Wimmera Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look out for Warrack Eagles Dean Gunn to poll well in the toohey.

Warrack people are kidding themselves if they think gunn, krahe or okley will be up there because they are going to win maybe 1 more if they are lucky. Tuckey looks to have it sown up, with mcfarlene, bligh, kosch till injured, to be not far away. Not sure for the diggers mayb mibus if he can attract the umpires eye. Would be surprised if any one from horsham gets it with the even contribution, batchelor maybe if the umpires reward him from swan diving 50 times a quarter every week. If dimmy get a few more wins on the board mcfarlene could look to get another toohey. With the finals series looking like it could be the most entertaining in years. Stawell have broken the streak which will give united, and dimboola to a lesser extent a belief horsham is now beatable. Both clubs face trying to find the right team chemistry to mix it with stawell and horsham as they both have the lists. Look for minyip/muroa to fall away as the loss to ararat rules them out asa genuine contender. Rely on too few to get the job done with youngsters such as delahunty's will b tested too far in the harder faster footy of finals

Mid Season Report:

Demons - have carried on their winning fashion this year with the inclusions of fromer demon aaron barnett and lachie woodward strengthening a very good team. Jarrod Wright is back up and going and will help come finals time. Minor slip up against stawell and game v dimmy could prove interesting. The form of johns has been slipping due to injury and without johns i would rate horsham as the third best in the competition. Luke Carr is the key to horsham winning again, a solid performance with plenty of assists and goals will deliver the demons another flag.

Stawell - Big improverand understandably so with the inclusion of Tuckey and also Simon Farrer. Abraham will be missed but have others who can help fill the void. Tuckey took a few rounds to adjust to the wimmera leagueand new teammates and since he has stawell have looked impeccable with a great win over the D's. Potent forward line and key to premeirship success is Dan Matthews and Ben Williamson. If these two can break even with the opposing forwards stawell is home with the firepower of tucker, farrer, nicholson potter, etc.

United - Big list of ins this season with none more important than mibus. Has dominated the airways and look forward to possible finals match ups of mibus v tuckey or mibus v carr. Has all the attributes and needs big name players to step up and help out at the diggers. Millar has been dissapointing and if he could find form infront of goals look out. Combe has been potent but needs others to step up and match his output. Has as good a side as the top two on paper but haven't clicked, could be premiership winner if team gels soon.

Min/Mur - Very experienced side with a nice blendof youth. Have been challenging the top 3 but with the injury to kosch and the age of the team will have to rely on the youngsters to carry them over the line into the finals. Rely on kosch and midgley for too many of their goals and other teams should be able to shut these two out of the game and take the points.

Dimboola - possibly the best side on paper in the comp but that counts for nothing as controversy surrounding the team is drawing attention away from lacklustre performances on the field. The shining light for them has been peter mcfarlene who has carried them throught this far with some help from clugston. Supporter base dwindling and rumours of the financial backer in deep troubel has put a big question in the hearts and heads of players and supporters. If we don't win it this year, will we ever........ Look for this to either unite the team or tear it apart as each player tries to increase his market value. Sleeping giant who could wake at any moment................ but probably won't

Nhill - Probably the biggest over achievers so far with a one-point victory over bitter rivals dimboola and solid form in early matches. Since losing to minyip/murtoa have looked a shade of the team of early round which would be eating at the heart of gun coach davdson. With key players schumann, wilksch and price leaving not much hope was held of a good season. Gary has got the most out of a team with no genuine out and out guns but very handy players in the form of lannin, fritsch, graham and beer. Lack of talls and experience a major problem but promising signs and the potential of davidson could attract players to probably the best club in the wimmera. The strong supporter base and lack of mercanaries at nhill could arm them for a tilt at the flag in the near future

Ararat - For a club that nearly folded at the start of the season, have got better with time. A clinch win over minyip/murtoa shows they still have the potentcy to cause upsets. The old guard of jackson, walton, bligh and fratin have helped develop the team into a better side. Unearthing youngster Aiden Bell has been a big bonus and could provide a great avenue to goal for the future for the rats. Finals not out of the question but not probable with the future looking brighter for the club

Warrack - Lacking depth with their good players being good and their bad players being very bad. Have a good blend of youth and experience but miss genuine 25 yo gun midfielders and forwards. RElying on the old stewards too heavily. Nick Germano who could be a future captain/coach of the club has been dissapointing and really needs to step up like the bells, grahams, barnetts have in the past. Trying to rebuild after buying a premiership and could linger around the bootom for a while yet

