WRFL Division 1 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WRFL team of the year, debate and difficult too pick but gets the forum happening;

BACKS
Butina (Albion) - lead the cats goal kicking but played on the big guns all year. Great Season
Halloran (Altona) - Strong, dependable and hardly beaten.
Morgan (Spotty) - playing more attacking role this season, but needs to be in team.
H/BACK
Riosa (Hoppers) - consistent player and uses ball well.
Bonnet (Colts) - still the premier defender in comp
Taylor (St Alb) - very consistent, hard, honest player
CENTRE
Sutcliffe (colts) - really good player with great work rate.
Miles (Alt) - run, carry and gives his all every game.
Lunardi (Alt) - goal kicker and good skilled player
H/FORWARD
Klix (Deer Park) - won deer parks b&f and quality little player.
Cloke (Spotty) - 75 goals great, but a little quiet in 2nd half of season maybe due to contract talks.
O'Keefe (Spotty) - still a gun, kicks goals as a midfielder and quality under pressure.
FORWARD
Gestier (Deer Park) - Great on the lead, quick and pretty good kick.
Perkins (Colts) - will kick his 100 this week, and best forward in comp.
Jenkins (St Alb) - likely to feature in Priest medal, just a gun.
RUCKS
Julier (Colts) - put simply still no 1# ruck
Foley (Deer Park) - consistent, uses ball really well and played a number of roles but never beaten.
T.Langlands - only thing stopping him from winning comp is his team mates taking votes. Good Player
INT
Millar (Suns) - great year and back up to Julier who can kick goals.
Ramsay (Hoppers) - ball magnet, good at clearances and good work rate who likes it hard.
R.Newton (Nth Foot) - quick, skillful and kicks goals will continue to develop and be a gun.
Sheehan (Suns) - under the radar but gets a lot of possessions, plenty of clearances and very consistent.

Unlucky: R.King, B.Perry, K.Taylor, A.Souki, C,Daltera, T.Henderson, P.Wiggins, T.Finco, L.Spiteri, T.Jehle, C.Brannan, W,Twomey, J.Trevaskis, C.Stewart.

Apologies to Heights but just couldn't get anyone in, coach of the year should be the premiership coach, interested in others opinion and obviously I watch one game a week?

D Altera is a certainty. To kick 50 goals in a team that finishes with 2 wins and the second least "points for" is a fair effort. Far more impressive than 50 from Geister.

Apart from Riosa (who I wouldnt have in my 50 first picked) and Miallar (out for Stewart) its not a bad team.

I am going for Sutcliffe in the priest medal. Gun.

D Altera is a certainty. To kick 50 goals in a team that finishes with 2 wins and the second least "points for" is a fair effort. Far more impressive than 50 from Geister.

Apart from Riosa (who I wouldnt have in my 50 first picked) and Miallar (out for Stewart) its not a bad team.

I am going for Sutcliffe in the priest medal. Gun.

I agree Sutcliffe is a 'gun', and will go close.

Its a pity he wont be playing this weekend though, Colts lost their momentum once he did his hamstring on the weekend.

I think Stewart, Taylor & D'Altera miss selection by injury and agree GB50 that D'Altera extremely unlucky, could easily replace Geister. However reckon I have been completely unbiased and Millar from what I have seen is ahead of Stewart + Perry for the 2nd big man spot.

WRFL team of the year, debate and difficult too pick but gets the forum happening;

BACKS
Butina (Albion) - lead the cats goal kicking but played on the big guns all year. Great Season
Halloran (Altona) - Strong, dependable and hardly beaten.
Morgan (Spotty) - playing more attacking role this season, but needs to be in team.
H/BACK
Riosa (Hoppers) - consistent player and uses ball well.
Bonnet (Colts) - still the premier defender in comp
Taylor (St Alb) - very consistent, hard, honest player
CENTRE
Sutcliffe (colts) - really good player with great work rate.
Miles (Alt) - run, carry and gives his all every game.
Lunardi (Alt) - goal kicker and good skilled player
H/FORWARD
Klix (Deer Park) - won deer parks b&f and quality little player.
Cloke (Spotty) - 75 goals great, but a little quiet in 2nd half of season maybe due to contract talks.
O'Keefe (Spotty) - still a gun, kicks goals as a midfielder and quality under pressure.
FORWARD
Gestier (Deer Park) - Great on the lead, quick and pretty good kick.
Perkins (Colts) - will kick his 100 this week, and best forward in comp.
Jenkins (St Alb) - likely to feature in Priest medal, just a gun.
RUCKS
Julier (Colts) - put simply still no 1# ruck
Foley (Deer Park) - consistent, uses ball really well and played a number of roles but never beaten.
T.Langlands - only thing stopping him from winning comp is his team mates taking votes. Good Player
INT
Millar (Suns) - great year and back up to Julier who can kick goals.
Ramsay (Hoppers) - ball magnet, good at clearances and good work rate who likes it hard.
R.Newton (Nth Foot) - quick, skillful and kicks goals will continue to develop and be a gun.
Sheehan (Suns) - under the radar but gets a lot of possessions, plenty of clearances and very consistent.

