Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

You do but some players have naturally poor endurance that can't be improved much others can once they tone up and train etc. The club would need to assess which one they think hayes is. It's also possible to be say a viable small forward with poor to average endurance but it's really hard to be a ruck or KPF with poor to average endurance the way the game is played now.
Suggests you haven't seen him play that much, which is understandable- I have only seen Eastern games.
He plays every game.
Combine tests are a minimal indicator- Cerra has done nil. Drafters already know who they want well before the combines.

Suggests you haven't seen him play that much, which is understandable- I have only seen Eastern games.
He plays every game.
Combine tests are a minimal indicator- Cerra has done nil. Drafters already know who they want well before the combines.

Was he (Hayes) injured when he tested at the combine as far as you know?

Reading up on Toby Wooller is impressive, big on endurance strong overhead can play big mid or med/tall forward.
B+F at Oakleigh ahead of Higgins by a fair margin. Goalkicker and accumulator.
Would not be disappointed if selected
Ran a 6:32 2km TT, great agility as well for a guy 193cm/90kg. That's top shelf.

Last edited:
Was he (Hayes) injured when he tested at the combine as far as you know?
I wouldn't know that, but watched the games up to finals and he was fine.
You seem to read a lot into the combine?
Bartel did poorly there.
The true talent identifiers have seen what they need to.
Guys like D Clarke jnr and his brother were awesome at these equivalent tests, but that does not relate necessarily to future longevity.
That would be more relevant for an 18yo beanpole super -talented ruckman.

Smith is actually a very good endurance athlete what he has had to learn is football nous not athleticism.

Fwiw i do think hayes is draftable i just think there are some factors we need to consider, grundy was a safer pick but given where we are at hayes may be worth the risk if there.
We are not in the race for him.
He is a really good footballer.
The endurance comes with maturity etc.
Look at Christian Petracca- absolute jet of a player at TAC level- will take some time to get that endurance and overcome the ACL. BUT will be well worth the wait.

Reading up on Toby Wooller is impressive, big on endurance strong overhead can play big mid or med/tall forward.
Ran a 6:32 2km TT, great agility as well for a guy 193cm. That's top shelf.
Couldn't agree more. Looks the value pick at 35 or 58; but think he'll be gone by Pick 45 I'd say.

Seriously overlooked this guy and his back half season, bloody big unit mid and forward.
Third goalkicker in the TAC and a 20 plus accumulator. They reckon he runs up to 13kms a game.
Very impressive.
Yeah, very big work rate. Tbh, something we really need, a leadup CHF. Was also Oakleigh BnF winner this season, beating Higgins. He is 193cm, same as Riewoldt. He might still grow to 194-195.

Yeah, very big work rate. Tbh, something we really need, a leadup CHF. Was also Oakleigh BnF winner this season, beating Higgins. He is 193cm, same as Riewoldt. He might still grow to 194-195.

Yeah was thinking the same, Wooller's very mobile and certainly no "one trick pony".
Turns games with his versitility midfield and forward. He's also a proven goal kicker.
He's cracked 193cm and l think he hasn't finished yet, but already 90kg is a big plus for us imo.

Yeah was thinking the same, Wooller's very mobile and certainly no "one trick pony".
Turns games with his versitility midfield and forward. He's also a proven goal kicker.
He's cracked 193cm and l think he hasn't finished yet, but already 90kg is a big plus for us imo.
Yeah, they reckon he will be outside Top 40, I thought maybe he lacks pace, but apparently he has good acceleration.

Yeah, they reckon he will be outside Top 40, I thought maybe he lacks pace, but apparently he has good acceleration.

Reading match reports seems he loves to run, and thrives on the running elements of training.
He must considering his 193/90 doing a 6:32 2km.
With Higgins and Richards as competition he had no issues winning that B+F by the length of the straight.
IMO he's a likely candidate.

Reading match reports seems he loves to run, and thrives on the running elements of training.
He must considering his 193/90 doing a 6:32 2km.
With Higgins and Richards as competition he had no issues winning that B+F by the length of the straight.
IMO he's a likely candidate.
Yep, hope so. Looks a perfect fit for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't know that, but watched the games up to finals and he was fine.
You seem to read a lot into the combine?
Bartel did poorly there.
The true talent identifiers have seen what they need to.
Guys like D Clarke jnr and his brother were awesome at these equivalent tests, but that does not relate necessarily to future longevity.
That would be more relevant for an 18yo beanpole super -talented ruckman.

Do combines just test athletic ability?
If so, that is no real indication that someone who tests well in all the athletic tests can actually play AFL.
I can remember the days when is was said that young Bartel, Ling and Kelly were too slow for AFL.
All are triple premiership players. One a premiership captain and one a Brownlow and Norm Smith medalist.

Do combines just test athletic ability?
If so, that is no real indication that someone who tests well in all the athletic tests can actually play AFL.
I can remember the days when is was said that young Bartel, Ling and Kelly were too slow for AFL.
All are triple premiership players. One a premiership captain and one a Brownlow and Norm Smith medalist.
Exactly my point.

He plays every game.

Id sort agree with this for players who are going to be drafted.. it does make one wonder where the advantage is for players who know they will go top 20-30. Post that.. I think the Combine results , national and state are important ..they mean the difference between being picked or not. Certainly in this day and age .. I see little value in letting Father Sons go the the Combine. Id be asking Oscar next year to be very conservative if he has any fitness issue..any at all.... say a blister on his thumb or a scratch on elbow.. would demand immediate attention and a probable withdrawal from any sort of tests that could increase his value. As you say they already have a fair idea on their worth but no use just adding sauce to the Turkey.

