Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory, and happy to be corrected, even when we get beaten in the midfield it's a quality issue for our entries forward, not a quantity issue. Our forwards are then so inept at making a contest from a pressured ball hacked forward that no pressure is applied to the exit and our mids then struggle to regain possession or apply pressure themselves between the arcs. Which makes it very difficult for our defensive group. Our forward line as a group is a downhill skiier.
By stats last year we apparently struggled in F50 ground ball differential (50-50 ground balls) I'd love to see a similar stat on how we contest aerially on 50-50 balls too

We were able to force turnovers in our half
as well as any team and convert them to goals so our mids pressure was very good as was Charlie's , Betts and Mcgoverns ( and occasionally Tex ) . This is where our forwards get their easy goals - when we force turnovers across middle of ground as opposition defenders are caught out and we punish them

I'm going to say James Stewart but Himmelberg will be a bit more aggressive and eventually stronger

Both have good mobility and skill for their size
That comparison is an insult to Himmelberg ............polar opposites

I'm interested in the timeline for someone like Himmelberg. When does he get introduced. What SANFL role is best for him to develop in
For mine Elliot is one of the most exciting players on our list. 198cm - Turns 20 in June and kicked 18 goals in his first 13 SANFL games before some injury last year.

A lot of his junior football was played in defence where he was creative and very intelligent with use by hand as well as foot. High footy IQ. Very good contested mark. For me he projects as a J Daniher type, tall but agile/mobile KPF.

Hopefully we see a sneak peak of him in JLT this year, then we also hope for a solid, injury fee season in the SANFL.

I would continue to run him as a KPF, no sense in him rucking v men - I think he has a higher value than that. Jeff said 2 years earlier, that's prob about right although I'd love to see him push up in 2019.

For mine Elliot is one of the most exciting players on our list. 198cm - Turns 20 in June and kicked 18 goals in his first 13 SANFL games before some injury last year.

A lot of his junior football was played in defence where he was creative and very intelligent with use by hand as well as foot. High footy IQ. Very good contested mark. For me he projects as a J Daniher type, tall but agile/mobile KPF.

Hopefully we see a sneak peak of him in JLT this year, then we also hope for a solid, injury fee season in the SANFL.

I would continue to run him as a KPF, no sense in him rucking v men - I think he has a higher value than that. Jeff said 2 years earlier, that's prob about right although I'd love to see him push up in 2019.
Could still be growing too . His brother grew up until 21

2019 he can start to do some 2nd ruck work as well , could push for a game then but will come into his own in 2020

I think he's the best player we took in the 2016 draft

Brown Hartigan Kelly
Milera Tallia Laird
Seed B Crouch Gibbs
Atkins Walker Lynch
McLovin Jenkins Betts
Jacobs Sloane M Crouch

Int..Doedee Douglas Hampton Gibson

Plenty of depth with Knight,Greenwood,Otten, Cheney,Keath,Gallucci,McKay,CEY, all with AFL 1st team experience...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baring anymore injuries and hoping that Tex makes it back here is my Rd 1 side

FB Kelly, Talia, Doedee
HB Laird, Hartigan, Milera
C Gibson, Gibbs, Sloane
HF Lynch, Tex, Hampton
FF Betts, JJ, Gov
R Sauce, Crouch Inc
Int: Fogerty, Greenwood, Douglas, Atkins

I think that Doedee will slot in nicely for Lever, won't be at the same level off of the bat but will come on quickly.
I think that Hampton fits nicely into the Cameron role, might not have the same jets as CC but also may burn the ball a little less.
I think that Gibson is Mackay+ both hard runners and great trainers by all accounts but Gibson has been eating his musashi bars more regularly.
I think that Fogerty will play a bit this year and Knights injury has opened the door for Rd1. Although could be Poholke instead early on.
I think that Keath will replace Otten as the prefered swingman, younger, more agile can play both ends as well.
I think that Gallucci needs a bit of work.

I would like to see us pump games into Gallucci, Poholke, CEY, Fog, Knight this year. I think that we'll need to blood a few guys for September insurance.

