Worst umpiring decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to this one, and sorry if this was draggfed up previously...

Here's the Vid.

16 seconds in - Jimmy Wynd lays the front on tackle. Perfect, if not close to. Adelaide guy throws the head back, gets the free and goals. Note where the Ump runs in from - behind the Adelaide guy. So all he sees is the head thrown back. Umpire guessing based on tackled palyers reaction.

40 seconds in - the video doesn't show a contentious free to Mark Mickan. Up for debate without vision, but I think at the time it was highly debatable. Hair was being ripped out for those supporting the Roys.

47 seconds in - Jarman free. Keeping in mind that the hands in the back rule didn't exist back then. Up for debate perhaps.

1'05" in - so the free is paid for holding the ball. Have a look and judge whether he got it out from under him quickly enough on a slippery night, or whether or not it was under him enough for him to be deemed to be in possession. Roos wasn't close enough to be obstructing the ball from coming out, and perhaps he could have been given a free for holding the man seconds before anyway. Note who "made" the tackle first by grabbing the jumper - 8 is Bond from memory. He grabs it first, then Jamieson. The #8 clearly thought it should have been his free as he went for the ball. THe Roys player gave it to him thinking it was his free. The only bloke who didn't think he should get it was the ump. The Ump insisted it goes to Jamieson. Keep in mind that it was a wet night and the #8 was kicking from a fair distance, and you can see the Umps position in the video - fairly clear and unobstructed. Jamieson was a good long kick. And nailed it. The other guy may not have even made the distance and was certainly not as reliable in either length or accuracy.

Note the end of the vid - an interview with Bill Deller (umpires boss) and one of the Umps himself. "Performance wasn't up to scratch..."

Indeed. On so many levels.....

Yeah Roos should have marked it.

My memory was half playing tricks with me. I remembered that tackle exactly as the vid portrayed - it should be in the video manual!! But I was sure that was the final act of the game, ie Marshall slotted the winner. Perhaps I was so disgusted I just turned the TV off?

All my Crows supporting friends - and there are many - were embarrassed about that game.

That Montagna out on the full was one of the most unbelievable calls I've ever seen.

Not such a bad umpiring decision but **** me the aftermath was funny

Not doubting the Rutten infringement, but it does tickle me that the preview does show the initial in the back to Otten that he manages to overcome and take the mark anyway.

Oh, and the fitzroy/adelaide game? Shocking umpiring. But seriously... what a pointless game to be bitter about.

Oh, and the fitzroy/adelaide game? Shocking umpiring. But seriously... what a pointless game to be bitter about.

No such thing as a pointless game for us Fitzroy fans. Every win was like winning a final.

Given that there's been more than a few inexplicable decisions made by the maggots, is there any investigation by the ACC into links between umpires and betting/ organised crime yadda yadda yadda?

If people pulled these stunts in everydy life, you'd say they were on drugs. You do it as an AFL umpire, the AFL condones it, and its all "move along, theres nothing to see here".

Release the hounds on the ba$tid$ I say.

Back to this one, and sorry if this was draggfed up previously...

Here's the Vid.

Indeed. On so many levels.....

Felt sick watching that.

I note that the smirking muppet interviewed at the end, Anton McKernan, was also an umpire (along with Peter Carey......I forget the 3rd) in the 94 prelim final where Geelong officially 'beat' North Melbourne......by 1 point and 20 frees.

Felt sick watching that.

I note that the smirking muppet interviewed at the end, Anton McKernan, was also an umpire (along with Peter Carey......I forget the 3rd) in the 94 prelim final where Geelong officially 'beat' North Melbourne......by 1 point and 20 frees.

Note the final scores - 47 to 50. So clearly low scores. 7 goals a piece. So clearly scoring goals was tough that night. Makes that concept of two late free kick goals for dodgy decisions even more unpalatable. How many times have we heard in the dying minutes of close games that "the umpies have thrown away the whistle". These guys couldn't blow it quick enough.

1997 prelim. Big stage and right in front of the ump. There's a stoppage, players clear a bit for ump to bounce the ball. Some crazy 4' 11" dude runs straight at Shaun rehn, who protects himself and the over-muscled jockey hits the deck and 'earns' a free kick. Not sure what else rehn is meant to have done in that scenario.

I am probably one of the few that admired libba, but if memory serves correct, that was a god awful decision on a day like that. Anyway, it probably evenned out in the end because he kicked one right through the middle late in the game that was called a point. Not sure if the bulldog supporters remember that though.

1997 prelim. Big stage and right in front of the ump. There's a stoppage, players clear a bit for ump to bounce the ball. Some crazy 4' 11" dude runs straight at Shaun rehn, who protects himself and the over-muscled jockey hits the deck and 'earns' a free kick. Not sure what else rehn is meant to have done in that scenario.

I am probably one of the few that admired libba, but if memory serves correct, that was a god awful decision on a day like that. Anyway, it probably evenned out in the end because he kicked one right through the middle late in the game that was called a point. Not sure if the bulldog supporters remember that though.
Probably not............and if they did, they wouldn't even think it was worth mentioning.

