Remove this Banner Ad

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
"PRIZED West Coast draftee Brad Sheppard has made an impressive start with the Eagles, storming into calculations as a front-line on-baller.

Sheppard, 18, has been elevated to West Coast's prime centre-square rotation troop after some stunning summer training since joining the Eagles late last November.

His imposing pace off the mark, clever ball-gathering and deft foot disposal has impressed his new teammates and coaching staff."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/yo...s-starting-claim/story-e6frg1wu-1225822913092

Why do I picture Sheppard becoming a Bernie Vince clone? Is it the looks..the way he plays??

I don't want to see Sheppard in the centre square, I'd prefer him to be a winger or a HBF.

Atm, Sheppard doesn't carry enough bulk to be a CSP (centre square player). Plus, we already have young players ahead of him for the roles in the CS.
Sheppard will get smashed amongst the bigger bodies. Why subject him to that kind of physicality when he's not ready for it.

if he plays a majority of the season in the centre square.
beating the likes of kerr, swift, ebert, masten, selwood, selwood, priddis etc for a position, then this kid will be a phenomenon.

cant see it happening this year though

I think it could be a Bernie Vince esque move to get him in the center square, he is still skinny but that didn't really stop Masten or Swift impressing in the their first 10 games.

I didn't really participate much in the draft discussions last year (too busy) although I do think I made one good call back in September:

I rate his sharks team mate Brad Sheppard much higher. Lucas will be a long term AFL player no doubt, just doesn't seem to have much hurt factor to his kicks - could be better once he gets into the system & puts some weight on.

Sheppard looks to have a stronger build, better pace, cleaner hands & is a more reliable kick on the run.

I don't want to see Sheppard in the centre square, I'd prefer him to be a winger or a HBF.

Atm, Sheppard doesn't carry enough bulk to be a CSP (centre square player). Plus, we already have young players ahead of him for the roles in the CS.
Sheppard will get smashed amongst the bigger bodies. Why subject him to that kind of physicality when he's not ready for it.

At the moment he's developing away from the HBF into a centre. That's a good thing because it means we can play him on the HBF/ Wing and then in bursts through the middle. The more players who can play in the midfield rotation is a good thing.

If true then it shortens his odds for the Rising Star.:thumbsu:

At the moment he's developing away from the HBF into a centre. That's a good thing because it means we can play him on the HBF/ Wing and then in bursts through the middle. The more players who can play in the midfield rotation is a good thing.

If true then it shortens his odds for the Rising Star.:thumbsu:

If Sheppard plays WAFL games, I think it's a good idea to give him a run through the middle there. At WCE practice, that too is fine.
But to give him game time in the middle in his first year, while physically undeveloped for the role, would deny one of Masten, Ebert, Shuey, Swift or man child Stevens. They're all ahead of Sheppard, they're more natural midfielders, and more along the physical development path.
With those 5, plus Kerr and Priddis, is enough to rotate through the midfield.
I'm aware others played in the midfield in their 1st year, but currently we have no pressing need for Sheppard to be a centre square player.
I don't see the need for most to have to be trained to play in the middle. Isn't it enough to be a medium defender/winger?

Sheppard from what I know has better foot skills than the 5 aforementioned. He too has some decent toe. Being not as physically mature, I'd have thought that an outside role, like Rosa's, would've been a good starting point for him. This way he can utilize the assets he has, while not copping as much physical punishment by opposition bigger bodies.
At a later point in time, perhaps after a year in the gym, then he can be given time in the centre square if he must.

I see Sheppard like LeCras in that if he must play in the midfield, I'd prefer to see him on a wing in an outside role.
If Schmiff plays on a HBF, Butler plays in the BP, Sheppard goes to a wing. That's what I'd like to see.
It's top notch outside players WC lack. Rosa, Houlihan and Dalziell are decent enough, but they won't take a game apart. Their foot skills are average to shit.
WC don't draft outside types with high picks, hence why we're stuck with B and C grade runners. If Sheppard were to be another Embley on a wing, he could be a match winner in an area where WC are ordinary.

If Sheppard plays most games this year, I too think he'll figure quite well in the rising star.

correct me if im wrong, but wasnt sheppherd a CHB? good to hear another gummie tearing up the track :thumbsu:

Sharks may be the scum of the earth, but damn they do produce good footballers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks tess, I am sure Woosh & the coaching staff are reading and have just learned something .....

I have no doubt we will soon get a post going on about inside and outside mids etc etc ...

If he is good enough, in all aspects, then play him - by your standards, Judd wasnt ready in year 1, nor was Kerr - both skinny and both not physically ready - how did that work out?

At this stage, as I understand it, he is part of the midfield rotation which is inevitably (in pre-season) about 12 to 15 deep. I am sure that Sheppard will only play if the coaches see it as in the teams best interests .....

Thanks tess, I am sure Woosh & the coaching staff are reading and have just learned something .....

I have no doubt we will soon get a post going on about inside and outside mids etc etc ...

If he is good enough, in all aspects, then play him - by your standards, Judd wasnt ready in year 1, nor was Kerr - both skinny and both not physically ready - how did that work out?

At this stage, as I understand it, he is part of the midfield rotation which is inevitably (in pre-season) about 12 to 15 deep. I am sure that Sheppard will only play if the coaches see it as in the teams best interests .....

