Would Michael Jordan dominate the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the wrong two sports are being compared here.

AFL and NFL should be the sports where elite players of each may be transferable to the other code. An elite wide receiver in the NFL could cut it at AFL level. Incredible speed, particularly acceleration, height, good build, great hands, ability to catch the ball with contact. Obviously the kicking would be a problem. Conversely I think an elite AFL forward could play in the NFL. Carey in his prime could have been tought to become a pretty good tight end. I'm not sure of Lance Franklin's acceleration numbers, hands or his agility but he could possibly become a decent WR.

Yeah, he would have dominated with a couple of years of training. At worst you could put him at CHF and he can handball off each of his 25 marks per game.

The NBA, simply put, has superior athletes (by far), and tons of them could excel at the "big" positions in the AFL.

How can you imply that the contact in NBA is on par with that of the AFL?

Playing in the post in basketball is as grueling on your body as anything in football. The contact isn't too dissimilar from a marking contest, but instead of doing it say 10 times a game for a few seconds as an AFL forward might, you're doing it for the best part of the game in basketball.

Having said that, Jordan was a guard, and there's not as much contact at that position.

I think the wrong two sports are being compared here.

Disagree. NFL is largely a power-based sport, whereas AFL is endurance based. NBA is somewhere in between, but certainly closer to AFL in this respect.

I think he did pretty good considering his age and when he took the game up....

Jordan is the best sportsmen ever.

He would slaughter AFL.

The Nike conditioning worked!

Best sportsman ever?! It is not even clear that he was the best basketballer ever!

Yes it is. The gap from Jordan to the second guy is bigger than the gap from second to tenth, IMO.

Look up a guy called Wilt Chamberlain.

Just because your posters, your movies, your shoes and Nike says so does not make it true. If wilt had the marketing machine you would say the same thing about him.

Just because your posters, your movies, your shoes and Nike says so does not make it true. If wilt had the marketing machine you would say the same thing about him.

Oh, the ironing.

Wilt was literally as close to a marketing machine in his time as possible. In his early years, the team owner would ensure that Wilt played 48mins/game, got the ball every time down the floor, and tried to score as much as possible. He was basically a travelling freak-show. This strategy resulted in exactly 0 titles for his team. Only later, when he finally became part of a team, did he start to win. He was a great player, but his stats are way over-inflated due to the above reasons.

However, Wilt would have been fantastic in the ruck. 7"1 and a state hurdles champion.

Oh, the ironing.

Wilt was literally as close to a marketing machine in his time as possible. In his early years, the team owner would ensure that Wilt played 48mins/game, got the ball every time down the floor, and tried to score as much as possible. He was basically a travelling freak-show. This strategy resulted in exactly 0 titles for his team. Only later, when he finally became part of a team, did he start to win. He was a great player, but his stats are way over-inflated due to the above reasons.

However, Wilt would have been fantastic in the ruck. 7"1 and a state hurdles champion.

Are you suggesting that Jordan did not get favourable treatment during his career? From coaches, teammates, officials (particularly referees)? I refuse to believe that anyone could call this guy the greatest sporstmen of all time. Jesse was better. Spitz was better. Even Maradona was better.

Are you suggesting that Jordan did not get favourable treatment during his career? From coaches, teammates, officials (particularly referees)? I refuse to believe that anyone could call this guy the greatest sporstmen of all time. Jesse was better. Spitz was better. Even Maradona was better.

I have no problem with you arguing he's not the greatest sportsmen ever - I'm not a keen watcher of golf, or swimming etc...so I don't know. But I do know basketball, and Jordan was clearly the best there. He got favourable treatment, but not much different to what any of the NBA stars gets. It's a star-driven business.

p.s. I think you'll find most soccer people would take Pele over Maradonna ;)

Playing in the post in basketball is as grueling on your body as anything in football. The contact isn't too dissimilar from a marking contest, but instead of doing it say 10 times a game for a few seconds as an AFL forward might, you're doing it for the best part of the game in basketball.

Having said that, Jordan was a guard, and there's not as much contact at that position.

And what exactly makes you qualified to make such a comment?

A marking contest in the AFL contains many variables and there are a lot of instances were a smaller opponent is contesting for the ball...I'm not a Basketball expert but I'd imagine the domain of the key is for the power forwards and centres who are usually 7ft +...Anyone that size can should be fairly comfortable with that kind of physicality.

You're singling out one specific area of the game - in AFL there is contact in almost every situation, and generally, if not always, much more brutal than Basketball.

Jordan spent a lot of time in the key going up against much bigger guys.

I think contact in AFL is tougher than basketball, simply because of the ability to tackle and bump hard. However, for some players the contact is more frequent in basketball. In any case, people who think basketball is a non-contact sport have no idea. Most professional basketballers would be able to cope with the physical side of AFL.

And what exactly makes you qualified to make such a comment?

Played both as a junior, still play basketball, and have watched both for a long time.

A marking contest in the AFL contains many variables and there are a lot of instances were a smaller opponent is contesting for the ball...I'm not a Basketball expert but I'd imagine the domain of the key is for the power forwards and centres who are usually 7ft +...Anyone that size can should be fairly comfortable with that kind of physicality.

Power Forwards and Centres aren't 7ft+ - They vary from 6"7 to 7"0+. Charles Barkley, one of the most physical players ever, was 6"4. Anyways, not sure why a player's height dictates whether they're capable of taking contact or not.

You're singling out one specific area of the game - in AFL there is contact in almost every situation, and generally, if not always, much more brutal than Basketball.

