Yarran gone for weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is expecting to be punched in Afl these days? Jumper punched... Sure. But someone taking an actual swing... It doesn't really happen anymore. Why? Because you'll get suspended!

Yes and it's actually awesome to see someone get decked. Like some kid getting your face cos the teacher is watching. Scarlett decking Ballantyne is one of everyone's favorite football moments :D

He'll get two weeks, nice punch.

Would love to see how many of you tough nuts would manage to stay upright after taking a punch to the temple from a professional athlete.
There is undoubtedly many pussies on BF............but that doesn't mean all are. I'm sure there would be some tough boys on this site. We are all from different walks of life, some walk in darker places than others, but still love the footy.
This is nothing against you Quoteman, I just used your post. I've always found it fascinating that most people equate AFL player/ability to fight. I don't post much but have read these boards for years and have read countless times ' you wouldn't say that to so and so's face'. I doubt there'd be 1 genuinely scary AFL player today. Hall was the last one, for me.
Maybe thread worthy topic in it's self. No doubt would end in the typical only players form my club are tough lines though.
Cheers man.

Mmmm, I made that comment based on his soft play, but after looking at the footage, he is much bigger than I thought and he looked like he knew what he was doing. It was a pretty good punch.
Not sure he's too fond of copping the punishment, but Blues players would tell you he'd be one of the last ones you'd want throwing them at you. You never know, maybe Jack Watts is handy at throwing them too?!

4th post bud....

Hmmm...fair point.

What I should have said is 'more anger directed at Yarran...' Whenever Steve Johnson has one of these brain snaps, I'm not having a go at the opponent who 'went down too easily', or the umpires for persecuting our boys (though a lot of supporters will), I'm filthy at Johnson for being an idiot...again.

Still waiting for a Carlton supporter to mention how stupid it is for Yarran to (undoubtedly) get himself suspended for multiple weeks, considering the situation his club is in and that he was one of just eight 100 game veterans for the Blues today.

Valid point. That punch could very well prove to be the difference between us finishing 17th and 18th this year.

Probably worth it, though...:p

Hmmm...fair point.

What I should have said is 'more anger directed at Yarran...' Whenever Steve Johnson has one of these brain snaps, I'm not having a go at the opponent who 'went down too easily', or the umpires for persecuting our boys (though a lot of supporters will), I'm filthy at Johnson for being an idiot...again.

Think most of the frustration was from Tim Watson and co talking it up like he needs jail time and that Chapman was an innocent little flower in the altercation.

There is undoubtedly many pussies on BF............but that doesn't mean all are. I'm sure there would be some tough boys on this site. We are all from different walks of life, some walk in darker places than others, but still love the footy.
This is nothing against you Quoteman, I just used your post. I've always found it fascinating that most people equate AFL player/ability to fight. I don't post much but have read these boards for years and have read countless times ' you wouldn't say that to so and so's face'. I doubt there'd be 1 genuinely scary AFL player today. Hall was the last one, for me.
Maybe thread worthy topic in it's self. No doubt would end in the typical only players form my club are tough lines though.
Cheers man.

I posted a link earlier from the AFL website which asked various players who they'd least like to come up against in the boxing ring. Both Chapman (still at Geelong, at the time) and Yarran were mentioned, more than once, and I think Chapman was the consensus answer from the Geelong players that responded. So, while there would be a few players (especially younger players, that might be fairly new to that particular exercise) that wouldn't have much of a clue, I think it's reasonable to assume that both Chapman and Yarran go alright. And, by extension, that they'd probably be quite handy without gloves, as well.

Love it. Chapman starts it on the flank throwing a couple into Yarran, then Yarran smashes him and its a dog act. Get real, if you have only seen the footage you simply can't comment.

I wonder how many weeks Chapman will get for Head butting and shoving the umpire out of the way, Chapman is a Cat...

Chapman said after the game that there's a rumour going around about him having shots at players' skin colour, and more or less speculated that that might've been what started the angst.

Wow did he really say that?
Rarely do we see a player give insight into what may actually be going on.

I actually think this deserves just as much attention as the Yarran hit.
Pretty harsh on Chappy if the rumours are untrue (which you'd hope, given he's talking about it), very harsh on Yarran if the rumours are true and that that was what started it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it. Chapman starts it on the flank throwing a couple into Yarran, then Yarran smashes him and its a dog act. Get real, if you have only seen the footage you simply can't comment.

