Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay only needs to remain fit and he will be good for 40+ goals.
Mihocek another 45+ and who knows what they get from Kreuger, McInnes or Johnson.

It's their back-line which is the concern. They needed to bring in another key defender.
McStay has never kicked more than 28 in a season. Next year will be his 12th season

Shout-out to Hawthorn and Adelaide, too, fwiw.
Adelaide got in some handy players who are ready to go for a pretty modest outlay. Flew under my radar at least.
Hawthorn targeted some defensive help and got two blokes who are ready to go.

Adelaide SUPER underrated trade period.

Add 3 mature aged, best 22 players in Neal-Bullen, Cumming and Peatling and go into draft night with a top 5 pick.

Nicks finally getting games into players such as Dowling and Taylor (who both looked up to it) means they'll head into 2025 with more depth than they've enjoyed in a long time.

If Thrillthorpe and Fogarty can stay fit all season, as well as Murray, Butts and the tall defensive end, then they should be looking at 10 wins minimum next year.

McStay only needs to remain fit and he will be good for 40+ goals.
Mihocek another 45+ and who knows what they get from Kreuger, McInnes or Johnson.

It's their back-line which is the concern. They needed to bring in another key defender.
They’re not getting anything out of Kreuger seeing they’ve just delisted him

Going to have a quick crack at ranking the trade periods. I'm not just looking at number of points in or out but how I think clubs gave themselves the best chance to improve. So if they're rated low I think they made changes that hurt them, if they're in the middle they probably did very little or just minimised damage and the teams at the top I think made moves to change the trajectory of their success positively.

1. Adelaide - three running players to round their side out, ANB and Peatling I expect to have really positive impacts.
2. Collingwood - secured the best player in the trade period. Perryman as a FA also a good get.
3. Fremantle - secured the second best player in the trade period. Spurned picks for a shot at a flag.
4. Hawthorn - I think Barass in plus battle is possibly over-egging the omelette but if it works like the Hawks intend they'll be in a prelim next year.
5. Geelong - got a potential match winner relatively cheaply. Smith at his best will pair with Holmes very nicely.
6. Richmond - outstanding haul of picks. Dropped because I think they'll miss the players that got them very dearly.
7. Carlton - rare for a finals side to get a top 3 pick. We've seen what players like Daicos and Ashcroft can do early in a good side and the Blues have given themselves a chance to add a player of that sort of quality.
8. Brisbane - they've got all the points they need for L. Ashcroft and Marshall. Won a flag and won't miss Sharp.
9. Gold Coast - Rioli a good addition but you won't expect much from Noble and Himmelberg. Spent a king's ransom of picks for not much.
10. Melbourne - lost ANB but brought in a second top ten pick. 5 & 9 is not a bad place to start rebuilding.
11. Sydney - they'll miss Parker and brought in no one.
12. Essendon - trading out<trading up. Kako will be a good fit but Essendon really need another go at multiple top 10 talents.
13. Western Bulldogs - got their depth raided just before they'd hope to be having another crack at a flag.
14. North Melbourne - overspent on ageing players. Parker a good get but I don't rate Darling or Daniel helping on field.
15. St Kilda - Battle out kills them and Macrae in doesn't do enough.
16. West Coast - trade out of the top 3, again. They're doing a rebuild on Nightmare Mode.
17. Port Adelaide - Davies promised the world and delivered an atlas.
18. GWS - lucky Caruso is about at the top of the drafting game because they had their depth annihilated. I don't rate the Stringer addition considering they have a glut of small and tall forwards demanding games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and losers - trade week 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back