Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Three Indigenous WA boys who have all been charged with GBH in recent years.

My theory on it is the jealous 'tall poppy' syndrome amongst their own people mixed with alcohol. If this were any other drunken brawl it would not see the day of light but because these boys have money then the 'victim' is chasing an easy pay day in the way of a pay-off.

Is there anything clubs can do to better prevent players from being exposed to the situation that inevitability gets them into serious trouble or is it all up to the individual?

Don't forget Jurrah. Not GBH and NT not WA but still jailed for one assault and plenty of other incidents.

I'm not sure it's the same tall poppy syndrome as in non-Indigenous culture but I get they must be some form of community resentment or lack of understanding. Of course alcohol is the real issue.

I'm not sure that AFL clubs can do much about indigenous communities, not any time soon. It's too big for the clubs and league to solve overnight.

So maybe the responsibility shifts to the players. Maybe if you recruit an Indigenous guy with some shady characters in his home community you ban them from drinking when they go home. Say to them for their own safety we don't want to draft you if when you head back home you'll put yourself at risk.

We all know Matt Rendell had a potential solution that was a bit too radical but he was hinting at a worrying trend.

Does seem the indigenous guys get in trouble for brawling whilst the white guys - Pendlebury, Schofield recently, Jack Darling - seem to be the ones who get their butts kicked.

The other question is why have Franklin, Ryder, 3 Jetta boys, Chris Yarran, Michael Walters, the Hill brothers and many more all from WA not had any issues at all. It's hardly a WA indigenous footy player rampage.

And what happened with the 3 incidents. Was Marley Williams just a one off big mistake. Krak's was a long running family feud IIRC. Newman seems to have more than just one issue.

"their own people" what an absolute joke of a comment. This isnt a race thing. Many AFL players have had the same issues with the law, and other issues for that matter.

Frequently used by indigenous people, you are being a tad picky.

My theory on it is the jealous 'tall poppy' syndrome amongst their own people mixed with alcohol. If this were any other drunken brawl it would not see the day of light but because these boys have money then the 'victim' is chasing an easy pay day in the way of a pay-off.

Is there anything clubs can do to better prevent players from being exposed to the situation that inevitability gets them into serious trouble or is it all up to the individual?

Don't forget Jurrah. Not GBH and NT not WA but still jailed for one assault and plenty of other incidents.

I'm not sure it's the same tall poppy syndrome as in non-Indigenous culture but I get they must be some form of community resentment or lack of understanding. Of course alcohol is the real issue.

I'm not sure that AFL clubs can do much about indigenous communities, not any time soon. It's too big for the clubs and league to solve overnight.

So maybe the responsibility shifts to the players. Maybe if you recruit an Indigenous guy with some shady characters in his home community you ban them from drinking when they go home. Say to them for their own safety we don't want to draft you if when you head back home you'll put yourself at risk.

We all know Matt Rendell had a potential solution that was a bit too radical but he was hinting at a worrying trend.

Does seem the indigenous guys get in trouble for brawling whilst the white guys - Pendlebury, Schofield recently, Jack Darling - seem to be the ones who get their butts kicked.

The other question is why have Franklin, Ryder, 3 Jetta boys, Chris Yarran, Michael Walters, the Hill brothers and many more all from WA not had any issues at all. It's hardly a WA indigenous footy player rampage.

And what happened with the 3 incidents. Was Marley Williams just a one off big mistake. Krak's was a long running family feud IIRC. Newman seems to have more than just one issue.

Are you ****ing serious?

Its my understanding that Marley Williams is of Maori background not Aboriginal.

Is there anything clubs can do to better prevent players from being exposed to the situation that inevitability gets them into serious trouble or is it all up to the individual Marley Williams is of Maori background .

"their own people" what an absolute joke of a comment. This isnt a race thing. Many AFL players have had the same issues with the law, and other issues for that matter.
rubbish. of course its a race thing.the numbers say so. but hey lets all put our heads in the sand and pretend its just a few who are getting into trouble.
weather its afl or society its an epidemic of drunkeness violence and disrespect with an overriding attitude of you white bastards owe us.

if they get off their arses and make an attempt to improve and better thermselves they may get a bit of sympathy for their situation.

I've had it with you people.

What do you mean "you people"?

What do YOU mean "you people"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back