Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No s**t Sherlock

No, I credit the players when they win and pot them when they lose.

The coach provides a gameplan and tools on how to win - the rest of up to the players. We had opportunities to win, but didn't take them. For me, that's on the players.

Yes, goalkicking is partly Kens responsibility, but he can't kick it for them. He's also not the skills coach. I'm well aware of Schulz offer, but we are already paying someone to do this job, and it would undermine them. We need an internal review, and whoever is responsible for our goal kicking needs to go. This is the nuance between the easy target of Ken vs a more micro view on the individual components in the coaching team etc.
Surely though, you have to admit that it's the coaches job to get them playing his way and executing? If he can't then he needs to put players on the park that will. If you haven't done that after 10+ seasons then I would question his ability or judgement. Once again, there are coaches that have actually made grand finals that have had that call made in less time. Also, do you Believe for one minute that Ken wouldn't be lapping up the credit if we'd gone a couple of steps further? By his own admission, this is the best list he's had! Better than those he took to a prelim! I don't blame Ken for EVERYTHING, but jeez surely we are out of excuses. Maybe Warren Treadrea should be coach because he seemed to be able to motivate our group more with a few sentences on a podcast than Ken could in two finals appearances this year.

I'm very big on manifestation and positive thinking and I feel that alot of the language that comes from Kens mouth negatively manifests bad results and bad energy among the group. The best things he did as a coach was in 2013-14 saying that we never give up, which resulted in a team mentality that literally never gave up until the final siren. Then in 2020 he came out in the preseason and said that we wanted to win the whole comp, which resulted in us finishing top and 5 points from a Grand Final, in all his unsuccessful years hes pumped up the opposition and had a loser mentality.
On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Great post
Cahill had a great gift for instilling confidence in players, he convinced average players like fiacchi & Delaney that they were champions and they played accordingly.

Yet we have dumbass telling a group of our players that they have nothing more to offer.

I think this is where we lost the game. Lycett just offers nothing these days.
Lycetts last 4 games have all been losses
Hayes last 4 games have all been wins
Lycett gives our mids nothing
Negates our tactical advantage
Was benched in the first ten minutes in the 2 finals

For anyone who thinks Wines was stuck on the wing, nope hes just a dud. Was at 65% of centre bounces, second highest after Butters

For anyone who thinks Wines was stuck on the wing, nope hes just a dud. Was at 65% of centre bounces, second highest after Butters
**** knows why we didn't use Drew or even Boak more in clearances. They were the only real winners all night in the contest and instead we stuck them on the wing whilst persisting with Wines and Rozee who couldn't get near it.

Another Hinkley masterclass in not making any game day changes and sticking with a failing game plan.

Lycetts last 4 games have all been losses
Hayes last 4 games have all been wins
Lycett gives our mids nothing
Negates our tactical advantage
Was benched in the first ten minutes in the 2 finals

Lycett played in almost all the games our midfield was torched (i think he missed the second showdown?)
Played a couple of reasonable games midseason.

Ken will never win a premiership, not with the boys we have, we need men, gonna have to wait another 3 years…. We won’t make the eight next year, truly, its time for a rebuild…. Here’s hoping for a gws and lions final… let there be a footy god….
I agree with this, I look at our list and they really all do look like kids compared to other teams

We came 5th but just got over the line on multiple occasions. Overall a pass to good considering the problems we had. Won a lot of games, club it still growing, players want to come here.
Unfortunately in the end the list was to banged up. Had structural deficiencies from the get go. Held together by a break out year for our young midfield.
Now we also have some overrated players also. (Wines & Duursma-pls no more arrows), the other under-performers have excuses because they either didnt have the ability in the first place (Mcentee and dbj) or have passed it, (boak, lycett) and the others banged up or undersized for the job.
Good thing is they have a young ruckman in the wings and will recruit the Geelong defender.
Need to fix up the wings and find another onballer.
So 6 changes to the side that ran out last night. (Lycett, McKenzie, dbj, mcentee, boak, wines, dursma)
Let’s see what Cripps can do.