Saints - Can't attract any star players, have no depth, lost good players, the list goes on. Players like burdett, watson and burgess have left this club on its knees by goin off to play for the highest bidder in a substandard district league. Have unearthed some good youngsters but the club looks on its way to dropping back to district league or even worse, folding. Hopefully sign some gun recruits for next season and if the demons don't win the flag may be able to attract a few more locals to the club. Will keep warrack company pushing up the foundations of the ladder for a while to come

Does anybody on here recall CRAIG TURNER from Ararat...played in the late '80s or thereabouts...

Was wondering if any of you on this thread recall a Craig Turner who I am fairly sure played with Ararat in the late 80's...This chappie joined Woodville Football Club in the SANFL ( yours truly being a Woody supporter!) in 1990, and was sent packing after two pre-season games! He bore a resemblance to Stewie Maxfield former Richmond & Sydney player, but only physically believe me...LOL!

He was a rover that could hardly get a kick and putting it politely WAS BLOODY HOPELESS!! Seemed like he didn't know what to do and where to be on the " field of play "! But he may have been horribly homesick and couldn't show us his " magic " here in Adelaide town. Might sound a bit harsh on the boy, but how was he rated in Ararat? You may violently disagree with my views, but perhaps he played the worst two games of his life in his very short Woodville career?! All feedback welcome....

Big W. I would like to know why you think Warrack bought the flag that you mention in your mid season report. 2 other clubs in the wimmera league would of spent around the same money that year & the side was mainly made up of local Brim/Warracknabeal players. They were very lucky to win it anyway. Ararat were by far the best team by far all year!

Big W. I would like to know why you think Warrack bought the flag that you mention in your mid season report. 2 other clubs in the wimmera league would of spent around the same money that year & the side was mainly made up of local Brim/Warracknabeal players. They were very lucky to win it anyway. Ararat were by far the best team by far all year!

Most were locals but 19 out of the 21 were getting paid handsomely to play!!

Does anybody on here recall CRAIG TURNER from Ararat...played in the late '80s or thereabouts...

Was wondering if any of you on this thread recall a Craig Turner who I am fairly sure played with Ararat in the late 80's...This chappie joined Woodville Football Club in the SANFL ( yours truly being a Woody supporter!) in 1990, and was sent packing after two pre-season games! He bore a resemblance to Stewie Maxfield former Richmond & Sydney player, but only physically believe me...LOL!

He was a rover that could hardly get a kick and putting it politely WAS BLOODY HOPELESS!! Seemed like he didn't know what to do and where to be on the " field of play "! But he may have been horribly homesick and couldn't show us his " magic " here in Adelaide town. Might sound a bit harsh on the boy, but how was he rated in Ararat? You may violently disagree with my views, but perhaps he played the worst two games of his life in his very short Woodville career?! All feedback welcome....

Well Big Fella, pretty explosive comments there buddy. From your recent posts I can only presume that you infact have a sound knowledge of the Wimmera area and would not be able to provide such a well written and acurate mid season report if you were not in the wimmera area. But anyway, since Craig is a relative of mine who I respect greatly, I will play the game and fill you in on what I'm sure you already know.
In the mid 90's he travelled to HDFL club Rupanyup and played an integral part in the 3peat premierships for the Panthers. Whilst there he met a local girl and married and still plays at Rup and I think he may actually have played in a fourth flag. ( not sure as he was dropped for a flag after not being able to commit because of work commitments ). He did have a couple of years out of the game where he ran marathons.
Now, as far as being "BLOODY HOPELESS" as you put it, I can only presume that since you stated that you were a "woody supporter", you infact could not get a game for the very side that he managed to have a very short career with, thus rendering your negative comments uncalled for. But anyway thats your opinion, but I reckon at the age of 36 he still goes alright and as I said, is a bloke who I personally respect as a footballer and person - Thats my opinion!

May have been the best team during the year, unfortunately for Ararat not on the one day that counts. Warrack kicked 15 points in the final quarter to win by the same margin, so for the best team by far all year, they had plenty of chances to beat the best team of the year. BAD LUCK!:)

Well Big Fella, pretty explosive comments there buddy. From your recent posts I can only presume that you infact have a sound knowledge of the Wimmera area and would not be able to provide such a well written and acurate mid season report if you were not in the wimmera area. But anyway, since Craig is a relative of mine who I respect greatly, I will play the game and fill you in on what I'm sure you already know.

