Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

In Perth for example are they expecting girls who follow West Coast to follow the Freo women's team?

I see where you are coming from, but I look at it this way.

In those pre AFL days when people followed their WAFL sides, I had the problem of being in the East Perth zone and was expected to don the Royals jumper for inter WAFL zone games. The problem was that I was a died in the wool Swan Districts supporter ( this was when they were useless, pre Boucher & Baker days ). How could I don a Royals jumper ?, easy ...... I wanted to play, my local team was East Perth, I would wear the jumper. When on the sidelines watching the League teams, Swans had my heart.

In relation to the women, if they want to play at the elite level in WA, they don the Freo jumper. When the Eagles boys player, they can still support the Eagles.

I don't really. I'm basing it on what i've seen and experienced.

What you consider tough against other women isn't comparable to playing against males. I've been around women's Gaelic footballers/Camogie players for 15 years as a club mate and spectator.

They cannot take hits from men like they do from women.
My daughter has broken both collarbones from playing Aussie Rules. Been knocked out several times too.

Hasn't curbed her enthusiasm or her willingness to keep putting her head over the pill.

I played Gaelic football for a season and I see far bigger hits most weeks in women's football than I ever saw playing Gaelic.

Gaelic is for soccer players not skilled enough to play soccer.

Ok . . . so you're drawing a very long bow because you fear some Islamic women might play football at the highest level.

I'm guessing you're aware that some Islamic women already play football? Since you seem more concerned about "safety" than the people they play against I"ll end this conversation here.

It's not a long bow. Sorry, but have you ever played any sport? Sure doesn't sound like it if you call a common occurrence a "very long bow" Another couch expert with no practical experience?

Do tell me, if a player is running along the wing and they get scragged by the tackler who grabs a piece of head wear hanging down their back is that a legit tackle or is it head high?

Yes I'm aware of some Islamic women playing football, there was a piece on TV not long back highlighting it. Thus my question regarding head ware as their head ware was down past their shoulders and could easily be grabbed hold of or get caught up in other limbs.

My daughter has broken both collarbones from playing Aussie Rules. Been knocked out several times too.

Hasn't curbed her enthusiasm or her willingness to keep putting her head over the pill.

I played Gaelic football for a season and I see far bigger hits most weeks in women's football than I ever saw playing Gaelic.

Gaelic is for soccer players not skilled enough to play soccer.

Who did you play for? Most Gaelic footballers are actually hurlers before soccer players. Let me guess, you think Hurling is a soft sport too.

Well if women can take and give hits like men why do we need women's comps? Why not just have mixed football then.

You sound like you'd be OK with your daughter playing agaisnt men because she can take hits from these big bad women. That the jist of it?

Who did you play for? Most Gaelic footballers are actually hurlers before soccer players. Let me guess, you think Hurling is a soft sport too.

Well if women can take and give hits like men why do we need women's comps? Why not just have mixed football then.

You sound like you'd be OK with your daughter playing agaisnt men because she can take hits from these big bad women. That the jist of it?
Is anyone actually suggesting that women will have to play against men in this new league? Because I have to admit, I've missed that.

Touched by your concern for the women mate.

So to recap, women being encouraged to play sport is a bad idea because it might result in them getting hurt by a transgender woman, or because they might be wearing a hijab and someone might get hurt by that.

Nope, you're recapping skills suck. I think you were touched on the brain when you were born.

Only a myopic brain couldn't comprehend that this has been an issue that's been raised in other womens sports. But yes, let's not have a civil debate over something that could happen if we're all about inclusiveness in the AFL.

Let's act like a prize w***er instead aye.

[qupte]
We probably shouldn't let them drive cars either because they might have their period and be unable to drive safely.[/quote]

Moronic comment.

What other long bow examples of how women might get hurt by doing activities they like doing can we come up with to tell them how to live their life?

Let nobody ever accuse you of intelligent debate.

No I don't think either sport is soft. Just don't see Gaelic as a measure of toughness (played in Adelaide when they were playing games out near Klemzig)

I wouldn't fear her playing against men of a similar standard and ability.

Nope, you're recapping skills suck. I think you were touched on the brain when you were born.

Only a myopic brain couldn't comprehend that this has been an issue that's been raised in other womens sports. But yes, let's not have a civil debate over something that could happen if we're all about inclusiveness in the AFL.

Let's act like a prize ****** instead aye.

We probably shouldn't let them drive cars either because they might have their period and be unable to drive safely.

Moronic comment.

Let nobody ever accuse you of intelligent debate.
Ignoring your charming comments, and inability to use the quote function successfully, isn't it up to women to decide whether they're comfortable to participate in the sport, given the level of physical risk? There's physical risk in any contact sport, so why is it only a problem when it's a sport that women play?

..anyway, there's a terrific discussion on the Carlton board on the topic and its positive effect on the sport around Australia. You guys should come over and join in.....particularly you Saints and Geelong supporters!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, someone seems to be suggesting that women hit as hard as men though. Thus why they shouldn't play against each other obviously.

I don't understand how this has gone from not wanting to watch a substandard product or pour money into a lost cause to concern for the safety of women if a transgender person decided to play or religious headwear is worn. It seems this might be an issue for all female contacts sports on both counts and individual sports on one account.

So what is your solution?

