World Cup - South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

does any one have any suggestions for an attacking team for onlince WC? i like to play some attacking football and i sort of struggled (although making it to the semis twice) with australia. but im not really wanting to go brazil or argentina.

i found with australia there was always to much space between the mids and the 3 up front, and struggled with playing balls to them from mid-long range.

does any one have any suggestions for an attacking team for onlince WC? i like to play some attacking football and i sort of struggled (although making it to the semis twice) with australia. but im not really wanting to go brazil or argentina.

i found with australia there was always to much space between the mids and the 3 up front, and struggled with playing balls to them from mid-long range.
Germany, Holland.. ive found sweden quite attacking aswell and allows me to launch thunderbolts from long range with Ibrahomivic

I found the same issue with Australia. Got bogged down a lot in the midfield and you really had to take your chances when you got them. Plus MacDonald or Kennedy aren't great to have up forward either if you like to lead your players in as one has no footskills (when I played against someone with Aussies and Kennedy in I let Kennedy get it up forward as much as possible knowing he couldn't do a thing with it) and the other just isn't strong enough to get past anyone in a 1-on-1 contest with your opponent.

Since then I've been using England almost exclusively. I use Rooney and Bent up forward and they're a pretty good combo. Overall as a team a good mix of attacking forwards as well as attacking mids in Lampard and Gerrard in there to help out.

Generally I will have at least 15 shots per game as well, I do take a lot of pot shots from outside the penalty box, but I do have a fair amount of genuine chances too.

austraia are ok with bresciano and kewell on the wings and holman and cahill up forward

bresciano is lightning down the wings for some reason

i tend to bring kennedy on late and he often scores from headers crossed from bresciano wide.

but kennedy is useless if trying to play through the middle

i ended up going spain to see how much i can dominate. i won my 1st game 1-0 but the opponent decided to quit right at the end of the game, just after the final whistle (i guess to run away from me as fast as possible:cool:) so i was awarded the 3-0 win. then in my 2nd game an easy 2-0, pretty much dominated play but i was lacking that final ball/shot in my final 3rd.

i think i might try out sweeden if this doesnt pan out to well.

has anyone here actually won the online WC? if not, how far have you made it? i know HBK made it to the final, my best is the semis, twice.

i ended up going spain to see how much i can dominate. i won my 1st game 1-0 but the opponent decided to quit right at the end of the game, just after the final whistle (i guess to run away from me as fast as possible:cool:) so i was awarded the 3-0 win. then in my 2nd game an easy 2-0, pretty much dominated play but i was lacking that final ball/shot in my final 3rd.

i think i might try out sweeden if this doesnt pan out to well.

has anyone here actually won the online WC? if not, how far have you made it? i know HBK made it to the final, my best is the semis, twice.

Sweden are a good side to use Larsson is a gun at dead ball situations.

I made it as far as the semi's with Japan and South Africa only too lose on penalties which are exciting but shit if there's the slightest lag.

i just made it to the final 8 with spain, havnt conceded a goal so far:thumbsu: winning games 2/3-0.

also i jsut noticed im ranked 266th in the country on XBL:cool::cool:

add me: drcool12

up for a game later tonight possibly

yeh no worries. probably wont be able to play tonight, but another time for sure:thumbsu:

i just lost my quater final 3-2 :thumbsdown::mad: ended 1-1 after normal time. a couple mins into extra time i have a goal kick. i stupidly go for a short pass, the opposition take the ball off me, open goal:mad::mad:. they score a 3rd a couple mins after that. in the 2nd half of ET, i score to make it 3-2. then have a golden chance, 1vs1 with the keeper, keeper saves!:thumbsdown::mad: i pile on the pressure for the last few mins, creating several decent chances but unable to convert:thumbsdown:

now to do it allll again:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh no worries. probably wont be able to play tonight, but another time for sure:thumbsu:

i just lost my quater final 3-2 :thumbsdown::mad: ended 1-1 after normal time. a couple mins into extra time i have a goal kick. i stupidly go for a short pass, the opposition take the ball off me, open goal:mad::mad:. they score a 3rd a couple mins after that. in the 2nd half of ET, i score to make it 3-2. then have a golden chance, 1vs1 with the keeper, keeper saves!:thumbsdown::mad: i pile on the pressure for the last few mins, creating several decent chances but unable to convert:thumbsdown:

now to do it allll again:rolleyes:
Always happens at the worst times doesn't it? Just one of the brain explosions where you forget you're against a real opponent and that will be exploited. Have got away with it a couple of times, but have been hurt a number of times as well.

So disappointing when you get eliminated after all that work. I've only had one go after my finals loss and I went out in straight sets, played terribly. Won 1 match (BARELY), but lost the other 2 with some terrible defending all round.

Just feels like such a long way back to get into the finals again.

Always happens at the worst times doesn't it? Just one of the brain explosions where you forget you're against a real opponent and that will be exploited. Have got away with it a couple of times, but have been hurt a number of times as well.

So disappointing when you get eliminated after all that work. I've only had one go after my finals loss and I went out in straight sets, played terribly. Won 1 match (BARELY), but lost the other 2 with some terrible defending all round.

Just feels like such a long way back to get into the finals again.

it was actually the first time ive conceded a goal from that pass. ive had several very close calls but it had to happen at the worst time:thumbsdown:. ive been lucky (pure skill moer like it:cool:) enough to make it through to the last 16 every time. had a shot at the cup about 5 times now. never been knocked out in the group stage

Picked up this game last week. Haven't played a FIFA game before, so I'm a total noob. Still having fun picking up the basics and all. I'm just happy it seems to play a nice, realistic game. No bizarre scorelines that are present in other sporting games.

it was actually the first time ive conceded a goal from that pass. ive had several very close calls but it had to happen at the worst time:thumbsdown:. ive been lucky (pure skill moer like it:cool:) enough to make it through to the last 16 every time. had a shot at the cup about 5 times now. never been knocked out in the group stage
Yeah I'm normally pretty good at getting through. I think I've been knocked out in straight sets 2 times now, generally you can fluke your way through unless you have absolutely terrible performances (like my last effort).

