Would Jason Dunstall be selected in a present-day side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great over the first couple of yards to create space against his direct opponent, great set of hands, and great set shot........

What do you think ??

It wasnt that long ago that Fraser Gehrig was playing.......hardly one to push deep into the opposition backline.

For me this is like asking if raylene Boyle would make the current women's Olympic team. Her times were slower than I can run.

The thing that makes these people champions is because of their competitiveness and dedication to perform and hone the skills that will help them achieve their goals to be the best.

To put things in perspective, he is the same Height as Chris Mayne (1.88m) and played at 10kg heavier.

A fitter and leaner (perhaps more muscular) Dunstall would be a weapon if he could get on to the end of marks regularly, especially with his kicking. Not sure how he'd go with injuries, maybe the reduced weight would help knees and so forth.

I think the fitness side of things would be the only query, as a talent there is no doubts.

unbelievably good mark for his size, strength was insane, you think Cloke is a monster, Dunstall was almost impossible to spoil once infront and on the lead.

Reckon he'd easily make the grade today and you only need to look at some of his best goals to see how agile and exceptional he was.

I dont think I have ever seen another player that could take a clean mark infront of his face on a full paced lead......Gee I wish Buddy had the Chief's hands.

Unusual choice, Dunstall was one of the first key forwards to play in the "modern" style, chasing and harrassing, passing to better position, etc. In the game he kicked 17, he chased a succession of opponents all the way to the wing/hbf before winning a holding the ball free kick.

In his career he laid 174 tackles in 269 games. Pre-Knee he laid 140 in 170 games, roughly one a game - in an era when the average tackles was ~<8000 per year.

Modern day tackle counts are ~26k per year, with a far greater focus on forward line tackles. So the equivalent key forwards with >3 tackles per game:

Franklin, Petrie, Kennedy, Darling.

Jason Dunstall nah I'd pass not worth considering some one as shit as him. I mean he is only the 3rd top goal kicker ever don't think he's worth a punt at all.

To say that football has changed a lot in the last 15 years is an understatement. With the moving press and the emphasis on accountability, the stationary full forward is becoming a thing of the past. Forwards who are lacking in chase speed are readily exploited on the counter-attack. Would Dunstall, a champion of his day, be able to make the grade?

Jack Riewoldt is apparently one of the great modern day forwards, so I think it's fair to say that Jason Dunstall would get a gig.

A better one. Q: Would any club draft Richo into a present day side?
A: No

Garbage.

Young Richo was one of the best combinations of size and athleticism I've ever seen. Would have clubs falling over themselves to draft him today. I mean, the bloke had taken 200 marks and kicked 87 goals at AFL level before he was even out of his teens, and took 177 marks and kicked 91 goals in 1996 as a 21 year old coming back from a knee reconstruction. He was an absolute phenomenon as a young player, and carved out a great career overall too.

I don't think so. His attitude to training and his onfield temperament would be issues I reckon. That's before we even get into his lack of willingness to chase even to the standard of his day.

I agree, his temperament would be his biggest problem. But as I alluded to in my post, he had the work ethic to get himself the fittest he'd been in his career at 35/36 years old training mostly by himself after being out of the game for two years. Not a huge feat given what his level of fitness was during the majority of career, but it did show he wasn't completely devoid of work ethic on the fitness side of football.

Um, Dunstall was considered the fastest player over the first 10 metres in the AFL . . .

I think Lockett was better overhead than Dunstall though. Judged the ball really well.

I never said Dunstall was slow, I was was pointing out that while Lockett often used his massive strength and bulk, he was actually a very accomplished player on the lead too.

Lockett was a couple of inches taller, the better overhead mark and probably had the greater wingspan too. Not that much of a stretch to say that with the effort he showed to get back to the game in 2002 he'd be better suited to present day FF. That's not to say Dunstall wouldn't be a champion in 2013 either, even if he didn't play as a FF he'd still be a 70-80 goal a year FP/HFF would be close to impossible to tackle, dead eye for goal and the ability to snap it over his head from basically any position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Capper be ever paid a mark again given the no hands in the back rule or would he still get a game at GWS as the AFL ambassador :p

To say that football has changed a lot in the last 15 years is an understatement. With the moving press and the emphasis on accountability, the stationary full forward is becoming a thing of the past. Forwards who are lacking in chase speed are readily exploited on the counter-attack. Would Dunstall, a champion of his day, be able to make the grade?

JD was never a stationary full forward.
His pressure, chasing and tackling was a big part of his game.

He was also blistering quick off the mark which had him in the top 5% in the league over 20 metres.

So yes, he would be a walk up start in any team.

Jason Dunstall nah I'd pass not worth considering some one as shit as him. I mean he is only the 3rd top goal kicker ever don't think he's worth a punt at all.

He was rubbish. Couldn't kick. Couldn't mark. Had a terrible work ethic and no 'team' ethos.

Delist.

Sheesh, of course he would. As much as i dislike the guy in his commentary career, he would be just as deadly in the current day playing patterns. Would straighten alot of teams up going forward.

Both Dunstall and Lockett would still be stars of the game no matter the era.

yep absoutely. people have to realise the talent of players don't change, just the techniques, training methods and style of play. also the size of humans change as we are much bigger now than in decades past. john nicholls was a ruckman at 189cm.

if dunstall was playing now he'd play a much more different game. he'd probably play the exact style of footy as buddy.

yep absoutely. people have to realise the talent of players don't change, just the techniques, training methods and style of play. also the size of humans change as we are much bigger now than in decades past. john nicholls was a ruckman at 189cm.

if dunstall was playing now he'd play a much more different game. he'd probably play the exact style of footy as buddy.

As Buddy...:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Jason Dunstall be selected in a present-day side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back