No I don't think either sport is soft. Just don't see Gaelic as a measure of toughness (played in Adelaide when they were playing games out near Klemzig)

I saw Sean Wight knocked out in a Gaelic football match I was playing in in the late 90's. It was a very rough league in Victoria during those times. can't comment on the SA

I wouldn't fear her playing against men of a similar standard and ability.

Jesus man, I'd be terrified for your daughter if she was playing against men in a full contact game.

An 85kg man and an 85 kg woman are nothing a like in football and athletic terms.

The speed of a man at that weight will be significantly higher on average when he tackles or makes impact with your kid.

I've seen plenty of 85kg women running around and they aren't getting up to any great speeds. Sure they are big when they hit, but nothing like the same force of the hits of a guy that size and speed can give.

I don't understand how this has gone from not wanting to watch a substandard product or pour money into a lost cause to concern for the safety of women if a transgender person decided to play or religious headwear is worn. It seems this might be an issue for all female contacts sports on both counts and individual sports on one account.

So what is your solution?

I was simply quizzical about what the potential policy might be for certain things which could need to be addressed with a women's league in a time of inclusiveness. maybe it was in my head because I saw that South African track runner at a meet the other day.

You might be right that it's an issue for all female contact sports. So is there anything wrong in finding out what the answer is if someone can shed light on it?

"Turbans and Chadors are a safety risk."
"Transgender players will have an advantage."
"Those pesky shielas just aren't up to my standards."

Forgive my cynicism, but you'd almost think Captain Catholic is searching for a reason to be outraged.

I'm an agnostic. I believe there is some intelligent design out there, it's just not anywhere around you.

I was simply quizzical about what the potential policy might be for certain things which could need to be addressed with a women's league in a time of inclusiveness. maybe it was in my head because I saw that South African track runner at a meet the other day.

You might be right that it's an issue for all female contact sports. So is there anything wrong in finding out what the answer is if someone can shed light on it?

I was just curious that you were negative about the product overall, then became further negative about the product for let's face it, rare circumstances that might arise. I guess like most sports, the AFL are going to have to cross that bridge when they come to it.

I am not that interested.

I watch netball, woman's basketball and Cricket but this just all seems a bit forced.

I get the AFL have to sell a positive message but personally I think it has been a bit over the top. When that kind of thing happens I tend to lose interest.

So the comp is off to a compromised start, wonder what Eddie will say about this.

Surely this isn't a surprise. 'Captain and BnF winner wants to stay at club.'

What's more, and taking my MFC hat off, Melbourne have been the club in this. Melbourne pushed the exhibition games and found an ally in the Dogs. It was a Melbourne home game for the first game - in fact I believe most of the matches have been MFC home games. It was Melbourne who signed both Daisy and Michelle Cowan back in February and chased them regardless of circumstances - Cowan works 4 days a fortnight in Melbourne as her family is in Perth. It was Peter Jackson doing much of the stumping for the women's league.

Melbourne didn't have to do one iota of it. But without their influence do you think today would have happened this year? Ten years maybe. But a continuous commitment from the club going back to 2013 has seen women's football go from diddly squat to a national league.

I was just curious that you were negative about the product overall, then became further negative about the product for let's face it, rare circumstances that might arise. I guess like most sports, the AFL are going to have to cross that bridge when they come to it.

I'm negative about how it's being done. No issue with building it up from a more solid grass roots system than what we have now. Have stated that many times.

Not a fan of the system of throwing lots of money at the top end of something and gambling on that it then trickles down to the lower levels and hope it grows from that.

Anyways I shall now bow out of this conversation. As always ODN nice debating with you.

I'm negative about how it's being done. No issue with building it up from a more solid grass roots system than what we have now. Have stated that many times.

Not a fan of the system of throwing lots of money at the top end of something and gambling on that it then trickles down to the lower levels and hope it grows from that.

Anyways I shall now bow out of this conversation. As always ODN nice debating with you.

I'm not a fan of trickle down economics either, but then I am sceptical that the money makes it down to the lower reaches anywhere near as expected. In this case though, it's all the same product and they need the grass roots to keep feeding the top end in a more tangible fashion ... like they will literally collapse without ensuring regular players are coming through.

Right now, they compete with other sports, offer something to aspire to, then hit the grass roots to grow this thing from the top and bottom.

It seems to me that the argument that the grass roots should be nurtured first is really an admission that you haven't been paying attention. Women's footy has been growing massively over the last few years, from the ground up.
It's now time to give the girls and young women something to aspire to.

Surely this isn't a surprise. 'Captain and BnF winner wants to stay at club.'

What's more, and taking my MFC hat off, Melbourne have been the club in this. Melbourne pushed the exhibition games and found an ally in the Dogs. It was a Melbourne home game for the first game - in fact I believe most of the matches have been MFC home games. It was Melbourne who signed both Daisy and Michelle Cowan back in February and chased them regardless of circumstances - Cowan works 4 days a fortnight in Melbourne as her family is in Perth. It was Peter Jackson doing much of the stumping for the women's league.

Melbourne didn't have to do one iota of it. But without their influence do you think today would have happened this year? Ten years maybe. But a continuous commitment from the club going back to 2013 has seen women's football go from diddly squat to a national league.

Melbourne and the Dogs cant seriously have expected to keep all the best talent just because they played in the exhibition matches in those jumpers, and they shouldnt get any further a headstart because of it. All teams should start on the same terms and rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back