Methinks, you may have me confused with The Big W, who I noticed posts here, but I am from Adelaide and know " diddly squat " about the Wimmera League! The only reason I came on here was to find out if anyone knew Craig Turner by chance...
Thanks matey for your honest feedback, and I certainly didn't wish to offend Craig or indeed yourself! I assumed after leaving Adelaide he had perhaps returned to Ararat or thereabouts. Good to hear he got to play in a few premierships! Did he say much about his brief Woodville (SANFL) Career, and the reasons given for his departure? Or maybe he left on his own accord...Cheers, The Big Warrior.

Ah, yes Big Warrior I did get you confused, my fault. No I have never thought to ask, but I will, and send you a PM.

Most were locals but 19 out of the 21 were getting paid handsomely to play!!

Do you think Horsham, Stawell, United & Dimboola pay a lot of there players handsomely. It's a fact in country football these days that if you want to win a flag you have to pay for handsomely for it. By the way i think that having 19 locals? in that team was a credit in itself.

Big Warrior. Whats the story with Tim Inkster this year. Have not seen his name mentioned in the Sun in the better players or goal kickers for quite a long time. Is he still playing at Woodville?

I hear Kosch from M/Murtoa broke his arm against Ararat at the weekend, that will be a big loss for them!. That might end their chanses for a top five finnish? Who might that open a door for?:eek:

Looking forward to watching the big clash at HCO this Sunday, as the Rats take on United. Do the Rats have any sort of chance on the proviso Frato has a blinder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to watching the big clash at HCO this Sunday, as the Rats take on United. Do the Rats have any sort of chance on the proviso Frato has a blinder?

Blokes like u shit me! No team relies on any 1 player. As an observer the young rats match up well against the tigers. Even with a large player loss this year they appear to still have quality key possition winners right down the spine. I believe the rats WILL have a confidence boosting win this w/end regardless how the big 'Fratto' goes!!! :cool:

Blokes like u shit me! No team relies on any 1 player. As an observer the young rats match up well against the tigers. Even with a large player loss this year they appear to still have quality key possition winners right down the spine. I believe the rats WILL have a confidence boosting win this w/end regardless how the big 'Fratto' goes!!! :cool:
I think the game will be more competitive than people think also. Obviously Fratin is huge for the Rats but youve also got Bligh, Jackson who is due for a blinder, Benny Harrison who can play a key position role or wing then some young blokes like Jake Miocic, the Hamilton boys and also the young goal scoring machine Bell. In my opinion there just a few standouts but overall the team is really well balanced and most importantly plays as a team ( which some sides dont ). So hopefully a good day and the boys can bring home the points.

Big Warrior. Whats the story with Tim Inkster this year. Have not seen his name mentioned in the Sun in the better players or goal kickers for quite a long time. Is he still playing at Woodville?

Cheers, C.W.T.B. Follow the SANFL from somewhat of a distance these days, but pretty sure that Tim Inkster suffered a long term injury earlier this season. Don't quote me but I think he may be back a little later this year.

Have seen him play he reminds me in a funny way of Luke Power from Brisbane. Does he hail from the Wimmera League originally??....

Big news David Johns is out of the Horsham v Warrack Eagles Class At Brim with Knee Soreness this will give their kids chances to Step up like they did the day Johns got Yellow Carded in 3rd Qtr and didn't return .
Johns Wise to rest it as its not worth making it worse and end up missing weeks and miss out on another possible Grandfinal Which is the Way Horsham Likely heading that way unless other sides follow Stawell and Beat em.

The Eagles will repeat their winning performance in front of the 1977 Warracknabeal Lions Premiership sides .
Would like to Repeat it in Font of the 1987 Southern Mallee Premiership Side Brim Eagles Players in their Reunion on Satuday.