Donkey's Much anticipated POST ANSETT CUP GAME 1 SIDE
The changes are relevant to the side posted above.
Green is Promotion
Red is demotion
Orange is depth players with no movement
Black is gold pass

FB Kelly, Talia, Doedee
C Atkins, Gibbs, Sloane
HF Lynch, Tex, Murphy
FF Betts, JJ, Gov
R Sauce, Crouch Inc
Int: Fogerty, Greenwood, Douglas, Hampton
In Murphy
Out Gibson

NAB CUP GAME 1 Depth Player Power Movements
UP - Murphy - Came out like a big bodied mid. Reminded me of Porpus and Nutta's debuts where they just looked ready. I looked at him and thought he would of been handy in the GF. Get him in for Rd 1.
UP - Fogerty - Possibly some positive confirmation bias going on here. The mark and goal in the 3rd by Misty had me misty-eyed. Legs like tree trunks and a physical presence from the get go. Get him in for Rd 1.
UP - Dear - Continued on some good AFLX form (Yeah, yeah it's rubbish I know) The Elk is competitive, agile, strong should be the replacement when JJ goes down next with some soft injury. Hopefully has cut Otten out of the rotation.
UP - Atkins - I like this version, less pants soiling. Hopefully this is his year. His skills are great and when he mostly gets in trouble its because he's trying too much on. Hopefully he gets the balance right this year and becomes what we need him to be.
UP - Doedee - I like what I saw today. He's not where Lever left off but with game time I think that he will be soon.

DOWN - Mackay - I have wanted David to become "The Man" for a few years, but it's just not gonna happen. Looked like a rookie more than Misty and Murphy today. We can't win the flag with him
DOWN - Gibson - They say better to keep your mouth closed and have people think that you are an idiot rather than open it and prove them right. Gibbo would of been better staying at home today. Was out done by a lot of rookies today.
DOWN - Seedsman - I don't really remember him doing much wrong, but I don't really remember him doing much right either. Not good enough for a bloke who won the ANZAC medal.
DOWN - Jenkins - Seemed to pull his finger out a bit today but was out done by younger hungrier types. I wan't the Jenkins back who didn't know if he would be in the team the next week. Seriously go back and watch his first 10 games, he can do it. Seems to have Matthew Richardson like contract negotiation seasons.
DOWN - Hampton - Now or never Curtly, that half forward/mid spot is up for grabs. Grab it. Needs to finish those goals needs to be in it more. Murphy blew by him today.

is murphy a genuine shot for rd1 and to hold a spot?

1st id seen him today and showed some great things. Cameron spot up for grabs and with Knight missing early thats 2 spots open from the GF side in the right role for him. Gallucci having injury to miss this game also helps his case

SO those who know him better whats a realistic potential for him. Not rd 1 likely? Good chance rd1 but likely place holder for short time? Good chance to feature for a while?

Murphy leading the pack now as small forward #2.

Knight and Gallucci need to get fit and in form to put pressure on; Hampton needs to use the ball well and quit panicking.

Hopefully today sees a bolded line through Otten for the year.

FF: Betts McGovern Jenkins
CHF: Lynch Walker Murphy
C: Atkins Gibbs Sloane
CHB: Brown Hartigan Doedee
FB: Laird Talia Kelly

1st R: Jacobs B.Crouch M.Crouch

Res: Greenwood Milera Douglas Seedsman

FF: Davis Dear Keath
CHF: Jarman Himmelburg Fogarty
C: Mackay CEY Hampton
CHB: McPherson Otten Wilson
FB: Cheney Hunter Signorello

1st R: Obrien Poholke Gallucci

Res: Edwards Gibson Knight

Smith

Donkey's Much anticipated POST ANSETT CUP GAME 1 SIDE
The changes are relevant to the side posted above.
Green is Promotion
Red is demotion
Orange is depth players with no movement
Black is gold pass

FB Kelly, Talia, Doedee
C Atkins, Gibbs, Sloane
HF Lynch, Tex, Murphy
FF Betts, JJ, Gov
R Sauce, Crouch Inc
Int: Fogerty, Greenwood, Douglas, Hampton
In Murphy
Out Gibson

NAB CUP GAME 1 Depth Player Power Movements
UP - Murphy - Came out like a big bodied mid. Reminded me of Porpus and Nutta's debuts where they just looked ready. I looked at him and thought he would of been handy in the GF. Get him in for Rd 1.
UP - Fogerty - Possibly some positive confirmation bias going on here. The mark and goal in the 3rd by Misty had me misty-eyed. Legs like tree trunks and a physical presence from the get go. Get him in for Rd 1.
UP - Dear - Continued on some good AFLX form (Yeah, yeah it's rubbish I know) The Elk is competitive, agile, strong should be the replacement when JJ goes down next with some soft injury. Hopefully has cut Otten out of the rotation.
UP - Atkins - I like this version, less pants soiling. Hopefully this is his year. His skills are great and when he mostly gets in trouble its because he's trying too much on. Hopefully he gets the balance right this year and becomes what we need him to be.
UP - Doedee - I like what I saw today. He's not where Lever left off but with game time I think that he will be soon.

