Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Socceroos V China/Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news is that Japan beat Saudis 2-0 this morning, so we sit 2nd in the group!

Bad news is they look completely different gravy to anyone else in the Confederation and I’m not sure we are getting within 3 goals of them on Tuesday night, even with Guus and the golden generation.

Need Japan to win tomorrow morning against the Saudis, we aren’t catching them anyway.

I can’t believe how bad China still are - staggering they can’t get their act together given population and resources available.

President Xi said back in 2011 that he planned for China to win the WC within 15 years, pretty much gave the sport a blank cheque.

That was revised in 2016 to be a football superpower "by 2050" lol

Now, these days, Xi has given up pretty much. My brother's missus is from China (now a citizen here after giving up her Chinese citizenship). They have been trying to force kids to play football over there however Chinese culture values education highly and individual sports above all (swimming, table tennis, badminton etc). Xi tried to tell the country one day that this is changing but it's failed spectacularly.

The very fact that Australia is a superior football nation to China despite having a population of 25m+, large competition from other football codes and generally having to run to a sustainable budget says it all about China's ambitions as a footballing nation.

President Xi said back in 2011 that he planned for China to win the WC within 15 years, pretty much gave the sport a blank cheque.

That was revised in 2016 to be a football superpower "by 2050" lol

Now, these days, Xi has given up pretty much. My brother's missus is from China (now a citizen here after giving up her Chinese citizenship). They have been trying to force kids to play football over there however Chinese culture values education highly and individual sports above all (swimming, table tennis, badminton etc). Xi tried to tell the country one day that this is changing but it's failed spectacularly.

The very fact that Australia is a superior football nation to China despite having a population of 25m+, large competition from other football codes and generally having to run to a sustainable budget says it all about China's ambitions as a footballing nation.
That's unusual as most tend to keep it as it's much easier and cheaper to go back home.

In terms of our team, we'll never be good as long as the best athletes in the country play other more locally popular ball sports.

That's unusual as most tend to keep it as it's much easier and cheaper to go back home.

In terms of our team, we'll never be good as long as the best athletes in the country play other more locally popular ball sports.

China doesn't recognise dual nationality. By becoming an Australian citizen a Chinese citizen gives up their Chinese citizenship.

Football has the biggest numbers in grass roots easily. I'm the secretary foir my local community club and we can't keep up with demand. At our level it is all about kids participating, fees are low and nobody is getting paid.

The main issue is getting elite talent into elite level juniors (NPL programs). NPL licenses are expensive, coaches are demanding 20k a season and NPL clubs generally use junior fees to subside wage bills of their senior teams who operate pretty much on a semi professional basis.

My teammate in veterans soccer currently pays $2500 for his son to play pre NPL U13s. Imagine a parent with 2 or more elite juniors in the family with one working parent, high interest rates etc. It becomes impossible to manage for parents financially.

Talented kids are missing out definitely because aside from the ones that are absolutely top level elite who get scholarships parents simply can't get their kids into elite programs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

China doesn't recognise dual nationality. By becoming an Australian citizen a Chinese citizen gives up their Chinese citizenship.

Football has the biggest numbers in grass roots easily. I'm the secretary foir my local community club and we can't keep up with demand. At our level it is all about kids participating, fees are low and nobody is getting paid.

The main issue is getting elite talent into elite level juniors (NPL programs). NPL licenses are expensive, coaches are demanding 20k a season and NPL clubs generally use junior fees to subside wage bills of their senior teams who operate pretty much on a semi professional basis.

My teammate in veterans soccer currently pays $2500 for his son to play pre NPL U13s. Imagine a parent with 2 or more elite juniors in the family with one working parent, high interest rates etc. It becomes impossible to manage for parents financially.

Talented kids are missing out definitely because aside from the ones that are absolutely top level elite who get scholarships parents simply can't get their kids into elite programs.
Which is such a farcical and broken system. The favelas produce world class players and our $2500 per season fees with great facilities never do. It needs an overhaul from top to bottom, no sport is run worse than soccer is here

Then again, parents are sold the dream that their kid could go on with it when in actual fact 95% or more end up playing amateur league seniors anyway. Why go pay the $2500 until later IF the kid is really good. At under 11's it makes no difference IMO, usually just a kids dad coaching anyway

Which is such a farcical and broken system. The favelas produce world class players and our $2500 per season fees with great facilities never do. It needs an overhaul from top to bottom, no sport is run worse than soccer is here

Then again, parents are sold the dream that their kid could go on with it when in actual fact 95% or more end up playing amateur league seniors anyway. Why go pay the $2500 until later IF the kid is really good. At under 11's it makes no difference IMO, usually just a kids dad coaching anyway

All good points.

One thing I would say is at community level soccer is absolutely killing it at the moment. It is the sport of choice, especially for females with AFLW being a pretty poor professional path compared to what is available in the women's soccer game + Matildas.

There are some players that come through the community systema and end up developing later into elite footballers. NPL isn't a must to become a pro.

Good news is that Japan beat Saudis 2-0 this morning, so we sit 2nd in the group!

Bad news is they look completely different gravy to anyone else in the Confederation and I’m not sure we are getting within 3 goals of them on Tuesday night, even with Guus and the golden generation.

The 3 Japanese players that play for Celtic would be Australia's best 3 players by a mile and none of them started against the Saudis, Kyogo didn't even make their squad.

Mercy ruling that there is no coverage of that game.

Yeah I know. Which makes it much harder to back home.

No i-pads in the favelas mate and pretty easy to develop good ball control and perform under pressure when you're dodging bullets every minute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Socceroos V China/Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back