United will beat Ararat by 60pts +.Ararat are playing well and will win a few more games in 07 but lack depth to beat a top 3 side.Ararats best 5 or 6 is as good as any side in the comp however they dont have the timber,experience,and backline to keep united from kicking 17+ goals ffor the day saying that ararat have the forwards to kick just as much.to do that they will need bligh to play forward,if so that will weaken there midfield and thats where the diggers will get on top and feed it to miller on a spoon who is due to kick 10.It will be a good contest though..my opinion

United will beat Ararat by 60pts +.Ararat are playing well and will win a few more games in 07 but lack depth to beat a top 3 side.Ararats best 5 or 6 is as good as any side in the comp however they dont have the timber,experience,and backline to keep united from kicking 17+ goals ffor the day saying that ararat have the forwards to kick just as much.to do that they will need bligh to play forward,if so that will weaken there midfield and thats where the diggers will get on top and feed it to miller on a spoon who is due to kick 10.It will be a good contest though..my opinion
As you stated it is your opinion but i disagree! The young rats match up really well against them. If i can recall combe kicked about 8-9 goals last time and he was the difference on that day and with him out is a big loss!!:eek:

As you stated it is your opinion but i disagree! The young rats match up really well against them. If i can recall combe kicked about 8-9 goals last time and he was the difference on that day and with him out is a big loss!!:eek:
You must have recalled pretty well:
DIGGERS 21.14.140
ARARAT 7.6.48
I THINK COMBES 8 DID HELP BUT SO DID MILLERS 6 AND SO ON,THERS A LOT AF CATCHING UP TO DO IF U THINK THE RATS WILL IMPROVE ON THE 92 PTS THEY LOST TO THE DIGGERS EARLY IN THE YEAR bangeranmash i think youve been mashed up well and truly.

You must have recalled pretty well:
DIGGERS 21.14.140
ARARAT 7.6.48
I THINK COMBES 8 DID HELP BUT SO DID MILLERS 6 AND SO ON,THERS A LOT AF CATCHING UP TO DO IF U THINK THE RATS WILL IMPROVE ON THE 92 PTS THEY LOST TO THE DIGGERS EARLY IN THE YEAR bangeranmash i think youve been mashed up well and truly.
To know your maths you must have been around for a while so you so realise if you have two key forwards they are going to be hard to beat but when one is missing you then can concentrate only on one which makes it a lot easier!!!:thumbsu:

To know your maths you must have been around for a while so you so realise if you have two key forwards they are going to be hard to beat but when one is missing you then can concentrate only on one which makes it a lot easier!!!:thumbsu:
You made the point that combe was the difference on the day when he snagged 8 they didnt win by 30/40 points they won by 92 so it was more than 2 key forwards being the difference.
whats maths got to do with stating facts.
Also mate 37 scoring shots to 14 that tells me that there midfield was way on top as well but ararat mach up on them well

I think the game will be more competitive than people think also. Obviously Fratin is huge for the Rats but youve also got Bligh, Jackson who is due for a blinder, Benny Harrison who can play a key position role or wing then some young blokes like Jake Miocic, the Hamilton boys and also the young goal scoring machine Bell. In my opinion there just a few standouts but overall the team is really well balanced and most importantly plays as a team ( which some sides dont ). So hopefully a good day and the boys can bring home the points.
HOPEFULLY MORE COMPETIVE THAN THE 92 PT DRUBBING EARLIER ON IN THE YEAR MATE.I DO THINK THOUGH THE BOYS CAN BRING HOME THE PIONTS........IN THE U/17S

HOPEFULLY MORE COMPETIVE THAN THE 92 PT DRUBBING EARLIER ON IN THE YEAR MATE.I DO THINK THOUGH THE BOYS CAN BRING HOME THE PIONTS........IN THE U/17S
I forgot to mention earkier on in the thread Brad Wilson across half back. I think he has had a standout year for the rats in will be in with a real show to take out there B&F.

In the mid 90's he travelled to HDFL club Rupanyup and played an integral part in the 3peat premierships for the Panthers. Whilst there he met a local girl and married and still plays at Rup and I think he may actually have played in a fourth flag. ( not sure as he was dropped for a flag after not being able to commit because of work commitments ). He did have a couple of years out of the game where he ran marathons.
Now, as far as being "BLOODY HOPELESS" as you put it, I can only presume that since you stated that you were a "woody supporter", you infact could not get a game for the very side that he managed to have a very short career with, thus rendering your negative comments uncalled for. But anyway thats your opinion, but I reckon at the age of 36 he still goes alright and as I said, is a bloke who I personally respect as a footballer and person - Thats my opinion!

Its not often that I would agree with you JIM JIM, But I played against and worked with "STICK" and I agree with your comments , I think you'll find that he also played in a few Premierships with the old Caleys back in the mid 80's.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back