I just don't think you can make that generalisation. For example, Jordan would have jumped, been hit whilst in the air causing him to lose any balance, and landed on a wooden floor at least 2-3 times per game, often more. Does that qualify as contact? Is that less or more brutal than AFL? I'm not sure.

I have seen tapes of Wilt - unfortunately not old enough to see him live. But from what I have heard from Jordan himself, Wilt was a freak. Anyone who scores 100 points in a game is (and he had a 6 min spell on the bench LOL). Wilt makes Dean Cox look like he is from Jurassic Park

Disagree. NFL is largely a power-based sport, whereas AFL is endurance based. NBA is somewhere in between, but certainly closer to AFL in this respect.

thats the stupidest quote ever...... AFL is purely a power based sport. Look at the difference between players physical attributes from now and in the 90s, they are significantly taller and bigger.
The ELITE footballers in our competition are the powerful ones. Judd, Franklin, Ablett they all possess power through the hips and legs, trust me AFL is a power based sport, it just so happens you need endurance aswell.

It just goes to show once again that AFL footballers are the best athletes in the world, closely followed by basketballers

And to join the debate, i would of loved to see MJ play AFL theres no doubt he would of starred, in the current game, Lebron would be an Awesome ruckman i would think, 6'8 moves like a rover, would make cox look stupid. The next phase of these internationals comign to play our game will be the black americans that couldnt make it in NFL or NBA. and they will dominate.
I would also love to see Terrel Owens play AFL. now he WOULd dominate, more than any other american sportsman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're talking about midfielder endurance then you're right. Playing up forward, these guys would have the endurance easily. Endurance is something that can be attained anyway, to an extent.

Power Forwards and Centres aren't 7ft+ - They vary from 6"7 to 7"0+. Charles Barkley, one of the most physical players ever, was 6"4. Anyways, not sure why a player's height dictates whether they're capable of taking contact or not.

Barkley liked to convince the world that he was 6'4", but he is closer to 6'7" than 6'4"

barkleymug.jpg

BarkleyMJ_p01.jpg

During his college career, Barkley played the center position, despite being shorter than the average center. His height, frequently listed as 6 feet 6 inches, is stated as 6 feet 4 inches in his book I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley

Charles Barkley's height is 6 ft 4.75 in (195 cm)

US Basketball Star. In 1997 he said, "I'm 6-4 3/4 [6ft 6] just sounded good coming out of college". Someone pointed out his mugshot on SmokingGun: Charles Barkley Height Mark, another example of how mugshot angles can be deceiving and give a taller impression than in reality.

A salon article said about him: "What's so startling about the numbers is another number: his height of 6-foot-4....In 10th grade, pudgy and merely 5-foot-10, he failed to make his high school varsity squad...A 6-inch growth spurt his senior year led to a scholarship". Another article on Sports Illustrated said: "If they aren't smoked out at the pre-draft camp, padded heights get exposed at USA Basketball team trials. It was in the run-up to the 1992 Olympics that the world finally learned what the cognoscenti had long suspected -- that Charles Barkley was more like 6-4 5/8 than 6-6, and Magic Johnson closer to 6-7 than 6-9"

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Charles-Barkley-2722.html

Full Name: Charles Wade Barkley
Born: 2/20/63 in Leeds, Ala
College: Auburn
High School: Leeds (Ala.)
Drafted by: Philadelphia 76ers, 1984 (fifth overall)
Transactions: Traded to Phoenix Suns, 6/17/92; Traded to Houston Rockets, 8/19/96
Height: 6-6; Weight: 252 lbs.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/barkley_summary.html

I bit of conjecture on his height. I always remembered it being 6ft4.

Just watching LeBron and Howard go at it waiting to watch Judd and ....? Have to say watching these guys that comparing NBA athletes to AFL players is like comparing Serena Williams to Alisha Molik. They're all elite but one is just far more elite than the other.

Just watching LeBron and Howard go at it waiting to watch Judd and ....? Have to say watching these guys that comparing NBA athletes to AFL players is like comparing Serena Williams to Alisha Molik. They're all elite but one is just far more elite than the other.
act_lebron_james.jpg

Have been lucky to watch most of the NBA Conference Finals live due to knee reco and the guy above, Lebron James, is an absolute freak.

He would have to work on his aerobic capacity but undoubtedly could make it as a KP forward within the AFL if he had year or two of training to get the foot skills up to scratch. He 203cm and and 115kg's (basically Dean Cox) and would make Coxy's agility look like a dinosaur.

I have a belief that the top 2 or 3% players from most ball would be able to make a professional career in most other ball sports if that was the path they had chosen.

Lebron will go past Jordan IMO by the end of his career. He is out of this world.

big difference between running up & down a small baskteball court and a football field, I don't get the hype that is Jordan, the sport is not overly skilful and yet he is seen as one of the greatest athletes of all time.

someone explain this to me.

Are you joking? You must be joking. Your mindset must be something along the lines of "Yes you put a ball in the hole so what" :rolleyes:

That's like how my wife says "AFL is men running around the ground kicking a ball in short-shorts jumping on eachother".

Not only did Jordan have the physical attributes to be good at AFL, he had the work ethic and drive unparalleled to probably everyone else on the league, if he wanted to be good at it, he would.

He's been known to gamble hundreds of thousands of dollars on half court shots, and if he got down he wouldnt leave until he at least broke even

michael jordan would had been the biggest thing in the AFL history, people on here saying basketballers can't take a hit, come off it.. imagine his marks with his football size hands.. think about that... it would be crazy.. full forward he would play.. plus he was mentally insane on winning so im sure he would dominate,,.

hopefully oneday AFL gets a player with that mobility with size

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Michael Jordan dominate the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back