Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know how Wooller played through the U18 Champs?

I can only see that he kicked 1 goal in the WA vs VM game, but was not in the Best.

He is not mentioned in any other VM games; Was he exposed at that grade level? Was he injured? Or not selected for other VM games?

I can only see that he kicked 1 goal in the WA vs VM game, but was not in the Best.

He is not mentioned in any other VM games; Was he exposed at that grade level? Was he injured? Or not selected for other VM games?
He is not that great. I would take him but only very late

imo , Sutherland cost him his spot...and then he decided to go to Cricket. Maybe it can work for us with less exposed form. Played in 2 games according to the article below.

His size of 193 and 90 Kg is not what Id say is a man child but id agree he is probably at the height and weight where he had it over a few other kids.. To me if he is willing to run the k's at his shape its promising for afl once he gets in a professional system. Would be a good add at 35 for us.... and it would be a nice family link. A defacto Fs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...l/news-story/153c7dea7d91703e3e5853d4e52325ff

AFL draft: Toby Wooller looks to follow in grandfather’s footsteps to the elite level.

HIS grandfather was a goalkicking great and Oakleigh Chargers forward Toby Wooller may well be following suit in his journey to the elite level.

The 18-year-old’s grandfather Fred Wooller, 78, finished with 225 goals for Geelong in a 132-game VFL career that saw him captain the Cats to their 1963 premiership.

Like his grandfather, Toby — listed as 193cm and 90kg — is also a dangerous forward.

He finished second on the TAC Cup’s leading goalkickers table with 40 majors, including three bags of four and one five-goal haul.

c06905f6b3082bd2dce1e0d626b76516

Toby Wooller with grandfather Fred Wooller. Picture: David Crosling

“There is a few similar attributes, I guess, (but) probably a better mark than me, better overhead, taller, probably more competitive than me when I was a kid,” Fred said. “The other thing he has probably got over me, which is probably a shame to admit, is he’s probably got a bigger tank than I did and seems to enjoy training and building up his stamina.

“I was probably a bit limited in some ways.”

But it’s not just their goalkicking traits they have in common.

Toby may well also join his grandfather as a premiership captain by season’s end with the Chargers finishing on top of the TAC Cup. Would Fred like to see his grandson wear Geelong’s hoops? “If that, by some slim chance happened, it would be pretty satisfying,” he said. “If you had a perfect choice you would say, ‘yes’, but if he got drafted you would say he has done well because there are a lot of good kids that play junior footy.”

New Zealand-born Toby has seen a successful Geelong era — he was at each of the grand final wins in 2007, 2009 and 2011 and recalls having a kick around Kardinia Park as a kid wanting to play for the Cats.

“Obviously with family ties it would be extra special,” Toby said.

“Like Grandpa said, you just want to get an opportunity anywhere but it would be special to follow in the footsteps of Grandpa.”

There is also the occasional story from Fred about his footballing days and that September afternoon in 1963 when Geelong kicked six final-quarter goals to defeat Hawthorn by 49 points and claim the Cats’ sixth flag.

That was also day coach Bob Davis allowed TV personality Happy Hammond to play his piano accordion in the rooms before the game, following Fred out onto the ground and through the banner in front of 101,209 fans.
a925636a09c43fca0dd45be0a54a5ae5

Toby Wooller shrugs a tackle for Vic Metro earlier this year. Picture: Getty Images

“When you think back it was a strange thing to do,” Fred, who finished with three goals, recalled.

Toby is one of Oakleigh’s top draft prospects this year, also adding another dimension to his game with some time through the midfield.

The Camberwell Sharks junior’s best game for the year may have come in Round 11 against Gippsland Power when he kicked five goals from 25 disposals and finished with 12 marks.

7bd10b9a75d35dfec79f913f972f2171

Toby Wooller celebrates a goal for Oakleigh Chargers. Picture: Getty Images
“Toby, from our point-of-view, has been close to our best performed player over the course of the year,” Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Craig Notman said.

