World Cup - South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Made the Quarter-finals with france for the first time.

Played a 1 - 1 all the way through to Penalties.

Lost after about 10 shot's each.

Was gutted :(

Sorry to ruin the talk about online world cup
but I just got around to continueing my offline world cup with American Samoa after I qualified (details about 3-5 pages back)

game 1
about 40% possession
but I had 30 tackles to like 10 in 10 minutes
won 1-0 vs Nigeria

game 2
more open but I just couldn't get 1 into the net
0-0 draw with South Africa

game 3
opposition lose their CB with a red card early, they immediately drag thier Striker to maintain a 4 man defensive line (like it's needed vs American Samoa :rolleyes:)
From then on out the Chechs could not attack, I bombard and bombard
end up winning 1-0

won the group just ahead of South Africa

in the round of 16 I got drawn vs Australia (who finished 2nd behind a huge nation and ahead of Gabon and Switzerland)
Early on Lucas Neill got a red card and some random comes on to replace Cahill to maintain a defensive 4 (why not take off Kenneddy? :rolleyes:)
It just turned into a midfield battle with no decent opportunities
full time 0-0
half time of extra time 0-0
then right at the death, Grella connects on a cross for the win

Australia beat American Samoa 1-0 right at the ****ing death :mad:

Australia then went on to be eliminated by Penalties vs Brazil

Brazil then beat a powerhouse before knocking off Italy in the final on penalties

Thanks for the advice lads, going forward I'm not bad but really need to make the most of my opportunities, just take too long to pull the trigger. I get cut to pieces at the back though, the change player is a bit ordinary at times, sometimes you try and change player and you have to press it a few times to get the player you want.

Once I sort my defence out I will be much better as I am definitely improving. I love when I get drawn Spain now though as they are usually rubbish players.:D

WOW! I have now won 2 World Cup games!!! Spewing though, started a World Cup with Spain, won 3-2, then drew 1-1, after this I thought I would progress easily, came up against this Mexican freak who beat me 7-0 before I rage quit, would have been 10-0 if I didn't, so I came 3rd on goal difference, I might give it another go tonight after the footy show

Australia beat American Samoa 1-0 right at the ****ing death :mad:
At least it wasn't 31-0.:D
Just wondering how do you check your online ranking?

Lost the final 5 - 2.
As HSSB said you have to win a World Cup online in order to get a ranking. You can however check your stats up against your mates in the leaders section and scrolling across through the different regions (Worldwide, Country, Friends, etc.).
Thanks for the advice lads, going forward I'm not bad but really need to make the most of my opportunities, just take too long to pull the trigger. I get cut to pieces at the back though, the change player is a bit ordinary at times, sometimes you try and change player and you have to press it a few times to get the player you want.
Is it what, I reckon it's gone backwards from FIFA 10. A number of times I am looking at the exact player I want it to change to and continue pushing L1 but it just won't get to him. Has cost me quite a number of goals from this as well. Something similar to the NBA games for me would be an alright system if it could be put in (where you hold a button and up comes the button prompts that if you push the corresponding one you can select them).

found a bit of a bug/glitch that can be annoying. the keeper can handball or make a save outside the box. i was playing some guy who just kept rushing his keeper out and id shoot from about halfway and the keeper parry it away with his hands.

Thoughts on the Wii version anyone? (don't hate on me because I have wii btw...) :p

My most recent FIFA has been 09 all-play, which is great fun with mates, but seeing this for under 40 bucks on Ebay and hearing how everyone loves the game makes me think I might just get it.

And is the replay value good also? Thanks in advance :thumbsu:

Thoughts on the Wii version anyone? (don't hate on me because I have wii btw...) :p

My most recent FIFA has been 09 all-play, which is great fun with mates, but seeing this for under 40 bucks on Ebay and hearing how everyone loves the game makes me think I might just get it.

And is the replay value good also? Thanks in advance :thumbsu:
I dunno if you'll find a ton of people who have played the Wii version TBH (and BTW I think the game is under $40 in retail stores too, Dick Smith have the PS3 and 360 version for $39 and usually the Wii version is less).

But from all reports the game is ok. Has nothing on the next-gen versions (which if you're even just remotely a soccer fan, you need a PS3/360 to give these games a go). But it's just very arcadey, while the PS3/360 versions are very realistic simulations the Wii version as you know is very arcadey and is mainly just a partyish game.

