Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'll get blasted for this, but at what point do we appropriate the blame on the players? Far too many passengers, and our heavy reliance on Butters and Rozee was never winning us a flag.

We were going ok in the first, but for a 15min patch in the second we lost the game.

Then in the last quarter, we put ourselves in a position to come back - loads of opportunities but couldn't finish them. Then they get blokes like Riccardi finishing difficult shots from the pocket. Their defence held up so well when we put on an onslaught.

Such a frustrating game and season - I have no doubt we will be back next season with upgrades to our deficiencies. We were never winning a flag with the defence.

This is exactly how we won our flag in 04, multiple frustrating finals campaigns and straight set exits etc etc I've seen this movie before.
Of course blame is placed on the players, but they don't pick themselves and ultimately they're responsible for executing the coaches vision. Were they doing that during the 13 game streak? Were they doing that since then? How many 'generations' of players have or haven't been executing that plan? Ken's responsibility as coach is something akin to that quote about a$$holes...

"If you run into an a$$hole in the morning, you ran into an a$$hole. If you run into a$$holes all day, you're the a$$hole."

That's also because premierships aren't easy to win - plenty of other clubs that have turned over coach after coach after coach for decades with no success as well.

Is far too simplistic to think changing the coach wins you a flag. I'd be flogging off a few assistants before Hinkley.

I just don't think our squad is good enough to win a flag right now, regardless of who is the coach. Both teams that beat us had better players. You can say that's also Hinkleys fault, but really it's the list manager as well. Where are our key defenders? Why is our ruck situation so dire? That's what's costing us games. Hinkley is the easy target, he shares some responsibility but it's not his job.
They're particularly hard to win when you back in a dud coach who time and time again proves that he isn't a good enough coach and instills a loser attitude into the players.

That's also because premierships aren't easy to win - plenty of other clubs that have turned over coach after coach after coach for decades with no success as well.

Is far too simplistic to think changing the coach wins you a flag. I'd be flogging off a few assistants before Hinkley.

I just don't think our squad is good enough to win a flag right now, regardless of who is the coach. Both teams that beat us had better players. You can say that's also Hinkleys fault, but really it's the list manager as well. Where are our key defenders? Why is our ruck situation so dire? That's what's costing us games. Hinkley is the easy target, he shares some responsibility but it's not his job.
This may be true but why have we not had a good enough team to win finals for year on year on year?

^ was addressed by myself and other posters in 2015. Manic effort wears you down when the oppo via good coaching

flip it around to team mates positioned effectively. Sure they are loaded with high draft pics but they are also

very well coached. With the passion sucked out of me I found their style of play really easy on the eye.

I'm glad they won (yep come at me) we weren't going any further than next week AND i wanted Koch Ken & Richo

to be exposed as the frauds they are. No money from me next year, i'm not giving anymore to donut's bank account.

Just looking at him on the interchange bench doing nothing makes me sick.
I hope GWS win the flag, organized, consistent style of play, great sense of synergy in every line & coached by a no excuses, tough former Port man.

Kingsley is a massive missed opportunity for us & a godsend for them after a stale coach.. who would've thought eh

The Football Department needs a total clean-out from Davies down.
Also think we need to gut the list. There are atleast 6-8 players on that team last night that should not be playing and we have terrible depth. Next year we should bottom out and get some draft talent. It will be a far better strategy than topping up with these B Grade "Missing Pieces".

Also think we need to gut the list. There are atleast 6-8 players on that team last night that should not be playing and we have terrible depth. Next year we should bottom out and get some draft talent. It will be a far better strategy than topping up with these B Grade "Missing Pieces".
x 2:thumbsu:

The failure could be attributed to the players ... of course, they're the ones out there

but the one constant since 2014 has been Ken Hinkley. We lose in the same way, despite having new assistants, new players, new off field staff, new everything.

and not just one cycle.

We've done this like three times now.

The Gray, Boak, Westhoff era
The Wines, Wingard, Dixon era
Now the Rozee, Butters, Marshall era

Each with new recruits coming in and excuses mixed with promises

The problem is so blindingly obviously the head coach it's scary that people can't see it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A poorly run club from top to bottom. SANFL, AFL, and I guess our AFLW team won’t play finals for years. A big Fake club.
Way too early to make this call on the AFLW team

Had a far better pre-season this year before getting two of the best teams in the AFL in rounds 1 and 2. Lauren Arnell is in her second season and has a bunch of second year players up against 26-30 year olds.

Wait for Young, Brooksby and Goody to come online before making any judgement

That was North Melbournes strategy.

Not Collingwoods or GWS

No point in gutting the list if the replacements are going to be Hinkleyfied for two years.

We have to wait til we can see him off then bring in blokes to be developed in a proper culture.

Got home pretty upset & after a bit of sleep I had calmed down only to get riled up by meeting a fellow supporter in my morning walk.
Hinkley has to go due to his horrific finals record & also he is not a nice person - a complete fraud
I remember Port giving a club champion the axe due to his inability to get us into a GF. Actually I agreed when Russell was sacked and replaced by Jack - it showed some guts by the administration. As an aside, my great aunt refused to go Port bingo as she loved Russell so much
Hinkley for some unknown reason has been able to keep his job even though he is a complete fraud
Once again it was boys against men
Rant now finished as ranting is a health hazard

Last edited:
I know I'll get blasted for this, but at what point do we appropriate the blame on the players? Far too many passengers, and our heavy reliance on Butters and Rozee was never winning us a flag.