Did Hayes play as a top in any VFL games.. I know Dow played for our VFL side. You are rightly saying his game capabilities are more important than hardwood floors and track times.. The Schache debate over the U18 non flood rule make me wonder how he will cope with AFL backlines.. and rucking against big afl bodies. My concern would be if he cant motor around a track now...how will he be once he puts some Kgs on.

As I have said..id take him if he was there at 22 but I could say that about 15 players ..its why I find the prediction thread particularly difficult this year. What would be interesting is a post draft assessment on who you would have drafted with the players available. Even a Geelong Board Phantom draft would be very interesting this year..I honestly think there are 15-20 players that could be shuffled right in our pick range

Ran a 6:32 2km TT, great agility as well for a guy 193cm/90kg. That's top shelf.

Yet some deride him? Seems to fit needs , is versatile and if we took him at 35..happy days no problem here.

Id sort agree with this for players who are going to be drafted.. it does make one wonder where the advantage is for players who know they will go top 20-30. Post that.. I think the Combine results , national and state are important ..they mean the difference between being picked or not. Certainly in this day and age .. I see little value in letting Father Sons go the the Combine. Id be asking Oscar next year to be very conservative if he has any fitness issue..any at all.... say a blister on his thumb or a scratch on elbow.. would demand immediate attention and a probable withdrawal from any sort of tests that could increase his value. As you say they already have a fair idea on their worth but no use just adding sauce to the Turkey.

Did Hayes play as a top in any VFL games.. I know Dow played for our VFL side. You are rightly saying his game capabilities are more important than hardwood floors and track times.. The Schache debate over the U18 non flood rule make me wonder how he will cope with AFL backlines.. and rucking against big afl bodies. My concern would be if he cant motor around a track now...how will he be once he puts some Kgs on.

As I have said..id take him if he was there at 22 but I could say that about 15 players ..its why I find the prediction thread particularly difficult this year. What would be interesting is a post draft assessment on who you would have drafted with the players available. Even a Geelong Board Phantom draft would be very interesting this year..I honestly think there are 15-20 players that could be shuffled right in our pick range
History does suggest HAYES will drop; so he might go 20. Would we be interested in him? During the year, he was a standout player, but maybe what you and PO have said will happen, and we are in a position.
I would have zero qualms about him being a Cat as our first pick. But maybe the days of beanpole dominant rucks are numbered.
Would not know about Hayes at VFL. Would be Box Hill if he did.

Look at Christian Petracca- absolute jet of a player at TAC level- will take some time to get that endurance and overcome the ACL. BUT will be well worth the wait.

I honestly think we may well be .. but if he goes top 10 I bow to your better judgment. As I posted earlier earlier in the year id have thought we would be no chance of getting Hayes and Garner.. be a good couple of your boys to add. Would you know if Garner is a strong leader type .. we certainly need to add probably future leaders

I honestly think we may well be .. but if he goes top 10 I bow to your better judgment. As I posted earlier earlier in the year id have thought we would be no chance of getting Hayes and Garner.. be a good couple of your boys to add. Would you know if Garner is a strong leader type .. we certainly need to add probably future leaders
Not sure about that.
I would argue that in my time of following Geelong- and I'm over 60- Harley is the #1 leader we have had across the board.
Goggin a close #2.
Players grow into that level of respect - worthy authority.
Some like Selwood are naturals, but he does have some imperfections that slightly dilute his standing, imho.
Garner is a natural, but who knows if he grows with that. He is likened to Luke Hodge, AND we all know how great he was/is as a leader, albeit a little flawed.
I have turned btw Turbo- I am now agreeing Hayes might end up in sync with history and drop to 20.

History does suggest HAYES will drop; so he might go 20. Would we be interested in him? During the year, he was a standout player, but maybe what you and PO have said will happen, and we are in a position.
I would have zero qualms about him being a Cat as our first pick. But maybe the days of beanpole dominant rucks are numbered.
Would not know about Hayes at VFL. Would be Box Hill if he did.

As I said.. at 22 .for me, thats a lot different than picking him at 2 or 9 or even 12. To a certain degree some drafted kids are like buying something on Laybuy. You draft them and put them away.. and the draft critics and media will continue to deride our lack of youth then ..2 to 3 years later... Hey where did this kid come from etc. I suspect Gardner could be exactly like this..no credit till he starts playing afl.

I think styles change and its all quite reactionary to what works this year. And why did it work..because the pendulum of balance has swung and suddenly a venerability has been exposed. The last two years have seen smaller forward lines work ..but what will this mean..more clubs will move towards smaller forwardlines... and backlines then becomes smaller to compensate... and then at some stage a club with a couple of taller players will again have a missmatch advantage.... so id not obsessed with the immediate focus on smalls.. a talented 204cm player will always have the ability to affect a game.

With the interchange cap it means most clubs have gone from 2 to 1 1/2 rucks and there is more of an emphasis on talls playing big minutes so a lack of endurance in talls concerns me more than in smalls. Hopefully as you say he can develop it well. I think you will find he will get closer to our pick than you think (richmond at 17 is my guess) clubs tend to be very needs based in choosing kpfs or rucks in round 1 and if most don't need one they can slide a fair way in the draft order.

Couldn't agree more. Looks the value pick at 35 or 58; but think he'll be gone by Pick 45 I'd say.

It will be interesting he is well credentialled but third talls can slide if clubs feel they are a bit short for CHF, Battle was u18 AA and slid to 39 last year. Would be interesting to see if we take Wooller with one of our second rounders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back