Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers - Socceroos V Bahrain/Indonesia

Remove this Banner Ad

48 teams means it'll be hard not to qualify, although I can envision them trying their best to not make it. If we don't come 2nd to automatically qualify he should go
Well, we did just lose to Bahrain at home. Very possible to miss out entirely.

Australias dog shit. Worst national side for 35-40 years. Don't deserve to be making world cups.

We have talent and good players but a ****stick as a coach. We have seen it constantly since he has been in but the performance at the WC papered over some cracks.

A more modern and offensively minded manager and we are a completely different side.

We have talent and good players but a ****stick as a coach. We have seen it constantly since he has been in but the performance at the WC papered over some cracks.

A more modern and offensively minded manager and we are a completely different side.
No we don't. Not even top 50 in the world for talent, shittest era of talent I've ever seen.
Majority of players would walk past you in the street and you'd have no idea who they are. Bunch of Scottish league and lower level players we are shit.

Of course the talent level isn't at the Golden Generation level. They are called that for a reason. But, there are good players and to suggest there isn't is flat out wrong.
Who are the good players lol? Go on?
Norway who can't even make a world cup have Haaland, Odegaard, Ajer etc and we have what? Players from academies? Even Japan and Korea shit on us from a talent level

They won't sack arnold , haven't got the balls . As much as this is a coaching disaster , the players were pretty ordinary as well . Imagine flying in , having 1 training session , and thinking that was going to work . A big wake up call that will be ignored because "Arnold " . Not having "World Class Players " is no excuse for that performance .

Loved and hated the 2022 World Cup at the same time.
Great results but knew it was peppering over Arnold’s garbage tactics.

He can’t attack, nor actually tries to for Australia. Surely after 2007 Asian Cup, with the Golden Generation could actually see that. He’s out of his depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australias dog shit. Worst national side for 35-40 years. Don't deserve to be making world cups.
I don't blame Arnie. Well, not totally...

That was a squad of absolute plodders bar Circati (played out of position) and Irankunda (too young)

We don't have one other player that a top league would even give a trial to, let alone sign.

Last edited:
I don't blame Arnie. Well, not totally...

That was a squad of absolute plodders bar Circati (played out of position) and Irankunda (too young)

We don't have one other player that a top league would even give a trial to, let alone sign.
It’s not about the players more about the tactics and defensive mindset.
Sure it’s not the greatest talent but let’s go out and actually play a high tempo, fast game.

Nope, get two defensive mids with Souttar controlling the ball to a lone striker in ****ing Duke.

Play 2 up front. There’s options. Blood the youth and see what happens.

Not ideal.... I missed the game thinking it was tonight, guess I'm the real winner here.

It's not terminal but means that we've got to get results in the road, and against the better sides and 3 points against Indonesia is critical

The sad truth is I feel that we are always on the fringe of making a world cup in the easiest AFC route. Our FiFA ranking of 23 I think belies our true lack of personnel and ability. Despite wide acceptance of soccer as the most prevalent sport played by kids nationally , our approach never matches that opportunity. In any sport in order to achieve success you must commit 10,000 hours I recall to high level practice. The Australian mindset is one day a week training thinking that will suffice. Sometimes two. Then you have coaches mostly who haven't achieved any level of success taking control without the knowledge to teach. Many kids aren't taught the intricacies of kicking a ball so don't properly learn. Driving through a ball in a 'chip' rather than wedging it, instep drives with no leg extensions nor weight shifts. It's terrible. Until we get an armada of talented players giving back in teaching/ coaching too many of the athletically talented kids never reach potential. Vicious cycle. In places like Europe or South America obsession drives practice to success. We as a country simply don't have that level of obsession and it undermines our success in soccer. Always has been and sadly I now think always will be

Positive is Saudis dropped 2 points at home last night as well. But Indonesia are going to be tough next week, and they will have 90,000 there.
The capacity is 77k, are they likely to fill that out?

In other groups the only real surprise is Palestine holding South Korea to a 0-0 in Korea.

Guess we can add another AFC side slowly slowly overtaking us / catching up to us in the region..
since 2006 we have been fairly stagnant and every other side has gotten better…

since 2006 we have been fairly stagnant and every other side has gotten better…
I would argue we've declined, the 2006 side would beat this side consistently, as would our 2010 side, and then we've slowly gotten more and more mediocre since then, from a team that wasn't exactly world class to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers - Socceroos V Bahrain/Indonesia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back