Preview Yer A Lizard Harry - Magic Round - Richmond VS Sydney - Adelaide Oval - Friday 8:10PM (GMT)

Who will win

• Sydney 1-7

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Sydney 8-20

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Sydney 20-39

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Sydney 39+

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Richmond 1-7

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Richmond 8-20

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Richmond 20-39

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Richmond 39+

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Wingardium Leviosa

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree, because Hawthorn were largely witches hats. We had to work harder against Gold Coast, even if it was the conditions against us a lot of the time, though I think they provided more opposition.

Also disagree that we're playing too safe. Against the Dees and on the weekend, there's been plenty of times we've tried to be too cute, tried to break through tackles when we clearly shouldn't. Yes, we shouldn't just bomb it long all the time, but some of our attacking plays have been questionable.

It's the second guessing that's our biggest issue right now. Find the ball and just go get the corridor if need be otherwise handball it through, spot 20-30m targets. We have all these great kicks and yet our gameplay is bomb it, that defies any logic at all. At the moment it's like our mids are overthinking everything and taking forever to actually do their first option.

I'm on the Gould bandwagon, he's put in the hard yards, got to a very good standard last year, and it'd be nice to have someone in the senior team from my hometown area (since Dawson abandoned us).

BUT, I don't think you can make the case that he's currently the most in form reserves player that can play KPD. That's Francis. So if Gould isn't picked, it's because Francis has looked better. The question is whether he's shown enough as a KPD in pre-season (it is the position we traded him in for).

Francis isn't playing defence, whether I agree with this is another thing though. I hate him forward. he's a natural defender.

Francis isn't playing defence, whether I agree with this is another thing though. I hate him forward. he's a natural defender.
Yes I know, I've stated that several times. We just don't have the options up forward in reserves. We're not doing it because we want him to play forward.

It just comes down to whether you pick the player in form, but hasn't been playing as much in defence (he would have in pre-season and in training), or you go with the player in less form, but only playing as a defender. I don't think there's a definitive right or wrong answer there.

We have two forced changes (well three as Fox was the sub).
I'm not sure we'll make anymore than 3. That would be unusual.
For mine we would bring Gould in for Tom and Francis for Paddy. Allow Rampe to continue to play the role he's been playing.
I would go one step further and bring Fox in, push Campbell up to HFF and drop Harry. Play Campbell pretty high and Hayward closer to goal to give more pressure.

For mine we would bring Gould in for Tom and Francis for Paddy. Allow Rampe to continue to play the role he's been playing.
I would go one step further and bring Fox in, push Campbell up to HFF and drop Harry. Play Campbell pretty high and Hayward closer to goal to give more pressure.
This is the correct answer. Well done.

Sheldrick also comes in as the sub though would have netted you extra points.

Is the weather outlook grim for the entire weekend? BOM atm looks okay for the weekend but I don't trust it this far out.
Without going too weather geek.
Its dependant on the the track of the soon to be cyclone near WA.
It seems to have slowed down a bit and is tending a more easterly direction on latest charts.
Some models had it tracking south and interacting with a moderate cold front and associated trough.

Gut feel.
Thursday Fine.
Friday fine early tending to Rain at night. Timing to be determined.
Saturday wet with a drying trend of SW winds later.
Sunday will be chance of a shower.

This is 7pm (6.30pm SA time) Friday. You can see a pretty strong and wet system pushing towards Adelaide. Its getting its juice from the ex cyclone.
footy.png

Last edited:
If Gould doesn't play this week, there was absolutely no reason for us to re-sign him. He simply has to get his chance IMO, especially with Paddy's future being very unclear at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would almost settle for winning the clearances

Gold Coast - 46
Sydney - 39

Hawthorn - 35
Sydney - 27

Melbourne - 33
Sydney - 33

Port Adelaide - 41
Sydney - 36
And Melbourne is the only game we didn’t win the inside 50 count (-8).

The other three games have been +20, +16 and +22

It’s not really clearances costing us, it’s delivery execution and conversion inside forward 50.

Without going too weather geek.
Its dependant on the the track of the soon to be cyclone near WA.
It seems to have slowed down a bit and is tending a more easterly direction on latest charts.
Some models had it tracking south and interacting with a moderate cold front and associated trough.

Gut feel.
Thursday Fine.
Friday fine early tending to Rain at night. Timing to be determined.
Saturday wet with a drying trend of SW winds later.
Sunday will be chance of a shower.

This is 7pm (6.30pm SA time) Friday. You can see a pretty strong and wet system pushing towards Adelaide. Its getting its juice from the ex cyclone.
View attachment 1656427

Cheers mate, tbh I enjoy your weather info ha

And Melbourne is the only game we didn’t win the inside 50 count (-8).

The other three games have been +20, +16 and +22

It’s not really clearances costing us, it’s delivery execution and conversion inside forward 50.
IMO our clearances and our forward entries go hand-in-hand.

I would be willing to bet that at least 75% of our clearances are won on the defensive side of the stoppage, because our inability to just get clean hands on the ball in the contest forces us to scrap and scramble rather than simply rove/crumb and break away out the front of the stoppage.

If you bomb it inside 50 from the front of a stoppage - like Oliver, Petracca and Sparrow were doing against us - you can send it long and deep, about 20m out. At best it's marked by a forward, at worst it goes over the line for a forward 50 stoppage or crumbed by a small for a shot at goal.

If you bomb it inside 50 from behind a stoppage - like we always do - you've already lost territory that you're then having to make up for with the kick. So it leads to a much more shallow entry.

I'd be intrigued to see a map of all our kicks inside 50 this year, and the placement of them. Because I feel like the majority would be to about the 40-50m range, rather than the 20-30m range. I'd also like to see how many metres we gain from our clearances, because I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the negative in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back