DOWN - Mackay - I have wanted David to become "The Man" for a few years, but it's just not gonna happen. Looked like a rookie more than Misty and Murphy today. We can't win the flag with him
DOWN - Gibson - They say better to keep your mouth closed and have people think that you are an idiot rather than open it and prove them right. Gibbo would of been better staying at home today. Was out done by a lot of rookies today.
DOWN - Seedsman - I don't really remember him doing much wrong, but I don't really remember him doing much right either. Not good enough for a bloke who won the ANZAC medal.
DOWN - Jenkins - Seemed to pull his finger out a bit today but was out done by younger hungrier types. I wan't the Jenkins back who didn't know if he would be in the team the next week. Seriously go back and watch his first 10 games, he can do it. Seems to have Matthew Richardson like contract negotiation seasons.
DOWN - Hampton - Now or never Curtly, that half forward/mid spot is up for grabs. Grab it. Needs to finish those goals needs to be in it more. Murphy blew by him today.
Nice side, but Fogerty won't be playing round 1.

Swap for Brown who will play & you are around the mark.

Team for round 1 barring injuries other than smith:
Brown Hartigan Keath/Doedee/Kelly
Laird Talia Douglas
Atkins Sloane Gibbs
Lynch Walker Knight
Betts McGovern Murphy/Dear/Jenkins

Jacobs Mcrouch B Crouch

Greenwood Keath/Doedee/Kelly
Mackay Seedsman

Last edited:
Team for round 1 barring injuries other than smith:
Brown Hartigan Keath/Doedee/Kelly
Laird Talia Douglas
Atkins Sloane Gibbs
Lynch Walker Knight
Betts McGovern Murphy/Dear/Jenkins

Jacobs Mcrouch B Crouch

Greenwood Keath/Doedee/Kelly
Mackay Seedsman

A few each way bets there?

My round 1 side:

B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Laird - Hartigan - Doedee
C: Sloane - B Crouch - Atkins
HF: Murphy - Keath* - Lynch
F: Betts - McGovern - Dear*
R: Jacobs - M Crouch - Gibbs
Int: Douglas, Milera*, Seedsman*, Greenwood*

Prediction for actual round 1 side:

B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Laird - Hartigan - Doedee
C: Sloane - B Crouch - Atkins
HF: Murphy - Walker - Lynch
F: Betts - McGovern - Jenkins
R: Jacobs - M Crouch - Gibbs
Int: Douglas, Mackay, Gibson, Hampton

Notes:

I have Keath in for Walker. I don’t like the idea of playing an underdone Tex in Round 1. Give him a couple of extra weeks of recovery / getting up to game speed and he’ll be better for it by Round 3.

Dear in for Jenkins. Enough is enough with Jerka for me. He’s nearly 30 and the softness and inability to perform in finals is not going to change now. Bring in the pack crasher and see what happens I say - I’m sure Eddie will appreciate this. Absolutely no chance of happening in reality. *sigh
EDIT: Once Walker is fully fit, I’d drop Dear for him, but retain Keath in the Fwd line permanently over Jenkins

I like the silky skills of Milera and Seedsman a touch more than the predictable vanilla provided by Mackay and the “run-with role coupled with horrendous skills” provided by Gibson.

I also like Greenwood significantly more than Hampton, but I would happily select Curtly in this last spot if Hugh is underdone.

Seems hard to believe, but I can’t really imagine a scenario in which Murphy isn’t selected in Rd 1 now that Knight has gone down. Gallucci was probably the guy who I expected to step in here a couple of months back, but it seems like Murphy has clearly leapfrogged him and may have the more suitable skillset for this particular role.

Gallucci and Cheney are the only other two realistically in the mix for Rd 1 besides the 27 players I’ve listed above. Knight and Smith are obviously unavailable. Fogarty’s chance will come later in the season. Himmelberg and McPherson might also come into calculations in the second half of the season too.

Otten won’t play another game for the club unless we have injuries to multiple talls. CEY is a break glass in case of emergency mid who will be delisted at the end of 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back