Your basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat the last 3 seasons out with injuries (broken foot, broken ankle, torn hamstring)

12 days until I make my long awaited comeback. Not looking forward to playing Div 1 after barely running for a year and a half.

url

Well me and 7 mates got a team together in a league down at a rec centre a little while ago, and got one of the parents too coach us. Season started a couple weeks ago and we're 1-1. I'm an SG and sometimes I get thrown into PG, which I'm not too fond of. Fair to say I'm the best 3pt shooter in our team.

me and 5 mates got together and got our team together, couldnt win a game our first season and then in one game on the fast break i tackled some guy down and dislocated my shoulder and have since done it 4 times and had a shoulder reco, which has ****ed my cricket career over!
and in our 2nd season lost 2 games on our way to the winning the grandy!
safe to say losing my skills helped our team!

^^ why you tackling ppl?

and done it another 4 times?

are you talking about basketball or footy??

i like to think i tried to steal the ball but everyone who saw it claims i tried to tackle the guy, and the other times were whilst getting a put back and once getting blocked whilst the ball was in my hand, good times!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PLayed 3 seasons at Golden Grove Rec center on Tuesday nights, last of them about 2 years ago now though, Finished last in the first season so got some more talented mates out and made the pre lim the next season, Recruited my Cousins partner to play who was 6'11 and went un defeated claiming the GF by about 35 points, with our 6'11 juggernaut counting about 17 blocks in the GF, miss those days

About time I checked into this thread.

I played basketball as a teenager, stopped when I was about 18 and started working full time. I hadn't played since.

This year (I turned 28 on Monday), I joined a mixed basketball team with people from work when they asked me, and i've been having a ball. Even though it's mixed basketball, the level of play is better than I was expecting, and the rules of our competition keep it interesting. (Stuff like guys blocking a girls shot in the paint is automatic goaltending).

When I joined, I basically went in thinking that i'll use a season of mixed basketball as a warm-up to getting back into a proper competition. I'm glad I did, because when I started again, I was suuuuuper rusty. I struggled to hit free-throws, let alone decent jumpshots.

We're upto about week 6 or 7 now, and i'm getting back in rhythm.

Last night, even though it wasn't my best game since returning (something like 3-12 shooting), I hit what was my most satisfying shot of the season - a long 3 pointer from the top of the arc with a hand in my face as time expired in the first half.

Last week, I got a double-double (10 points, 10 boards) - we don't actually keep the stats, but I keep a running tally in my head for my own satisfaction, and just trying to track how i'm going as I get back into playing.

Anyways, just wanted to check in to the thread on a quiet thursday morning at work.

I got fouled out once for my school team.
I was so new to the game that the ref sent me off and the coach was calling my off and I had no idea what was happening. I had no idea you could be fouled out :/ (This was 07 season at school)

I only hit fire once, it was at training a week we had the bye, I was hitting everything.

1 game our 2nd best player (our PG) got the ball out to me and I was wide open, I got in the shooting motion and mid motion our best player (our SF) called out "no", I stopped shooting, landed, and got called for a travel.

I got fouled out once for my school team.
I was so new to the game that the ref sent me off and the coach was calling my off and I had no idea what was happening. I had no idea you could be fouled out :/ (This was 07 season at school)

I only hit fire once, it was at training a week we had the bye, I was hitting everything.

1 game our 2nd best player (our PG) got the ball out to me and I was wide open, I got in the shooting motion and mid motion our best player (our SF) called out "no", I stopped shooting, landed, and got called for a travel.
You play for Lakers and Kobe's a SF?

So I played my first ever game last night. Have no experience in basketball. To give you guys an idea of how hopeless I am I've probably only had about 100 shots in my life.

Shot 0/1 - which was a massive air ball from an open three pointer. And got fouled out with 7 minutes to go.

My defensive game saved me a little bit. Probably got about 4 or 5 rebounds and 2 or 3 blocks.

Basketball looks a lot easier on TV, haha.