Would be good fun with mates one would've thought, but really if you want a great version you need a PS3/360 because FIFA 10/FIFA WC are hands down the best soccer games yet and will be for a long while to come, they're also insanely fun and addictive too.

I started a world cup qualifying campaign with Trinidad and Tobago a couple of weeks back but got bored as it was on Pro and a bit too easy so last night I cranked it to World Class. It was bloody tough and took me a while to adjust but it has helped me improve my game ready for the online world cup.

Started one with England last night and beat NZ 4-0 (he quit 70th min mark) Portugal 3-0 and then USA 2-1 in my final group game. A huge improvement and now I am better and using the O button to bring in a second defender for backup and I also get my passes off slightly quicker. It is much more enjoyable now, no idea who I play in the Rd of 16 but will probably play that later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep making it to the online world cup and choking by 1 goal. :(

There's some really good 1 - 3 star team players out there. Can be hard to score when they flood the defense and rely on skill/luck for their goals.

Absolutely addicted atm, will be playing for cups until fifa 11 hits the stores.:thumbsu:

Sold out at EB, Game and Dick Smith I finally got the last copy of World Cup on Wii at JB ($34). Pretty wrapped and looking forward to trying it out :thumbsu:

does the online world cup finish after tonight?
HIGHLY doubt it, it's a game mode in the game, doubt it'll end just because the World Cup has. For me it's the selling point of the game too and what has kept me coming back.

I barely play online in FIFA 10, but I absolutely love the Online World Cup.

HIGHLY doubt it, it's a game mode in the game, doubt it'll end just because the World Cup has. For me it's the selling point of the game too and what has kept me coming back.

I barely play online in FIFA 10, but I absolutely love the Online World Cup.

What he means is the competition for 1st, in which case the answer kind of, it finishes on the 12th of July, but due to the time zone differences its more likely to finish tomorrow.

To be honest, I don't really like this version as much as the normal installments, probably because I'm just easily annoyed at the moment but I seem to **** up a lot more than normal and end up rage quitting (offline that is). Glad I only rented it.

What he means is the competition for 1st, in which case the answer kind of, it finishes on the 12th of July, but due to the time zone differences its more likely to finish tomorrow.
Ahk yeah, well we're in front on the PS3 side anyway by a good 700,000 points (which is down from about 900,000 last week) and Mexico have moved into 2nd place, with Spain 3rd. Where it was Egypt and England IIRC last week in 2nd and 3rd respectively.
To be honest, I don't really like this version as much as the normal installments, probably because I'm just easily annoyed at the moment but I seem to **** up a lot more than normal and end up rage quitting (offline that is). Glad I only rented it.
I think there's definitely less room to move on defence. I've found myself giving away a ton of easy goals from the tiniest of lapses. But I still find the overall gameplay far more enjoyable than FIFA 10, just so many different touches and the fact that you can score from a ton of different ways this time too (including corners and crosses being FAR easier, but not too easy).

Just made it into the final again in the Online World Cup.

After another fairly dismal performance in qualifying (apart from my first match, a 7-2 defeat of Ghana) I barely made it through losing my 2nd match and just holding on for a 1-1 draw in my 3rd match (I think even if I had've lost I would've got through on GD though).

I made it through the round of 16 fairly easily with a 3-1 win against Brazil, then a nice 3-0 win against Germany. Strangely again (and I would've thought this would've been put out of the structure of the game) I went up against Germany in the Semi's. Was doomed from the start of the match as Rooney had picked up some sort of injury that would keep him out of the match, so I had to go with Defoe and Bent up forward. Game was fairly laggy and sluggish. About 20 minutes in I was down 0-2. But then something amazing happened, the game lost it's connection. I thought for sure that it would be me, but to my surprise it wasn't and I was handed the 3-0 win.:D

Will give the final a go in about an hour, but would be great to get a win right before the finish of the 'Official WC'.

Beat some tool 6-0 before online, then lost 3-1, I need a win to keep me in the WC

playing in the quarter final before and some guy got up 4-3 with uraguay (i was south africa) at the 75th minute. he then proceeded to play possession for the next 15 mins of the game much to my frustration as the lag meant that changing players quick enough and pressuring the ball carrier was impossible... sent him a fairly abusive message to let him know my thoughts on this gutless act

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup - South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back