Worst umpiring decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Always love the "umpires cost us the game" call.

Had nothing to do with poor defence, giving up a 4 goal lead, carrying injured players, giving away stupid free kicks, missing set shots on goal from 30m out directly in front, turning over the ball in the back half or just poor play throughout the course of the game now did it? It's always the 1 decision from the umpire that cost someone the game. :eek:

The opposition having 19 on the field doesn't help, either.

those 2 were bad, there was another one in that game as well where the ball was kicked over Birchall's head, he turned around to see where it was only to find Hawkins jumping on his head and he got called for tunnelling

yep, remember that one well. terrible call.

an instance where the protests of the player the free was paid against were warranted.

Brisbane v WC last year the first game, when Darling soccered a goal from 40mtrs out was called as touched..
Didnt go to the third umpire.. Was clearly far from touched as the replay showed.
The lions went on to kick a torp right before the siren and we lost by a couple of points, was a real "the umpires cost us the game" scenario..
Cost us a home final, things could have been different. Although Brisbane should never have been that close so close to the end of the game.
Was a great win for the lions although they didnt really deserve it, barely any mention of it in the media that week either..

And St. Kilda still haven't recovered from Heath Shaw smothering Nick Riewoldt on the goal line, but that doesn't make it appropriate for the thread. 100% correct decision.
How was that possibly the right decision? He took the mark, decided to play on from the mark (prior opportunity) got tackled as he was dropping the ball to his foot. Clearly holding the ball.

How was that possibly the right decision? He took the mark, decided to play on from the mark (prior opportunity) got tackled as he was dropping the ball to his foot. Clearly holding the ball.

Here's a lesson for you kids, watch the whole video (or at least check the team supported of the guy posting it) before commenting.

The video was called 'Goldstein holding the ball', so I stopped watching after the tackle and assumed that holding the ball was paid and that it was a North supporter whingeing about it for some reason.

Brisbane v WC last year the first game, when Darling soccered a goal from 40mtrs out was called as touched..
Didnt go to the third umpire.. Was clearly far from touched as the replay showed.
The lions went on to kick a torp right before the siren and we lost by a couple of points, was a real "the umpires cost us the game" scenario..
Cost us a home final, things could have been different. Although Brisbane should never have been that close so close to the end of the game.
Was a great win for the lions although they didnt really deserve it, barely any mention of it in the media that week either..

Barely any mention of Darren Glass getting away with a clear high hit on Josh Green in front of goal too, late in the 4th. Should have been a free kick straight in front, 15 metres out.

I don't think the replay showed "Clearly" that McKeever didn't touch it. The camera angle adds significant ambiguity. The goal umpire was in a pretty good position.

For the record, umpire Nicholls gave you a chariot ride in that game.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!

There were a number of other terrible umpiring decisions in that game, most of which favoured Collingwood.

Barely any mention of Darren Glass getting away with a clear high hit on Josh Green in front of goal too, late in the 4th. Should have been a free kick straight in front, 15 metres out.

I don't think the replay showed "Clearly" that McKeever didn't touch it. The camera angle adds significant ambiguity. The goal umpire was in a pretty good position.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!

Yeah West Coast supporters can't blame the umpires for losing that game, they got the rub of the green all day.

I’m going to buck the trend and go with a decision that went in my team’s favour.

2011, Lions v Saints at the Gabba. Can’t remember which round. Leigh Montagna is bringing the ball out of the backline and sends a long clearing kick down the ground. Ball goes about sixty metres, bounces six or seven times, before dribbling out of bounds on the half-forwardline.

Umpire pings him for deliberate.

The camera got a shot of Michael Voss when that was called, and even he looked incredulous.

Then why was Darling so pissed off as soon as it went through the goals?

I’m going to buck the trend and go with a decision that went in my team’s favour.

2011, Lions v Saints at the Gabba. Can’t remember which round. Leigh Montagna is bringing the ball out of the backline and sends a long clearing kick down the ground. Ball goes about sixty metres, bounces six or seven times, before dribbling out of bounds on the half-forwardline.

Umpire pings him for deliberate.

The camera got a shot of Michael Voss when that was called, and even he looked incredulous.

Yeah I remember that, absolutely ridiculous decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

iKvHFBNkyFoT.gif

BOOOOOOOO!!!!
Yeah fair point, prob did deserve a free for that one. I think the MRP even looked at it, but was thrown out..(rightfully so)
I dont remember a chariot ride either, but i guess we recieived a chariot ride every week just for wearing blue and gold..
As for the touch, it was pretty clear.. Ball didnt change momentum, Mckeever looked dissapointed after MISSING it. Everyone i showed the footage too agreed it wasnt touched. A simple replay would have settled the matter...
I remember on 360 the following week Gerard and robbo both agreed it didnt look like it was touched, but didnt care because of how you guys won the game.. If that was us the whole of australia would be screaming..
Doesnt matter now, just a really bad decision when he technology to get a better result was there but not used.
And yes i booooooooed my lungs out that night..
Balance was restored later in the year anyway..

Yeah fair point, prob did deserve a free for that one. I think the MRP even looked at it, but was thrown out..(rightfully so)
I dont remember a chariot ride either, but i guess we recieived a chariot ride every week just for wearing blue and gold..
As for the touch, it was pretty clear.. Ball didnt change momentum, Mckeever looked dissapointed after MISSING it. Everyone i showed the footage too agreed it wasnt touched. A simple replay would have settled the matter...
I remember on 360 the following week Gerard and robbo both agreed it didnt look like it was touched, but didnt care because of how you guys won the game.. If that was us the whole of australia would be screaming..
Doesnt matter now, just a really bad decision when he technology to get a better result was there but not used.
And yes i booooooooed my lungs out that night..
Balance was restored later in the year anyway..

I also remember Gerard saying that a review would have ruined what was an amazing rebound, coast-to-coast winning goal by Brisbane as it would have delayed the restart and given West Coast free reign to set up defensively.

Umpires probably should have taken note of where they'd set the mark. All was duly forgiven though, when we got to see Ballantyne celebrate a West Coast win.

Still reckon that the deliberate OOB was harsh (it was contested after all), but I guess that's the way they pay it these days.

Mark Johnson got a 50mt against him agains the swans one day for saying "get up you weak dog" to an opposition player. The umpire can be clearly heard saying you can't call a player a weak dog.

I also remember Gerard saying that a review would have ruined what was an amazing rebound, coast-to-coast winning goal by Brisbane as it would have delayed the restart and given West Coast free reign to set up defensively.

It was an amazing rebound, one of the best ive seen...
You must agree a reveiw should have taken place tho?

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst umpiring decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back