I had a 5 year break and me and some friends put a team together last year. We did well finishing second. Doing it again this year.
I have decided I really need to improve my dribbling I'm 6ft 90kgs and pretty quick but my left hand dribble is very average. dribbling nearly every day so I'm not sure how much improvement I will see in a month but heres hoping.

I'm still awesome 63% of the time. I used to be awesome 93% of the time so it's a slippery slope. But at near 40 my speed is diminishing.

Rather than being a fast-break guard these days I've become a flat out dime dishing PG maestro.

Pretty much demolished my ankle 4 months ago. Managed to get back just in time to play a final but had absolutely 0 lateral movement and could only run in straight lines. The other team just kept driving at me when they figured that out, and they had a defender glued to me since I shot 40 odd on them last time we played (admittedly they only had 4 players then, but I like to gloss over that part of the story most of the time). Managed to do decently on offence at least with only a handful of shots, only to take two threes in the last minute in a half and proceed to airball both of them and lose by 4 :oops:

Screwed my ankle up even more for the effort too haha.

Not playing at all atm which is doing my head in. First time I haven't played for months on end since I was 7 or 8 o_O

Just found this thread. Peaked ridiculously early in basketball. Have a brother that was 3yrs older than me, and I like to think anything he can do, I can do better. So when he was learning to play the game at age 6, I was there every step of the way @ age 3. Three years later, and I'm finally allowed to play my first game. Cue primary school dominance :) Lack of height, speed (not slow but not quick) and a non-existent vertical leap have eventually caught up to me. Did sneak in 3years of rep when I was younger as I was as money from deep as a 9-11yr old is ever going to be. Plus I got mad cross-over skills brah.

Anyway, these days (I'm 20) I just play with mates in 2 separate teams. About 2-3 times a season I heat up and relive the glory days. Interesting record my PB remains 6 trey's, all in preliminary finals. Two winning, 1 losing.

But anyway, like I said, casual these days. Well, sorta casual. Our Monday night team couldn't give a shit, we lost our first 6 games by 30+ (This is D grade as well mind you) because no-one else in the team is any good, and no-one cares, we just run stupid plays etc.. Cue us recruiting a dominant big guy who is a mate of ours and going on a 5 game winning streak haha. We are marginally more serious, but still run our stupid plays and all that.

Anyway, a couple weeks back, we're up by 20 on this team, 6mins left. We've been mucking around a bit, and they're pissed - 2 unsportsmanlike fouls already in the game. So we run one of our plays - someone gets the ball ridiculously deep, about halfway between the 3pt line and the halfway line, the other four come up and set screens around the guy in a box whilst he throws up a prayer. Has worked once, needless to say it was a 45-60sec celebration FIFA11 style.

But on this occasion an opponent had had enough and elbowed one of our screeners in the back, knocking him down. Our big guy has had enough, and steps in "What was that?" "Can't be doing that shit" etc.. Their guy is not backing down either - brave but silly move on his part, he's giving up a foot and 20kg's at least. Anyway, there guy has a swing at ours, doesn't connect but very close. Our big guy has almost lost it by this stage, and its taking every player from each team to hold their respective players back. After about a minute, they're starting to concede, although still having a go at each other.

And then...

Their one guy runs off the bench, sprints at our big guy and headbutts him in the back of the head. Well, thats it, our guys lost it now, and we get out of his way. Cue all in for the next 6mins. We have an actual support base, so we ridiculously outnumbered them, but punches were being thrown everywhere. Being 172cm and 73kgs my involvement was limited to pushing people trying to separate them, but to no avail.

Anyway, long story short, biggest fight I've seen on a sporting field, footy included. Had our tribunal hearing last week, we were reported as a team, they were reported as a team, and two of their guys were reported individually.

We as a team got 10 weeks, they got 15. The headbutter got 4yrs down to 12 months for a guilty plea (Make sense of that). We would've got less except the moron player that represented us pleaded not guilty to "fighting" o_O

Worst part about it is part of the ruling says that none of our players can play for any other teams either. So basically for standing there watching a fight involving my Monday night team, I'm now suspended from my Thursday night team for 10 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back