Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Rebuilding through the draft being the only way to ensure future success is pretty overrated.

Everyone banging on about the Pies, saying "ohhhh it's pretty risky to not load up on picks, blah blah", since our last Grand Final appearance prior to winning the flag, here are our top draft picks:

2018: GF Appearance
2019: Pick 40 - Jay Rantall (not on the list 2023)
2020: Pick 17 - Oliver Henry (not on the list 2023)
2021: FS Selection - Nick Daicos (used picks 38, 40, 42, 44)
2022: Pick 19 - Ed Allan (2 games in 2024, 0 in 2023)
2023: Pick 25 - Harry DeMattia (0 games)
2023: Flag

Ross Lyon isn’t perfect but you’re not seriously comparing him and Matthew Nicks are you? Nicks and Alan Richardson is the more apt comparison. Your club isn’t very good and even worse stands for nothing.
You think your list is anything other than average? That's my main gripe. Adelaide may have lost the plot in the last 7 years but let's be clear, if vanilla AFL club was a trivia question Saints would have to be the answer.

What do you think your club stands for?

Hawthorn, Richmond and Adelaide smashed it.

West Coast, Port and North all confuse me.

I'd say Geelong smashed it too. Holding out for a later pick swap which wasnt really that much of a pick swap has them winning the Smith trade. Would they really have cancelled the trade if the Dogs gave back a pick in the 50s?

Roos are a basketcase. They have to pay overs because they are desperate.

West Coast tried to be clever last Friday and spent the rest of trade period scrambling.

Apparently they chose our futures over Carlton's too. So that could be another thing to bite them. Blues arent magically stronger next year unless their pick 3 jumps out of the gate and gives Cripps and Walsh the help they need.

Hawks should leak far fewer goals next year with 2 strong key defenders, and Sicily can play Full Forward if Battle slots in well at CHB.

Rebuilding through the draft being the only way to ensure future success is pretty overrated.

Everyone banging on about the Pies, saying "ohhhh it's pretty risky to not load up on picks, blah blah", since our last Grand Final appearance prior to winning the flag, here are our top draft picks:

2018: GF Appearance
2019: Pick 40 - Jay Rantall (not on the list 2023)
2020: Pick 17 - Oliver Henry (not on the list 2023)
2021: FS Selection - Nick Daicos (used picks 38, 40, 42, 44)
2022: Pick 19 - Ed Allan (2 games in 2024, 0 in 2023)
2023: Pick 25 - Harry DeMattia (0 games)
2023: Flag
Daicos was in effect the no1 draft pick

All 18 clubs did business.

4 clubs brought in players and lost no one. (NM, Fremantle, Haw, Geel).

4 clubs let players go and brought in no one. (Rich, BL, Syd, Ess).

In no particular order I'd say Richmond did very well. Very strong draft hand for this year, which they can also pick trade into next year to spread out the list build. Would be hoping to get 4-5 200 gamers onto the list. Hawthorn also did well. Have little in terms of draft hand but found 2 key pieces that fill areas of weakness, and make them a far better unit in 2025.

Carlton and NM for mine are a watch. Think Haynes has not much footy left, but they also lost little of note. A lot depends on what pick 3 becomes, as well as Camporeale F/S, overall getting pick 3 wasn't as big a steal as is made out, still a good deal but it is 2x R1 and 1 F2 out the door to get it.

North finished bottom 4 and have pick 2 and nothing else before 60. Daniel, Darling and Parker need to provide solid senior experience for it to be a good period given this.

Ditto Adelaide. I'm sure their fans will be expecting finals in 2025 under Nicks but like North have a top pick and nothing before 60 after that. Do Peatling, Cumming and ANB move the needle. I'm not sold they do comparatively to the rest of the comp. 2024 finalists have improved and non finalists like Coll, Fremantle have made more substantial improvements.

Losers would have to be Port Adelaide and West Coast.

Port now have Lukosius and Ratugolea eating up 1.5m of cap space and yet neither probably answer their forward or defensive issues. Folding like a cheap suit on Houston, who had 3 years to run was staggeringly bad business. Overall weaker next year than this one imo.

West Coast not only also folded cheaply on Barrass with multiple years left but also gave up pick 3 very cheaply, traded out valuable draft capital while rebuilding, confusingly also trading in two players 27-28yo, both of which are role players, this is what clubs gearing up to contend do. Confusing business.

Essendon are losers through inactivity, missed finals, have no R1 pick and sat on their hands and did nothing. Not confident their list has enough organic growth to take the next step without offseason trading. Who replaced Stringer's goals..

As for my own club. Have a weak draft hand for this year, will hope to find a gem or two of course. But secured a known talent with 10 years of footy left while preserving next year's draft hand. Pick 17 may be a good player, we've got more certainty with Smith instead. Happy enough overall
Essendon were an interesting case over the week
Seemed to be very lethargic with no real targets identified

The problem is Rioli has never been an AA and he is 27. Not many players who are 27 and never been an All Australian are worth a pick like pick 6. Pick 13 by itself seems like a much fairer trade.
Would you say Pick 8 was too much for Adam Saad? Similar age, same position and wasn’t an AA either. He was OOC too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed something you didn't mention.......You got reamed by WC for Barrass.

Reamed? Let’s assume Hawks improve next year, let’s also assume it’s a weaker draft next year with more NGAs and FS pushing picks back. The deal for Barrass could end up looking like pick 16, 40ish, 60ish with a pick in 70’s going back to Hawks.
Every chance Eagles could even pass on the Future 3rd pick or it’s chewed up matching a FS.
Hardly reamed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Adelaide A
Brisbane D
Carlton B-
Collingwood B+
Essendon C-
Fremantle B
GCS B+
Geelong A
GWS D-
Hawthorn A+
Melbourne C
North Melb C
Port B
Richmond B+
St Kilda B
Sydney D-
West Coast C+
Bulldogs C+
Oppos and media can't admit Richmond won the draft.
Like Fonzie admitting he is wrong.

We're the losers.

Could have been all wrapped up on day 1, but it's milked for 10 days to sell tyres.
I honestly wonder at the return on investment on that advertising. I assume it costs them next to nothing but at the same time whose listening into trade radio that’s likely to be convinced they need new tires?

You can't be judged on this Trade* period for 3-4 years minimum,

Yes you have good draft picks but if they all suck it's unsuccessful if they all start it obviously was
That logic applies to every club - if every player brought in sucks, every pick brought in sucks, then it is unsuccessful.

Why do ratings then?

I think what we are rating is who got the best value transactionally for the trades that happened. Geelong and Hawthorn probably win there, followed by Richmond.

I honestly wonder at the return on investment on that advertising. I assume it costs them next to nothing but at the same time whose listening into trade radio that’s likely to be convinced they need new tires?
I honestly never once listened to trade radio, I just got updates from BF lol

That logic applies to every club - if every player brought in sucks, every pick brought in sucks, then it is unsuccessful.

Why do ratings then?

I think what we are rating is who got the best value transactionally for the trades that happened. Geelong probably wins there, followed by Richmond.
Because the players brought in you can judge off what they have produced at AFL level and have more scope 2013 Jack Billings was considered a can't miss pick and Marcus Bontempelli was a huge bolter

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back