Unlucky: R.King, B.Perry, K.Taylor, A.Souki, C,Daltera, T.Henderson, P.Wiggins, T.Finco, L.Spiteri, T.Jehle, C.Brannan, W,Twomey, J.Trevaskis, C.Stewart.

Apologies to Heights but just couldn't get anyone in, coach of the year should be the premiership coach, interested in others opinion and obviously I watch one game a week?

like butina down back....great year

swap newton for daltera plenty of quick skillfull players in your list.....

klix to feature also in barry priest....

t.finco or p.wiggins in for gestier.....whilst gestier played some parts of games down back didnt play enough games to qualify imo like stewart prob missed 5 or 6 games.......

el-hawli has had a consistant year in a good team.....always features in the goal kickers with multiples for spotty

Went down yesterday and watched a good game

Altona came out and got the jump Spotty came back and dominated late in the first early in the second but struggled on the scoreboard

To Altona's credit they started to get on top again and played better football for the rest the day

Hallaron just punched everything read the ball amazingly

Miles just ran all day redicilas how hard this bloke runs some huge pressure acts he was involved in which resulted in goals

The real star of the day was Lunardi dead set amazing some of the things he did in tight spots just moves so well and kicked some crucial goals late to seal it BOG easily

Altona look to have it they are to quick and seem to beable to match it physically which was not the case last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joey Halloran only 21 y.o
Quality recruit for Altona. Bit stiff not to be given a decent shot at Werribee, reckon he'd have held his own in the VFL seniors. Given some decent forwards in Cloke and Carey a touch up this year.

Same sort of comment about limited opportunities at Werribee could be made about Jase Perkins. Another one who could have done well in VFL seniors.

Well done Jason buttina on winning his 2nd B&F at Albion just beating kym Taylor by 5 votes who missed the last 5 games both players should make team of the year!!!! Dubba hall, Brent Davis and azza tymms making up the top 5 all within 3 votes. Good night with good people

And well done inka on his res B&F

Is that 4 second semi losses in a row for Spotswood ?
Probably does'nt matter when they go on and win the big one as they usually do. Will still win it imo. Due respect to Altona who deserve as much as any team over the last few years to win one.Providing Cloke is fit they have a target inside 50 that can kick 5-6 goals along with small to mid size like Pope who can do the same. As posted a while back Altona rely too heavily on mids led by Lunardi to kick their score as witnessed again on the weekend with him being leading goal scorer and the rest made up of mid types barring 1 from Knight who is probably a forward. They have no real key forward option which is always a worry and this could be the difference in the GF if Cloke pulls his finger out. Altona played quite well on the weekend and got the points and a deserved spot in the GF. Spotty were poor with no influence from some key players and got beat by 11 points. Can improve drastically on that performance i reckon. With no disrespect to Hoppers i think Spotty will be too good this week and the best 2 sides of the year will play in the GF. Regardless how this week turns out Hoppers deserve kudos for a great year considering all and sundry on here and around the traps were prepared to write them off over the preseason. The Rest of em disappointing.

someone mentioned Carey did his hammy in the last few minutes yesterday? i didnt notice it myself but wondering from anyone at hoppers knows? I know Knight did his in the 2nd 1/4 and didnt return.

Went down and watched Altona vs Spotty on the weekend. Pretty good game of footy.

One observation I made was clear that Altona gets alot of their goals from mids who can just run run run

Cloke had no impact on the game whatsoever.

I think this will be the Grand Final as Spotty should account for Hoppers this weekend (no disrespect).

Will be interesting as I think the Key to Altona getting over the line are the following players: Lunardi, Kennedy & Miles.

Stop or even curb their influence and I reckon Spotty will win especially if Cloke bobs up.

If not then IMO Altona will be too good.... Well deserved as well.

Heard some rumors that altona might be struggling to come up with players match payments
Heard that one weeks ago, having a sportys day next Friday to raise some funds, with all 3 teams in grand final already next Saturday night will bring in some much needed funds over the bar and a bucket will be handed around for supporters to help out

There having a huge function next Friday which i am sure they will raise plenty

Sam Kekovich is a guest speaker for the day he was organised by one of the clubs long time supporters

Have heard him speak a couple of times the bloke is a gem one of the funniest people around

Heard that one weeks ago, having a sportys day next Friday to raise some funds, with all 3 teams in grand final already next Saturday night will bring in some much needed funds over the bar and a bucket will be handed around for supporters to help out

All good having 3 teams in GF already but wouldn't won't to be hoping for funds over the bar on that night to play players, what happens if you lose? There is a big difference on how many turn up depending on a win or a loss! Trust me seen it happen in last 2 years.
Not having a go at alton a or bashing them I just wouldn't won't to see happen to another club like what happened to mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back