2009 prelim. Brian Lake nudged riewoldt in the chest/shoulder, front on. Riewoldt falls forward to his knees. Free kick and game turned, despite kozi coming over and hitting lake harder than lake did riewoldt, knocking him down.

From 2008, the Rooke colliding with Johnson front on, in front of Bulldogs goals in dying stages of that game was pretty bad.

In recent time as a neutral I have to say that Richmond do get roasted by umpires. Also to help Plugger35's case, I believe St Kilda did have a bad run of it last year.

In times gone by Carlton have had a few rippers against us. As alluded to earlier in the thread by Forward Press, the punch through of the ball defensively by Tony Evans (IIRC) that Greg Williams runs away from celebrating like of came off of his boot. Think Carlton won by a point in that game, may have been '95 (?)

Also '93 at Subi against them in the game where Mainwaring hit the post and we lost by 2 points. I think at the end of the second quarter a blues player is running towards goal from outside 50 and the siren goes, he keeps on going has a ping it goes through and the field ump doesnt wave it off, so it counts.

From 2008, the Rooke colliding with Johnson front on, in front of Bulldogs goals in dying stages of that game was pretty bad.
iirc if Johnson got the free and goaled (from close in, dead on front) we would have been within a kick. Instead Geelong took it up the other end and kicked the sealer. Game killer.

Yeah was a crucial time. Think he was about 35-40 out directly in front.

Maybe we are thinking of the wrong incident - this one is with Johnson in the backline, Rooke illegally cleans him up front on and late then gets up and kicks the goal.

2:50 mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we are thinking of the wrong incident - this one is with Johnson in the backline, Rooke illegally cleans him up front on and late then gets up and kicks the goal.

2:50 mark

Yeah that could be the one. That is strange I remember that being in Bullies forward line. Hmmm it seemed match killing at the time. Maybe it was the momentum the Bullies had up until that point.

A few season ago David Hille was evidently getting frustrated by a string of frees that had been paid against him for too high so he put his head down and head-butted his opponent in the chest........and was promptly awarded a free for too high.

For anyone watching the west coast and pies game at the moment you would've seen a mark from sidebottom in the first quarter about 47m from goal. He went back to 55m, ran sideways, umpire called play on and he romped a goal from 53m.
6points. I rewound and watched over and over and the umpire clearly calls play on well before he kicked the ball.

Should've been 9. If anyone could put up the footage would be excellent

For anyone watching the west coast and pies game at the moment you would've seen a mark from sidebottom in the first quarter about 47m from goal. He went back to 55m, ran sideways, umpire called play on and he romped a goal from 53m.
6points. I rewound and watched over and over and the umpire clearly calls play on well before he kicked the ball.

Should've been 9. If anyone could put up the footage would be excellent
solid knowledge of nab cup rules here

[q#te="Lenny29, post: 27292996, member: 6283"]solid knowledge of nab cup rules here[/quote]
F*#k you're a w***er.

Could you not simply say that I've misunderstood the rules?

Theres been a few beauties. I remember narrowly lossing an important game to Hawthorn out at Waverly in the 80's, bit stiff as a late goal was awarded to Tuck even though it bounced hard off the top of the goal post.
I've seen heaps of stuff ups. The one that annoy me most are when the umpires blow their whistle before a guy takes an easy mark, then when he fumbles it they have to pay it anyway. It happened against Freo on the week end, lucky for him the ball spilled over the boundary line and he could cancel it for a throw in.

Last night. Collingwood v Brisbane. Jarryd Blair getting a free kick for kneeing Tom Rockliffe in the head, when TR had already gathered the ball must be right up there.

Poor interpretation of a stupid rule.

I cannot, so perhaps some-one would like to put the footage up for me. Thanx.

Last night. Collingwood v Brisbane. Jarryd Blair getting a free kick for kneeing Tom Rockliffe in the head, when TR had already gathered the ball must be right up there.

Poor interpretation of a stupid rule.

I cannot, so perhaps some-one would like to put the footage up for me. Thanx.

2:27 mark. What a joke. Click here for direct link to the incident.

Not sure if this has been posted, but definitely one of the worst/most baffling frees I've ever seen.
And a very crucial point of that game too.

I hadn't seen that before, thats disgraceful. There is NOTHING you could even potentially penalize Otten for, his hand hit the ball for a spoil and Waite hadn't held it long enough for a mark.

I think last nights NAB GF first half was some of the worst umpiring, almost unwatchable. Kruezer took a dive in that ruck contest that resulted in a goal, it takes more than a little push to make a bloke who weighs around 100kg go tumbling to the ground. The 50 metre penalty against (forget his name) for that little touch in the back was the last straw for me i couldn't watch anymore.

I'd like to see the ball being played a little more and let the iffy one's go. Half the time now teams don't even know who's free it is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst umpiring decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back