“He really is a workhorse — his GPS data certainly shows that.

“Playing as a key forward his numbers stack up as well, if not better, than guys playing predominantly midfield roles. “It is not uncommon for him to be hitting the 12 or 13km mark over the course of the game.”

Toby also cracked two games in the Under-18 National Championships as part of Vic Metro’s successful carnival, receiving an invite to October’s draft combine.

“There was probably a lull (in form) in the middle of the year with the champs but I think my Oakleigh form has been really consistent,” Toby said.

cc0481d2b9f39a9883217b870b5b5e64

Fred Wooller snaps a goal for Geelong in the 1963 grand final.
Fred has just returned from a winter escape to Mooloolaba on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast but has taken a keen interest in Toby’s progress through the junior ranks and into the TAC Cup.

“He is extremely competitive, he reads the game and he really knows where his teammates are most the time,” Fred said.

“It is just a matter of how he is viewed by the clubs, whether they’re looking for that type of player.

“He has a lot of key attributes that will probably bring his name to attention.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...l/news-story/153c7dea7d91703e3e5853d4e52325ff

Last edited:
His height for a start. Man child. Doesnt seem to be mobile enough to be a shorter tall.

Its not that i dont like him. Its more that he should be a late pick if not rookie

You may have seen more of him than me .. but when I watched he did play like a Hawkins type which was a baby hewy type situation.. he leadup to the ball ..when he played around the ball maybe then he was the big body ?

You may have seen more of him than me .. but when I watched he did play like a Hawkins type which was a baby hewy type situation.. he leadup to the ball ..when he played around the ball maybe then he was the big body ?
He is never going to be a midfielder at AFL and his chance at making it as a key forward are low due to his height and he has ok speed but not enough to cause issues.

If he makes it, it will be as a smaller lead up forward who provides the link between the defebce and attack.. even then.. most of the better lead up forwards are partly midfielders -Okeefe, lynch and even duncan in his draft year.

I'm happy to take him but only late in the draft. He is a much better player than mccartin at the moment but mccartin does have some very developable traits as well. The hit rates are very low with key forwards late anyway.

Much easier to find small backman, ruckman, key backman and small fwds later in the draft

Garner has good athleticism and an elite kick
Will probably play his best footy as an outside midfielder/half back.
A tremendous leader on and off the pitch too as he captained the Vic Metro Side
Reckon he may fall to #22 and we should definitely take him.

Matt Ling for me will be another Jordan Murdoch. He drifts in and out of games too often and will need time in the gym. I don't see the hype in him IMO. Lachlan Fogarty, although he has a great character & is a good guy (which the club likes aka GHS) is a party animal. My cousin has gone clubbing with him multiple times as they are graduating from the same school together. Lachlan obviously still wants to have a regular late teens party life but he can't allow this to impact his footy in any way.

As for #24 and #35 - It has to be Gryan Miers and Toby Wooller. Both fills big needs for our club and both are good enough for the big time.

I'd consider Worpel at #58 maybe. Reckon he will continue to slide. Seems unlikely but we all remember Jonty Scharenberg and Sam Walker from last year who were nailed as late second rounders and weren't chosen by anyone in the ND/Rookie Drafts. Worpel is a contested beast but his kick does let him down. He does love to break away from packs though which is good.

As for mature agers. Tom Atkins I would love. I think he could seriously make it in Afl. Tackling machine, good disposal and an eye for Goal. Stuff Hayball as a rookie, this guy is much better.

He is never going to be a midfielder at AFL and his chance at making it as a key forward are low due to his height and he has ok speed but not enough to cause issues.

If he makes it, it will be as a smaller lead up forward who provides the link between the defebce and attack.. even then.. most of the better lead up forwards are partly midfielders -Okeefe, lynch and even duncan in his draft year.

I'm happy to take him but only late in the draft. He is a much better player than mccartin at the moment but mccartin does have some very developable traits as well. The hit rates are very low with key forwards late anyway.

