Worst forward line, midfield, and defence to win a premiership in the AFL era?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond's midfield (factoring Martin rolled forward so often) is probably the most underwhelming of any side to win three flags. Carried by their bookends.
Thats a good point, Prestia the only elite one in that period IMO but all rose to the occasion when it was their time and always found a way to win.

Apparently weak on every line, worst to ever win, couldn't win away from the G etc etc.

Hang on the 07-11 Geelong midfield/backs with a gazillion AAs couldn’t handle Dew for 5 mins. They have to be in contention. I reckon we could’ve handle him easy.

Do you really think you had multiple hf/forwards running around better than Betts/Dusty/Rioli in that team?

Idk how you lost a game then tbh.

Again take Dusty out and Stevie J + Chapman were the best forward we had. They were a huge reason for our success.

And you do realise we only lost a handful of games over 5 years right? There was a reason for that.

The forwardline had Stokes, Varcoe, Byrnes, Mooney, Nathan Ablett/Young Hawkins, and Max Rooke so it was by no means star studded. But Chapman and Stevie J stood out as rare players.

Again take Dusty out and Stevie J + Chapman were the best forward we had. They were a huge reason for our success.

And you do realise we only lost a handful of games over 5 years right? There was a reason for that.

The forwardline had Stokes, Varcoe, Byrnes, Mooney, Nathan Ablett/Young Hawkins, and Max Rooke so it was by no means star studded. But Chapman and Stevie J stood out as rare players.

Nah I get you and I’m fine with Stevie J, but idk about Chapman. I’ve never heard, seen or read anything that says he is in these guys tier. Each to their own I guess, still a good player 👍

The Essendon 2000 for how good that side was the backline outside of Fletcher was pretty ordinary

B: M Johnson, D Fletcher, S Wellman
HB: D Hardwick, D Wallis, D Soloman

2016 Dogs was pretty average.
Roughead in ruck, Hamling & Fletcher their two key backs.

Gun midfield though.
Defence looked poor on paper but they had a great year. Average of 73 points against in the home and away season. Then in finals kept West Coast to 52, Hawthorn 84, GWS 83 and Sydney 67. Only conceded over 100 twice all year (Adelaide 108, Geelong 103).

In the Grand Final itself - Franklin, Tippett, Richards, Papley, McGlynn and Rohan only kicked 2 goals between them while Morris played with a broken back.

Morris, Wood, Boyd and JJ were all great players. Biggs peaked at the right time, Hamling was reliable and Roberts was a no-fuss stopper. Suckling, Adams and Murphy all unavailable due to injury

The Essendon 2000 for how good that side was the backline outside of Fletcher was pretty ordinary

B: M Johnson, D Fletcher, S Wellman
HB: D Hardwick, D Wallis, D Soloman

Eh ? They were all extremely hard players in an era it was still permitted to physically target your opponent and put them off their game by making them scared for their safety. Maybe in 2024 they would be average but In 2000 they were the perfect backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back