Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Do combines just test athletic ability?
If so, that is no real indication that someone who tests well in all the athletic tests can actually play AFL.
I can remember the days when is was said that young Bartel, Ling and Kelly were too slow for AFL.
All are triple premiership players. One a premiership captain and one a Brownlow and Norm Smith medalist.

The more important part of the combine is how well the players interview with prospective clubs but the testing, particularly. Ryan is a good example dominated wafl last year but tested awfully for endurance and no club took him, Brad Hill in 2011 was playing colts and a long shot pre combine but then smashed all the endurance and athletic tests and then went top 35.

Not sure about that.
I would argue that in my time of following Geelong- and I'm over 60- Harley is the #1 leader we have had across the board.
Goggin a close #2.
Players grow into that level of respect - worthy authority.
Some like Selwood are naturals, but he does have some imperfections that slightly dilute his standing, imho.
Garner is a natural, but who knows if he grows with that. He is likened to Luke Hodge, AND we all know how great he was/is as a leader, albeit a little flawed.
I have turned btw Turbo- I am now agreeing Hayes might end up in sync with history and drop to 20.

I have no doubt its probably an affront to your loyalties ..but if he does get to 22 what a win it would be for us (if we picked him)

On Garner leadership... I remember reading about his leadership at school.. photo of him with the Black Red and Yellow flag on his shoulders... ( didn't know he went to StJoeys). Was Hodge a natural leader? I heard an interview with Hodge the other day on SEN.. He talked about his relationship with Mitchell and how he grew as player and leader butting heads with him about standards etc. .. so you probably have a point , maybe the best leaders are ones that grow into it. He made a comment that related Mitchell but also Selwood ..in that sometimes its a little their way/Highway etc. So leadership is not just a strong obstinate personality.. its knowing when to bend and when to be rigid. My guess would be that there was plenty of give under Harley but there was a line.. and the players under him had to respect his role. ..and of course every Elizabeth needs a Walsingham... would Harley been as good without the backing of Scarlett? I doubt it.

Last edited:
With the interchange cap it means most clubs have gone from 2 to 1 1/2 rucks and there is more of an emphasis on talls playing big minutes so a lack of endurance in talls concerns me more than in smalls. Hopefully as you say he can develop it well. I think you will find he will get closer to our pick than you think (richmond at 17 is my guess) clubs tend to be very needs based in choosing kpfs or rucks in round 1 and if most don't need one they can slide a fair way in the draft order.

I think Vdubs agrees he may slip.. and if we wanted him it would be hand f someone bid on the Rich FS before 20.

Thats an interesting way to look at it. Any idea..how many K's Smith would do in a game? My guess is it would be far less..between cutting corners and resting forward Id doubt he gets anywhere near Duncans numbers.

I have no doubt its probably an affront to you loyalties ..but if he does get to 22 what a win it would be for us (if we picked him)

On Garner leadership... I remember reading about his leadership at school.. photo of him with the Black Red and Yellow flag on his shoulders... ( didn't know he went to StJoeys). Was Hodge a natural leader? I heard an interview with Hodge the other day on SEN.. He talked about his relationship with Mitchell and how he grew as player and leader butting heads with him about standards etc. .. so you probably have a point , maybe the best leaders are ones that grow into it. He made a comment that related Mitchell but also Selwood ..in that sometimes its a little their way/Highway etc. So leadership is not just a strong obstinate personality.. its knowing when to bend and when to be rigid. My guess would be that there was plenty of give under Harley but there was a line.. and the players under him had to respect his role. ..and of course every Elizabeth needs a Walsingham... would Harley been as good without the backing of Scarlett? I doubt it.
Garner was a Scotch College student iirc. Played for Eastern Ranges. You are of course joking about the Joey's uniform- sorry, I jumped.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...e/news-story/f7ff591114ce547e1239541f8c8ec931

I think Vdubs agrees he may slip.. and if we wanted him it would be hand f someone bid on the Rich FS before 20.

Thats an interesting way to look at it. Any idea..how many K's Smith would do in a game? My guess is it would be far less..between cutting corners and resting forward Id doubt he gets anywhere near Duncans numbers.

Its not so much the ks someone like smith covers a lot as he pushes hard forward but some rucks dont but they still need the fitness for lots of repeat contests.

I dont think hayes is a dud but i recognise if he needs time to bulk up his frame and build endurance he won't play AFL a lot in the first 2-3 years and clubs will be worried about putting that time into him and then he gets poached in a trade. Clubs tend to be reluctant to take ruck types early unless they are physically ready to play reasonably early, so i expect him to slide.

I agree richmond is the danger as they are really short on talls, if there is an unexpected slider they like instead or naish is bid before 20 (which will take either 17 or 20 out of play) then hayes probably gets to 22.

Its not so much the ks someone like smith covers a lot as he pushes hard forward but some rucks dont but they still need the fitness for lots of repeat contests.

I dont think hayes is a dud but i recognise if he needs time to bulk up his frame and build endurance he won't play AFL a lot in the first 2-3 years and clubs will be worried about putting that time into him and then he gets poached in a trade. Clubs tend to be reluctant to take ruck types early unless they are physically ready to play reasonably early, so i expect him to slide.

I agree richmond is the danger as they are really short on talls, if there is an unexpected slider they like instead or naish is bid before 20 (which will take either 17 or 20 out of play) then hayes probably gets to 22.
Tigers want Blicavs.