Your welcome Eagle, I'm sure Woosh and the coaching staff have learnt that I have an opinion. That's what BF's for, right.

At the time Judd and Kerr came on board, the WC midfield was shite. There was a need to fast track them.
At present, as I've alluded to, there's no need for Sheppard to be apart of that rotation. I've already stated my reasons.
Of course he's going to play if it's in the team's best interest, that goes without saying.

I'm really glad that Sheppard is turning out to be a mid and not another HBF.

What we really needed out of the 2009 draft as a mid who could kick and I'm pumped that we got one.

Having said that, this article is your typical January stuff. I'll believe that Sheppard is in our starting centre square when I see it... In fact Burns even alludes to him not starting round 1 in the best 22, so lets not go overboard.

If Sheppard plays WAFL games, I think it's a good idea to give him a run through the middle there. At WCE practice, that too is fine.

Sheppard will develop as he develops. So it's up too him to prove he can play in these positions at every level.

But to give him game time in the middle in his first year, while physically undeveloped for the role, would deny one of Masten, Ebert, Shuey, Swift or man child Stevens. They're all ahead of Sheppard, they're more natural midfielders, and more along the physical development path.
With those 5, plus Kerr and Priddis, is enough to rotate through the midfield.

No way will Ebert, Stevens and Priddis all be rotated through the middle at the same time, let alone with Shuey, Masten and Swift. I feel we will try to get Kerr out of the Square quite a bit in 2010 and i hope we can prolong his career by a near permenant move outside the square. At least Sheppard will provide something different if and when he is moved into the square.

I'm aware others played in the midfield in their 1st year, but currently we have no pressing need for Sheppard to be a centre square player.
I don't see the need for most to have to be trained to play in the middle. Isn't it enough to be a medium defender/winger?

Well if he is capable of running through the centre of 10 minutes in the second half then he will be an asset.

Sheppard from what I know has better foot skills than the 5 aforementioned. He too has some decent toe. Being not as physically mature, I'd have thought that an outside role, like Rosa's, would've been a good starting point for him. This way he can utilize the assets he has, while not copping as much physical punishment by opposition bigger bodies.

Either way it's important we dont shoe box any player and strunt there development, if the coaching staff feel he is ready for some game time in the middle then im sure they will test him out there, especially someone who over the last 2 years has improved as much if not more than any other junior in the country.

At a later point in time, perhaps after a year in the gym, then he can be given time in the centre square if he must.

If he must? irrelivent of where he plays most of his career centre square experience will improve him as a player.

I see Sheppard like LeCras in that if he must play in the midfield, I'd prefer to see him on a wing in an outside role.

If Schmiff plays on a HBF, Butler plays in the BP, Sheppard goes to a wing. That's what I'd like to see.
It's top notch outside players WC lack. Rosa, Houlihan and Dalziell are decent enough, but they won't take a game apart. Their foot skills are average to shit.

The concept of a wingman is pretty much void in the modern era, they are just extra midfielders who simply start outside the square. So while he might play on the wing he has the characteristics of becoming a centre.

WC don't draft outside types with high picks, hence why we're stuck with B and C grade runners. If Sheppard were to be another Embley on a wing, he could be a match winner in an area where WC are ordinary.

If Sheppard plays most games this year, I too think he'll figure quite well in the rising star.

We usually draft strong contested footballers, i dont see anything suggesting he is going to be a hard ball winning mid. Rather the oposite, currently it's his speed, skill, poise and quick thinking that has been used will in the midfield simulations where he is effective at getting the ball cleared away from a contest, Currently he is too narrow through the hips but he still needs exposure to the centre square it's a matter of how much and when.

Sheppard will be managed like every other draftee we get.

Your welcome Eagle, I'm sure Woosh and the coaching staff have learnt that I have an opinion. That's what BF's for, right.

At the time Judd and Kerr came on board, the WC midfield was shite. There was a need to fast track them.
At present, as I've alluded to, there's no need for Sheppard to be apart of that rotation. I've already stated my reasons.
Of course he's going to play if it's in the team's best interest, that goes without saying.

The WC midfield is pretty ordinary now. We have some kids who have shown promise and one gun who hasnt played more than half a season since 2007.

The point remains, that if he is good enough he will play... which you agree with in the last line.

Sheppard has improved at an incredible rate in only a couple of years. As was demonstrated by Judd & by Kerr, talent trumps physical "readiness". If he has the talent and has shown the coaches something, then he is a chance and vaguely held notions of "protecting" him are flawed.

There is no way he would have the fitness base to play four quarters in the midfield every week. But i don't think that is what is being suggested. I would say the plan would be more like giving him a quarter or two in there each game to give him a taste of it. And i have no problem with that at all. Obviously if he does get knocked around and gets sore you can take him out and give him a week off or in a different position to let him heal. But if he is good enough at this stage of his development to warrant being at the top of the list of young players to get some game time in there then that ia positive and we should give him a go.

A lot of people on here are making big assumptions about the kid based on in my opinion very limited facts. I will wait to some preseason action before I pass judgement on what this kid can or can't do.

Sheppard is a very good player, but I am glad we finally have a genuine A grade replacement for Cuz in the looks department. I'm a straight male but thought we needed another hunk after Cuz left. Agree????;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Eagle Brad Sheppard stakes midfield claim

Remove this Banner Ad

Back