We were going ok in the first, but for a 15min patch in the second we lost the game.

Then in the last quarter, we put ourselves in a position to come back - loads of opportunities but couldn't finish them. Then they get blokes like Riccardi finishing difficult shots from the pocket. Their defence held up so well when we put on an onslaught.

Such a frustrating game and season - I have no doubt we will be back next season with upgrades to our deficiencies. We were never winning a flag with the defence.

This is exactly how we won our flag in 04, multiple frustrating finals campaigns and straight set exits etc etc I've seen this movie before.
Are you one of those that blame the players for losing and blaming Ken when they win?

If Ken can't build a team to go further he shouldn't be coaching anymore, if he can't prepare the players mentally and physically then he shouldn't be coaching.

Hinkley can only coach in the normal season, he can't coach finals footy.

Look at Voss with Carlton, MaCrae with Collingwood and Kingsley with GWS. New voice, new standards, new gameplan, no playing favourites and less mediocrity.

Did Mark Williams constantly pump up the oppositions tyres? I honestly think Ken has developed such a loser mentality/mindset where he constantly talks about how good the opposition is and fails to give his team confidence or a belief that they are better than them.

If you watch press conferences from Craig Mcrae or other multiple premiership coaches such as Chris Scott, Hardwick, Clarkson, Bomber Thompson. They never talk about the opposition being better than them. They support their players and defend them against the media with the intention of giving them confidence.

Ken is scared to credit individual performances, he plays down expectations, he carries on about how good the opposition was and how hard the competition is, it is a LOSER mentality. The loser mentality is probably due to the fact that he was always apart of losing grand final squads. He expects to lose because hes never actually been a winner in his career.

I'm very big on manifestation and positive thinking and I feel that alot of the language that comes from Kens mouth negatively manifests bad results and bad energy among the group. The best things he did as a coach was in 2013-14 saying that we never give up, which resulted in a team mentality that literally never gave up until the final siren. Then in 2020 he came out in the preseason and said that we wanted to win the whole comp, which resulted in us finishing top and 5 points from a Grand Final, in all his unsuccessful years hes pumped up the opposition and had a loser mentality.

Its gotten to the point where I can tell we are going to lose from his Friday press conferences, Kens negative energy is contagious and the players probably have a similar mindset where they expect to lose because they are constantly reminded that the AFL competition is very hard and their opposition is better than them. Ken needs to step down, hes had his chances. Time to go

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is it - too many players let us down, and there's no depth to be able to drop them either (with the exception of McEntee vs Evans), nobody in the SANFL was bashing down the door.. Barely knocking on the door.

We've also had to play injured players all season for this reason. McKenzie, Lycett, Hayes, Dixon have all played obviously injured. It all takes a toll

^ was addressed by myself and other posters in 2015. Manic effort wears you down when the oppo via good coaching

flip it around to team mates positioned effectively. Sure they are loaded with high draft pics but they are also

very well coached. With the passion sucked out of me I found their style of play really easy on the eye.

I'm glad they won (yep come at me) we weren't going any further than next week AND i wanted Koch Ken & Richo

to be exposed as the frauds they are. No money from me next year, i'm not giving anymore to donut's bank account.

Just looking at him on the interchange bench doing nothing makes me sick.
I reckon you are old enough ;) to remember when Jack Oatey (with all due respect to the late Ron Barassi) changed the game when he was coach of Sturt in the mid 1960's with attacking handball and precision kicking.

Maggie's teams back then with their force the ball forward at all costs and pressure tackling could regularly match and sometimes defeat the local blue baggers in minor round games, but we fell over the line in 1965 and then couldn't over come their overall skill and game style in the 1966, 67 and 68 gf's.

Re changing the game, the local blue baggers kicked Carlton off the Adelaide oval in 1967 when Barassi was playing coach, and he didn't change his coaching style until the 2nd half of the 1970 VFL grand final against collingwood.

Are you one of those that blame the players for losing and blaming Ken when they win?

If Ken can't build a team to go further he shouldn't be coaching anymore, if he can't prepare the players mentally and physically then he shouldn't be coaching.

Hinkley can only coach in the normal season, he can't coach finals footy.

Look at Voss with Carlton, MaCrae with Collingwood and Kingsley with GWS. New voice, new standards, new gameplan, no playing favourites and less mediocrity.
No, I credit the players when they win and pot them when they lose.

The coach provides a gameplan and tools on how to win - the rest of up to the players. We had opportunities to win, but didn't take them. For me, that's on the players.

Yes, goalkicking is partly Kens responsibility, but he can't kick it for them. He's also not the skills coach. I'm well aware of Schulz offer, but we are already paying someone to do this job, and it would undermine them. We need an internal review, and whoever is responsible for our goal kicking needs to go. This is the nuance between the easy target of Ken vs a more micro view on the individual components in the coaching team etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back