Much easier to find small backman, ruckman, key backman and small fwds later in the draft

Enjoy your work. I like informative opinions and your are usually good and worth reading..

Id like more info before I was definitive about not making as a mid .. Ling was a small forward who made it as a mid.. so Id not say never.. , not without seeing his combine data. Any idea on the yoyo and 2K ?

As I said I have only seen small amounts of him and I liked what I saw at that time.. he lead at the ball well..not all players are comfortable doing that, he was good below his knees and had good hands. McCartin is so young he would have more development in him.. but id not complain if we took either with 35 or later. Your point on Key forward later in draft is historically true.. but I wonder if that is heading towards a change. The game at the TAC level is not quite the same , one almost has to look at players with adaptable games even if they did not standout in their year. Our picks are what they are.. and Id certainly like to have a single figure pick but even then I doubt the quality of forward are as quite as good as they will be next year. As usual however we will not get to them if our season goes as planned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes
yes
we won't get him
beware Tigers etc- they have picks before us and will get what they want

All it really takes is a slider though say wb bod on naish 17 is gone and brander slides they take him at 20 then hayes is at 22.

Twomey is saying top 10 for hayes is unlikely now.

All it really takes is a slider though say wb bod on naish 17 is gone and brander slides they take him at 20 then hayes is at 22.

Twomey is saying top 10 for hayes is unlikely now.
19 may have
I'd be thrilled if we got him at 22- is it possible?

Freo apparently keen with one of their top 5 picks. I’d find that surprising as they already have Darcy as a young ruck who’s already shown he can play. I’d love to have a developing player in all key positions. If he slid to us what would they do with Abbott for the year in the vfl? We’ve got Smith, Stanley and Blicavs ahead in th afl side. It’s a lot of height around the same age. I’d much rather have Hayes on the list than Abbott but can we afford to have all of them on the list?
We’ve been a couple of small players short on the list for the last couple of years. This season we had to play some that weren’t physically ready because of this.

I’d be taking a maximium of 1 tall in the draft this year. Basically if someone slides at our pick be they Hayes as a ruck or a key defender. Key forward would be great but we have some developing of equivalent level. Don’t mind Wooller but he’s a little smaller.

Garner has good athleticism and an elite kick
Will probably play his best footy as an outside midfielder/half back.
A tremendous leader on and off the pitch too as he captained the Vic Metro Side
Reckon he may fall to #22 and we should definitely take him.

Matt Ling for me will be another Jordan Murdoch. He drifts in and out of games too often and will need time in the gym. I don't see the hype in him IMO. Lachlan Fogarty, although he has a great character & is a good guy (which the club likes aka GHS) is a party animal. My cousin has gone clubbing with him multiple times as they are graduating from the same school together. Lachlan obviously still wants to have a regular late teens party life but he can't allow this to impact his footy in any way.

As for #24 and #35 - It has to be Gryan Miers and Toby Wooller. Both fills big needs for our club and both are good enough for the big time.

I'd consider Worpel at #58 maybe. Reckon he will continue to slide. Seems unlikely but we all remember Jonty Scharenberg and Sam Walker from last year who were nailed as late second rounders and weren't chosen by anyone in the ND/Rookie Drafts. Worpel is a contested beast but his kick does let him down. He does love to break away from packs though which is good.

As for mature agers. Tom Atkins I would love. I think he could seriously make it in Afl. Tackling machine, good disposal and an eye for Goal. Stuff Hayball as a rookie, this guy is much better.
I’d be very happy if we got Garner, Miers, Wooller and Worpel. And agree on hayball I don’t understand why we’d re rookie him he hasn’t shown anything

I’d be very happy if we got Garner, Miers, Wooller and Worpel. And agree on hayball I don’t understand why we’d re rookie him he hasn’t shown anything

There's obvious signs about Hayball

That he can't play

Wooler can play,.... well ahead of Higgins and Richards for Chargers B+F.
Higgins wins the Morrish, Wooler 6th but beats him for their B+F.
They (Chargers) ought to know!....one would think.
Probably should have been more favoured at state level, his back half of season was stellar.
Also third in TAC goals for season (43) competition was won with only 46.
Wooler was captain of table leading Chargers.
Fantastic runner, probably best in draft considering his size.
After winning minor Premiers they (Chargers) were just beaten in the preliminary final because Wooler was injured. Probably cost them the flag.
No manchild advantages, played the biggest and best in the comp and proved vital to Chargers success.
Underrated imo.

