Worst players to wear the baggy green

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a touch young, but surely one of the players picked for the official test team during the WSC era would be up there.

Or some mid 80s blokes.

There were also some pretty ordianry spinners between O'Riely and Warne.

Adam Dale

GOOD One-Day player. Knew how to keep the runs at a minimum. Played a test (in the Windies from memory), basically should never have played test-matches - couldn't take wickets to save his life.

Simon Cook's 5-fer and Stuart's hat trick probably exclude them as well, they achieved something at international level in brief stints.

Shaun Young easily the worst, gifted a baggy green and did nothing as expected.
I completely disagree on Shaun Young being the worst cricketer, definitely picked at a low point of his career though. At almost any other time he would done alright, not sensationally, but better than many other all rounders. And keeping Shane Lee out is worthy of a massive amount of credit on its own.

My vote goes top Wayne Phillips, I just can't decide between Wayne B Phillips and Wayne N Phillips.
Yes, I can. N.

Adam Dale

GOOD One-Day player. Knew how to keep the runs at a minimum. Played a test (in the Windies from memory), basically should never have played test-matches - couldn't take wickets to save his life.

Actually a bit harsh- Dale bowled in two tests- one in India and one in the Windies- opened the bowling- clearly some injuries with the quicks....and did take six wickets, including a couple of pretty reasonable scalps- Tendulker and Ganguly in India, Jimmy adams in the Windies.

Gotta be a number who were worse than AD.

Better get used to the worst player in history then, because he'll play a crapload of test cricket in the next few years.

It does seem like Watson is the new... "CHOSEN ONE" thank god he cant get fit enough to play... Seriously i fail to see what all the hype is about.... technically looks good with the bat (no good in the one day game, no innovation) bowls at 140kph but cant get it off the straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there are worse than Chippin. not denying that. but i don't believe he was up to test standard.

the problem with any list like this is they ALL deserved their spot at international level. Okay, they may have had some shockers - such as Chris Matthews, Scott Muller, etc. but they all deserved their spots for performing so well at a lower level, and the only way to get picked for an international game is to perform well at a lower level: Shield Cricket, Grade Cricket etc.

some may mock the current South Australian squad, but if you saw them perform and work hard at Grade level you'll know why they are in the state squad. Because they are good enough. it's the same with choosing any player for any team.

No-one has brought up any establishment players from the World Series Cricket era.

How's this for a test XI

Martin Kent
Paul Hibbert
Craig Sargent
David Ogilvie
Dav Whatmore
Trevor Laughlin
Phil Carlson
Tony Mann
Kevin Wright
Wayne Clark
Sam Gannon

12th man - Peter Toohey
Unlucky - Mick Malone

I left out Jeff Moss because he finished with a test average of 60 (1 match, made 22 & 38 no)!

Have any of you dimwits cared to actually dig up Muller's record? The fact that the guy cared very little about cricket and STILL managed to don the baggy green, speaks volumes for his obvious talent.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/6665.html

exactly, he wasn't that bad was he?

neither was Chris Matthews, neither were any of the other guys who have put on the baggy green. they all deserved their chance through excellent performances at shield level. some just didn't get a chance to go on with it.

Hauritz has a test match bowling average of 20.6 thank you very much.

How about you restrict the list to people who played like Hacks for Australia instead.
He played in a game where Michael Clarke took 6/9 if Hauritz was even close to first class level spinner he should have taken at least a five for.
S.Muller & S.Watson still win the award
Watsons not the worst but he will be the worst to play more than ten tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst players to wear the baggy green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back