I wonder how many weeks Chapman will get for Head butting and shoving the umpire out of the way, Chapman is a Cat...

It's certainly not a dog act. Stupid, though.

I posted a link earlier from the AFL website which asked various players who they'd least like to come up against in the boxing ring. Both Chapman (still at Geelong, at the time) and Yarran were mentioned, more than once, and I think Chapman was the consensus answer from the Geelong players that responded. So, while there would be a few players (especially younger players, that might be fairly new to that particular exercise) that wouldn't have much of a clue, I think it's reasonable to assume that both Chapman and Yarran go alright. And, by extension, that they'd probably be quite handy without gloves, as well.
Yeah you're right mate. There may just be a few. I guess the most accurate nominations would come from in house - trainers, team mates etc. I think that Melksham dude from the Bombers reportedly goes alright too. Never picked Yarran for a ringer, probably explains why I've lost so many fights.
Cheers man.

Yeah you're right mate. There may just be a few. I guess the most accurate nominations would come from in house - trainers, team mates etc. I think that Melksham dude from the Bombers reportedly goes alright too. Never picked Yarran for a ringer, probably explains why I've lost so many fights.
Cheers man.
Kerr was one of the last. The angry midget supposedly had a legendary sparring match with Green when he came to the club for boxing training/ a workshop.

As for Yarran, the same video mentioned Walters and NN. All three grew up together in Midland, which is a pretty rough working class suburb.

NN seems to be a super nice guy, but he is a keen boxer. All three probably know how to throw down

Last edited:
Hmmm...fair point.

To be fair, Yarran hasn't really had a brain fade like that before.

Chapman said after the game that there's a rumour going around about him having shots at players' skin colour, and more or less speculated that that might've been what started the angst.

Well if Chappy's mentioning it, unlikely?

I thought he started it just to get in Yarrans head, who was on him. Just a bit of push and shove. That was what seemed to get Yarran riled up, about midway through the tussle he really fired up. I would have thought if racism started it, he would be fired up from the very start.

Would wait patiently for news from Carlton first - probably just journalists making a story from nothing.

Saw it live as the people sitting next to me pointed out they were pushing and shoving. I watched them. It was your usual push and shove and then with Chappy's hands down Yarran went BOOM. I was thinking 6 weeks with a reduction when concussion was in play, however, once Chappy came back out to play I think it'll be 3 down to 2 with a guilty plea.

A big of a dog act. Then to follow him off the ground like that. He'll be embarrassed about it when he gets a chance to cool down.

Kerr was one of the last. The angry midget supposedly had a legendary sparring match with Green when he came to the club for boxing training/ a workshop.

Interesting, then, that the story (at least the one that I heard) of the infamous Cousins broken arm incident was that he was pushed down the stairs of a club after handling Kerr quite comfortably in a bit of a 'difference of opinions'.

Think most of the frustration was from Tim Watson and co talking it up like he needs jail time and that Chapman was an innocent little flower in the altercation.
I'm always impressed by his ability to be impartial as a commentator, but Tim Watson should not commentate Essendon games. You can't change history and, well, Jobe.

Saw the whole thing, I was seated right on the southern wing and where they started was exactly in my eyeline between me and the Blues player with the ball.

Blues player was having a set shot and Chapman was pushing Yarran back to stop him running past for the handball. It was more aggressive than your usual guarding or body checking, he was actually pushing him with both hands to the chest.

They shoved each other a few times then were jogging together back toward the centre bumping and pushing.

Then started wrestling, and Yarran threw one. Whole crowd was kind of surprised because you saw him actually draw back and throw one rather then the regular jumper punches you see on an AFL field.

It was a good hit, fast and it caught Chapman and he went down, but he got straight up to his feet again, he wasn't really hurt. And of course he also played out the game.

He'll get weeks, nothing stupid like six or anything, but somewhere between 1 and 3 I'd say, who knows with the tribunal. It was a good punch and connected. It wasn't like Barry Hall or anything, they were engaged and it was just a quick one, didn't knock him out or anything

It wasn't a king hit. It wasn't a dog act. They were toe to toe. But he did throw one and it was a good one.

The bigger concern as they spoke about after the game on MMM was (a) Yarrans lack of discipline which will have him in the stands for next week and maybe more, something Carlton can ill afford, and also Yarrans very poor game overall, they named him in the worst three on the ground. Not sure if it had anything to do with the clash but opponents may now try to "get him in" because he's a top player and they'll want to put him off his game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back