Last edited:
Enjoy your work. I like informative opinions and your are usually good and worth reading..

Id like more info before I was definitive about not making as a mid .. Ling was a small forward who made it as a mid.. so Id not say never.. , not without seeing his combine data. Any idea on the yoyo and 2K ?

As I said I have only seen small amounts of him and I liked what I saw at that time.. he lead at the ball well..not all players are comfortable doing that, he was good below his knees and had good hands. McCartin is so young he would have more development in him.. but id not complain if we took either with 35 or later. Your point on Key forward later in draft is historically true.. but I wonder if that is heading towards a change. The game at the TAC level is not quite the same , one almost has to look at players with adaptable games even if they did not standout in their year. Our picks are what they are.. and Id certainly like to have a single figure pick but even then I doubt the quality of forward are as quite as good as they will be next year. As usual however we will not get to them if our season goes as planned.
The change has been that most of the talls taken late that have some success have been late to the game or from other sports. Examples tippett, lobb, goldstein, jenkins. I think thats what we have tried to emulate with rat and buzza and have tried to find someone with a point of difference to increase the likelyhood of making it.

We already have these 2 players as projects which why i would prefer our next forward drafted to be a high pick and much more of a sure thing.

19 may have
I'd be thrilled if we got him at 22- is it possible?

I think it's possible yes there are always sliders and bolters so it's hard to predict the order this far out for example it looks like Murphy and Richards are bolting up which will push two other players down. There is also some uncertain factors this year because the AFL changed the zoning rules to put Brander (GWS academy) and Spargo in the open draft so we don't know if GWS will still pick Brander at #11, if they don't it probably pushes him down to Richmond at #17 (I expect they would take him there) and we don't know where Naish and Ballenden will be bid (it wouldn't surprise me if Richmond and Brisbane did a 'deal' over not bidding on the other's player). But I am pretty confident Hayes won't go in the top 10 this Freo at 5 thing is a complete red herring, Freo will have to take about 6-7 picks between 40 and 80 to fill a min list of 38 and late picks are where you take project rucks ideally they won't risk a top 10 on one. The only tall I see them remotely considering at 5 is Naughton who has played well for their vfl team but I still expect they will take mids at #2 and #5 as they have flagged. No other top 10 club likely for Hayes IMO. Whether he gets to 22 depends on whether clubs see him more as a key forward (that type clubs often take early) or a ruck, my point was that clubs don't like using high picks on rucks unless they are going to be able to play AFL footy early on and it's clear with his slender build and lower endurance Hayes will need a couple of years in the VFL before he plays so if clubs see him as mainly a ruck that will see him slide. I agree Richmond is the main danger, if they had no picks before 22 I would be very confident he gets to 22, but he still may, all it takes is a couple of sliders to change the order.

Ok a couple of guys I don't mind, that will be in range with our selections...

Kelly - Motlop replacement, inside/outside midfielder.

S Taylor - KPD

Miers - Small Fwd/Mid

Clavarino - KPD

Ling - Outside Mid/Defender

The more I think about it, I think Wellsy really wanted to draft Dalhaus late and missed him; and I think he won't make the same mistake with Miers.

I really rate Houlahan - has nice pace, excellent weight on his kicks for goal and passing, and can take a very good mark. Looks like a natural footballer with some nice tricks.

Kicked 20 goals from 11 matches in SANFL reserves for a 17yo, not bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back