As I said when I made the finals as well it was one of my poorest performances but I made it simply due to the other results putting me through (with 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss I got through on a GD that was the same as the person in 3rd but I had scored more goals so I assume that's what got me through).

Just finished an Online World Cup with Germany, god I suck, I've read the book again and I think I will be a little bit better now, but far out, scored 1 goal in the 3 games, and it game at the 90 minute mark of me playing against Spain who really sucked, and after scoring one goal just played better for some reason. I find that my defence is always very open, but the team I play againsts is very tight and hard to get past.. HELP PLEASE?????!!!!

Just finished an Online World Cup with Germany, god I suck, I've read the book again and I think I will be a little bit better now, but far out, scored 1 goal in the 3 games, and it game at the 90 minute mark of me playing against Spain who really sucked, and after scoring one goal just played better for some reason. I find that my defence is always very open, but the team I play againsts is very tight and hard to get past.. HELP PLEASE?????!!!!
Try to think ahead on defence. Don't always be playing the ball. Play the play ahead of the ball, if you think there's a through ball coming branch off to the player who you think will be going to from that.

Once you get into everything and working out how the majority of players play you should be able to read a lot of balls off the oppositions passing.

Using the shoot button on defence (I think it is) as well will push another defender up onto the ball to help out in defence, so you can get some good double team steals or moments where they think they've only got one person on them then bang in comes another there.

Try to think ahead on defence. Don't always be playing the ball. Play the play ahead of the ball, if you think there's a through ball coming branch off to the player who you think will be going to from that.

Once you get into everything and working out how the majority of players play you should be able to read a lot of balls off the oppositions passing.

Using the shoot button on defence (I think it is) as well will push another defender up onto the ball to help out in defence, so you can get some good double team steals or moments where they think they've only got one person on them then bang in comes another there.
Cheers mate, will give it a go with those tips later

Geez this game can be frustrating at times online.

I flogged Brazil, played great football yet lose cos my defence ****s up and he just runs down the line and pumps the ball in.

Still made the round of 16 but played Japan who I can never beat, lose 1-0 cos they score early and I get a red card. But I got smashed really, I don't understand how they can have so many loose players yet when I get it I am harrassed straight away. I know you are supposed to try and predict where he is going to pass but it is impossible at times as they just knock it around to space yet I never have this space???

Impossible to defend at times as well.

Is this a tactic setting people are using or are they really just mashing X and O on PS3 to put this extra pressure on? It makes for a ****en frustrating game.

Geez this game can be frustrating at times online.

I flogged Brazil, played great football yet lose cos my defence ****s up and he just runs down the line and pumps the ball in.

Still made the round of 16 but played Japan who I can never beat, lose 1-0 cos they score early and I get a red card. But I got smashed really, I don't understand how they can have so many loose players yet when I get it I am harrassed straight away. I know you are supposed to try and predict where he is going to pass but it is impossible at times as they just knock it around to space yet I never have this space???

Impossible to defend at times as well.

Is this a tactic setting people are using or are they really just mashing X and O on PS3 to put this extra pressure on? It makes for a ****en frustrating game.
Well you can choose how attacking you are, this could be something others are trying against you. You will know at the corners depending on how many they have in. If they have only their strikers and one more then they're on 'Balanced', if they have about 6 or so in they'll have it on 'Offensive' and if they have almost everyone in they will have it on 'Ultra Offensive'.

You can toggle these with the D-Pad right or left. Left will make you more defensive (although Ultra Defensive pushes your defenders WAY too far back into the penalty box and you allow easy shots) and Right will push your more offensively.

What this does just makes your players push for more leading plays. Can sometimes leave you open on the rebound but your defenders will play up a bit and you can get the offside quite often. You do have to watch for lobbed through balls and such.

anyone got any tips on taking free-kicks? particularly direct ones?

I've never worked out how to do it properly. I always smash it way over the crossbar or it just rolls to the keeper, missing everyone. I've tried just tapping the O or square button after aiming and I still get it wrong. and yes, tried it in training mode ... just can't get it right.

if you're playing against me the best thing to do is give away a free-kick. then I'm screwed. :(

if i have a free kick that not on the penalty box or really close to it, i just call for a 2nd player and get him to pass it to a running player who smashes it in. for me, that has more of a success rate.

also, if anyone wants any tips, the way i defend is, if there in the defensive half i lay off them (unless im behind) but wen they cross the half way line every pass they make i quikly switch player to the player closest to where the ball is going, and sprint and hold A (not sure of equivalent on PS3, maybe O?) to try and cut the pass off, generally works. another way i play is if there running at me i track back a bit then quickly hold A to steal the ball off them. they normally dont see that coming.

and for when i attack, i generally pass the ball around a bit, try to draw defenders and lots of one touch passes. i dont have a few more tricks up my sleeve but cant give them all away;)

anyway hope that helps some of you.

anyone got any tips on taking free-kicks? particularly direct ones?

I've never worked out how to do it properly. I always smash it way over the crossbar or it just rolls to the keeper, missing everyone. I've tried just tapping the O or square button after aiming and I still get it wrong. and yes, tried it in training mode ... just can't get it right.

if you're playing against me the best thing to do is give away a free-kick. then I'm screwed. :(
Gotta push the analogue stick up to get the ball to dip downwards. The further you push it up, the more it will dip.

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup - South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back