Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: www.footyjumpers.com

Was told today a teams home jumper willtotally change 4 next season. A team with mabye west in there name. Fromwhat i amtold they want to go back to there roots and be named there originalname with old jumper. I would love for it to be true.

It's not really a secret that the Bulldogs will most likely be changing to their 70's jumper.

Was told today a teams home jumper willtotally change 4 next season. A team with mabye west in there name. Fromwhat i amtold they want to go back to there roots and be named there originalname with old jumper. I would love for it to be true.

Go back to their roots? Old jumper? A team with "West" in their name?

I'm thinking an ochre return :thumbsu:

I don't think the removal of a dogs head from the front of the jumper is totally changing it...

Yeah, but they're also (supposedly) going back to the 54 design with separate red and white hoops, rather than the red hoop with white outline that adorned the pre-robopuppy jumper.

It is totally changing it

It's just my opinion but I don't think removing the dogs head and changing the placement and size of the hoops/bands is TOTALLY changing it.

Footscray-2010.gif

Footscray-1946.gif

This is totally changing a jumper design IMO:

West-Coast-1996.gif

To this:

West-Coast-2000.gif

Or this:

Fremantle-Home-2010.gif

To this:

Fremantle-Home-2011.gif

But thats just me.

and there is three teams with west IN their name.

greater WESTern sydney

I know, I was just joking about that, he said "West" not "Western".;)

I may be the only one who actually has no problem with the 'robo dog' design. It's still simple enough (dog is only a silhouette) and without it I almost think that it's 'too plain' :eek:
Originally I prefered it over all three options but the '54 style' bands have since grown on me A LOT. I'll be happy with anything but the '80s style' band but really wouldn't care if they kept it as is. If done correctly, I actually reckon that watermarked '54 style' would be a winner :thumbsu:
I've always grown up with the current guernsey and that is probably the reason why I don't mind it. Same with the 'Western Bulldogs' name over 'Footscray'. I can certainly see why a lot of the older members are disappointed with the current brand but I really have no issue. To me 'Footscray' does sound pretty unappealing though...

It doesn't matter if it sounds appealing, it's the history and tradition that's been built up beside the name for over a hundred years. It would be like Port changing their name to the Northern Power or something like that, as well as wacking a big lightning bolt their jumper.

In an ideal world the Footscray Bulldogs would wear their '54 jumper but I'm happy with just the jumper.

Yeah, I fully understand why people are disappointed and I would hate for port to do that. I am just 'used to it' as much as anything, having grown up with the club like this my whole life. I have no personal connection to it, which is all I was really saying. From a marketing perspective, trying to attract new members, I think their current setup works best though. The location is broader, applying to a wider area and more than just one suburb and the guernsey is more modern, interesting and attractive to new and in particular younger fans

I've always grown up with the current guernsey and that is probably the reason why I don't mind it. Same with the 'Western Bulldogs' name over 'Footscray'. I can certainly see why a lot of the older members are disappointed with the current brand but I really have no issue. To me 'Footscray' does sound pretty unappealing though...

No more unappealing than "Port Adelaide" to some of us. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are just envious of our success and tradition :p Just cos Richmond haven't won a flag since 1980 and Carlton haven't won a flag since 1995 (I assume before you were born Andonis) ;)
I personally don't hate the Footscray name though. I was simply just stating that from a marketing perspective it probably isn't ideal. Someone on here (for some reason I thought it was you Omegaville) said that simply because it has the word 'foot' in it, it could turn people off

Btw Andonis if Omegaville doesn't want the beer, I'll gladly have it ;)

Yeah, I fully understand why people are disappointed and I would hate for port to do that. I am just 'used to it' as much as anything, having grown up with the club like this my whole life. I have no personal connection to it, which is all I was really saying. From a marketing perspective, trying to attract new members, I think their current setup works best though. The location is broader, applying to a wider area and more than just one suburb and the guernsey is more modern, interesting and attractive to new and in particular younger fans
Not all of our 70,000 members live in Collingwood. ;)

Not all of our 70,000 members live in Collingwood. ;)

Yeah true. Although someone in the Western suburbs (sorry, have no idea of Victorian geography) would feel more inclined to go for the Western Bulldogs than Footscray, which may be 10-15 minutes away.

That was me, PAFC. ;)

The beer??

How much could you really do though? Essentially the logo was the exact same 'robo dog', just squashed up a bit. They couldn't really incorporate any of the current logo into it, because its already in there

You guys are just envious of our success and tradition :p Just cos Richmond haven't won a flag since 1980

:rolleyes:

I'm not envious of Port Adelaide's history. I'm just pointing out that it's a dull, almost made-up name, like Port Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney.

Eagles1992 says Footscray is an ugly word. I disagree. Collingwood has an equal claim. Difference is, Footscray is named after the Foot's Cray in London, and Collingwood was a person, second in command to Nelson.

Dumbest name would have to be St Kilda, which is named not for a saint, but a Scottish rock formation with a name badly translated into English centuries ago... some idiot brought the name to Australia with him and we're stuck with it.

Yep. I love the old 90's Footscray logo as well. How many other clubs have flirted with a triangular shield? Really original and it works well with the angles of the Robodog.

Of all the teams in the AFL, the Bulldogs have the best assets to work with, when designing a logo. You can adhere to a traditionalist look, which I absolutely love.
Footscray-logo-1977.gif

Yet the South Fremantle Bulldogs logo is one I've always loved. Very archetypical of Australian rules.
south-fremantle-fc-15tntt9.jpg

And the simplicity of the animal is another point of exploitation. You can make some very clean, concise, and marketable lines.
Footscray-logo-1990.gif

Why not focus on recent events and rename themselves the Pitbulls...

:rolleyes:

I'm not envious of Port Adelaide's history. I'm just pointing out that it's a dull, almost made-up name, like Port Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney.

How is it 'made up'? Port Adelaide is a huge suburb and is technically actually a city. Has been pretty much forever :/
It is the name of the place, what else are they supposed to call it? It's not just the name of a general area, but a place (unlike GWS). If you go to Port Adelaide, you go to Port Adelaide. If you go to GWS, you may go to one of several places, such as Penrith.
I guess technically the PAFC is now in Alberton (a smaller suburb) but the club was originally formed in Port Adelaide. I'm no historian but I do know that the club has not always been located at Alberton, where it is now. Port Adelaide being called Port Adelaide is no different to Adelaide being called Adelaide. It is a city, unlike 'Greater Western Sydney' and 'Western (bulldogs)'. I guess the club could have renamed themselves the Alberton FC upon entering the AFL but that would have just been sheer stupidity!
I'm not saying that the 'Western Bulldogs' name isn't 'made-up'. It was obviously created as a way to attract more members. All I'm saying is that from a marketing perspective it probably works better and that I personally have always known the club as the 'Western Bulldogs' and do not actually care if they change or not. Just my personal opinion and I recognise that it is different to 90% of other people (see my first post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back