We came 5th but just got over the line on multiple occasions. Overall a pass to good considering the problems we had. Won a lot of games, club it still growing, players want to come here.
Unfortunately in the end the list was to banged up. Had structural deficiencies from the get go. Held together by a break out year for our young midfield.
Now we also have some overrated players also. (Wines & Duursma-pls no more arrows), the other under-performers have excuses because they either didnt have the ability in the first place (Mcentee and dbj) or have passed it, (boak, lycett) and the others banged up or undersized for the job.
Good thing is they have a young ruckman in the wings and will recruit the Geelong defender.
Need to fix up the wings and find another onballer.
So 6 changes to the side that ran out last night. (Lycett, McKenzie, dbj, mcentee, boak, wines, dursma)
Let’s see what Cripps can do.
Going out in straight sets (losing to teams we comprehensively beat in the regular season) is not a pass-good result, its a fail.

Considering Hinkley started the year claiming this was the best list he's ever had and we are 3 years into to the CEOs 5 year plan, during which we were aiming for 3 flags this year has been another comprehensive failure.

Going out in straight sets (losing to teams we comprehensively beat in the regular season) is not a pass-good result, its a fail.

Considering Hinkley started the year claiming this was the best list he's ever had and we are 3 years into to the CEOs 5 year plan, during which we were aiming for 3 flags this year has been another comprehensive failure.
When we beat gws, they did not show up. They were as pathetic as us, worse. We are overrated in comparison to the other top sides and it didn’t take a straight set loss in the finals to prove that. Some here seem surprised. You get found out against better teams especially when you don’t have depth and your list is as banged up as ours.

Do u really think that’s a premiership list? 5 players on that list/ side that would struggle to make an impact on any list in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Popping over to the comments section of ports official facebook... so many apparently happy with the season and proud of the effort. It's baffling.

We're all doomed. Just another irrelevant Saint Kilda/Fremantle/Roos franchise.
I assume bots and/or Jordan are removing any dissenting posts as soon as they're made.

It's all part of the mission accomplished messaging the Club has curated. A jump from 10th to 5th was deserving of accolades (and a contract extension), but we had no right to expect more.

Anyone else notice that for some reason last night any time the ball went near the boundary line, our players just totally switched off.

Numerous occasions it went near the boundary and we just came to a stand still. Meanwhile, the ball remained in play and the Giants just ran away with it while we were busy just watching and caught flat footed.

Wasn’t just a once of incident either which was frustrating. Happened at least 4-5 times that I can remember with a few resulting in easy goals. Burton, Boak and SPP were all guilty of this.

Just another sign that we just weren’t mentally switched on and focused. It’s the basics that we don’t do half the time. Play the ball until the whistle.

Anyone else notice that for some reason last night any time the ball went near the boundary line, our players just totally switched off.

Numerous occasions it went near the boundary and we just came to a stand still. Meanwhile, the ball remained in play and the Giants just ran away with it while we were busy just watching and caught flat footed.

Wasn’t just a once of incident either which was frustrating. Happened at least 4-5 times that I can remember with a few resulting in easy goals. Burton, Boak and SPP were all guilty of this.

Just another sign that we just weren’t mentally switched on and focused. It’s the basics that we don’t do half the time. Play the ball until the whistle.
Rozee side by side with Green in the first and stops, letting Green run off and snap a goal.

Expat I’ve been waiting for you to become one of us it seems 2 finals wins in 9 years is your threshold…

View attachment 1805924
Haha "one of us". Nah, I said at the beginning of the year that I was willing to give Hinkley clear air until the finals series. The right thing for him to do now is resign but he wont because he obviously has the self belief which is normal for people who put their hand up to be coach. Not many resign (Hartwig knew he had another gig).

The one thing I'm not going to do is get on to the sack Hinkley thread and post adnauseum with personal digs on what he drinks, where he sits, who he hugged, and whether he smiled at the wrong time. He just needs to go - unfortunately nothing I write here will make that happen.

Notice Zac Butters copping a lot of flack for his action in being pissed off at the GWS water girl not moving while he was taking a shot at goals. A bit of sanity has prevailed from someone who actually knows the rules.

Runners are instructed to move themselves and any obstacles from the path of a footballer needing space to take a set shot - this woman did nothing and the umpire failed to direct her to do so. As harsh as it looked, Zac was totally in the right to get her stuff out of the friggin way.

Great post
Cahill had a great gift for instilling confidence in players, he convinced average players like fiacchi & Delaney that they were champions and they played accordingly.

Yet we have dumbass telling a group of our players that they have nothing more to offer.
Got to point out Roger Delaney was not an average player I would back his kicking against 99% of the current AFL list. He was also drafted to a VFL side

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back