happy I was wrong. Lost all hope it would ever happen for us after the 3 prelims, but in my 44th year as a member I got to go to a GF and saw my team win it.
Driving around the west and seeing all the scarves,flags,jumpers,posters and all things tri-colour proudly displayed makes me proud.
I am in the same boat with you. It sounds like a dream though haha.

CujvqUSUkAAxX3G.jpg

It was worth the bloody 60 odd year wait , to be in that stadium on that famous day was orgasmic !
If I have to wait another 60 years it will be worth it .
You think KH has lost the plot ? Stick with me.
If I can get enough of us , I am thinking of getting us cryogenically treated , ala Walt Disney.
Around 2070 they will have an answer for everything.
When the Dogs are up and about early September , we get thawed out and off we go to the G.

For all those interested , send $1000 to K Harold , the castle , Riddells Creek

Remove this Banner Ad

Will We Ever Experience the Thrill of GF Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back