Tigers want Blicavs.

He is not OOC until end 2018 although it wouldn't surprise me if Balme chases our players. Doesn't really affect hayes tbh a tall traded in now is to support their team now whereas one drafted is for 3-4 years when riewoldt is gone. So they probably want both.

Like to see Smiths heat map.

If you didn't get Balta as your P22 would you go Petty (CHB) or go smaller?
O'Brian, Murphy etc.
I like the Falcons pair Parish and Worpel but neither have a great diposal %.
Can get ball though!
I don't mind Petty, he kicks very clean, marks well, ok pace, good height at 195, but there is something about his body frame, he is very narrow in the shoulders - he could turn out to be more like a Mitch Brown. So I prefer Balta over him.

There are other choices for KPDs, its the only position in this draft that is quite strong, and it would be silly not to select one. Clavarino might be available later with pick 35 or 58; Naughton maybe available with 24 or 35, and he probably has the best athleticism, but his kicking action concerns me. Although Naughton may have tested well, Balta seems faster, and if Balta slides, I would use 22 for him. I don't know much about Harry Nolan or Sam Taylor, a few on here have suggested them also.

If Balta is gone with 22, then I'd go best available in the draft for either a Small Forward, a Medium Defender/Midfielder with outside pace, a KPD or a CHF. So it all depends on who is left. If I could break it down by position and prospect it would be something like this, basically who is available at those picks.

KPD:
Balta Pick 22, 24

Outside Midfielder/Defender:
Garner Pick 22, 24
Ling Pick 35, 58
Kelly Pick 58

CHF:
Allen Pick 24, 35, 58.
Wooller or McCartin with Pick 35 or 58.

Medium/Small Forwards:
Houlahan Pick 22, 24, or 35
Higgins Pick 22, 24 or 35.
Miers Pick 24, 35 or 58;
Daniels Pick 58.

Craig "Budda" Byrnes' Geelong draft Preview at the Footy Prophet.

http://footyprophet.com/draft-preview-geelong/
That's an interesting read. Miers is probably the only 1 I would have looked @ previously but Moore was my 1st choice for that role a long while ago, funnily enough he made the AA squad.

I wanted O'Brien from last year but we could do a lot worse than Worpel on the outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in terms of natural forwards in this upcoming draft, Houlahan looks like he has some really good talent. He can fly for marks, and is a very clean kick.

The only thing is, at 185cm, you have to be extremely talented to make it as a marking forward these days, most defenders are taller and have the reach.

I'm not sure what his defensive pressure is like, but if we can't land Miers, Daniels or Higgins; then he would be my next bet.

I just like the natural footballers, this guy has a bit of X-factor.

Not sure why a lot of phantom drafts have us linked with Coleman-Jones, as we have plenty of ruck stocks, in fact we have 4 rucks in their prime age between 26-28yo.

Considering we tried to get Stringer and then Watts, I'm thinking Allen will be on our radar for sure. They will be conscious of his size at 191cm,

We may also bid on Ballenden, but Brisbane will match of course.

If Allen is unavailable with our earlier picks, then we could go for a Houlahan but he is not exactly what we need given his size, so then we will have to chose between McCartin or Wooller. I think we will need to use Pick 24 or 35 for either of those, which is a reach; but I'm not sure both will be available by the time of our Pick 58. Not sure, let's see.

I understand Melbourne are after Miers, so we will need Pick 24 to secure him if we really want him, otherwise he will be gone by Pick 29 or 31; however, he just doesn't look like the type of player that Wells would use an early draft selection.

Not sure why a lot of phantom drafts have us linked with Coleman-Jones, as we have plenty of ruck stocks, in fact we have 4 rucks in their prime age between 26-28yo.

I think because he can play KPF...captained SA and creative. I wouldn't complain if he fell to us..i still expect Ling, Miers and Murphy to be possibles for 22/24.

Interesting read on Hayes but optimistic thinking he'll slide to 22...

I think because he can play KPF...captained SA and creative. I wouldn't complain if he fell to us..i still expect Ling, Miers and Murphy to be possibles for 22/24.

Interesting read on Hayes but optimistic thinking he'll slide to 22...

It would seem it revolves around Richmonds use of 17 and 20 ..but It seems a realistic calculation. By 22 id suspect someone else will pull a Wells and call a name or two expected to go later. Someone always seems to suddenly value a certainly players higher than the general consensus.

He is sliding after his poor combine results according to those in the know. Also none of the top 10 pick sides really need talls other than freo but they have been clear that they are going mids at #2 and #5. So it looks like he will fall outside the top 10. What do you put his poor endurance down to and how easily do you think he can improve it?
There is a team with two top ten picks who is seriously considering him with their second selection. If that doesn't eventuate then he probably does slide. I'm confident he would have been first taken 10-15 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Considering we tried to get Stringer and then Watts, I'm thinking Allen will be on our radar for sure. They will be conscious of his size at 191cm,

We may also bid on Ballenden, but Brisbane will match of course.

If Allen is unavailable with our earlier picks, then we could go for a Houlahan but he is not exactly what we need given his size, so then we will have to chose between McCartin or Wooller. I think we will need to use Pick 24 or 35 for either of those, which is a reach; but I'm not sure both will be available by the time of our Pick 58. Not sure, let's see.

I understand Melbourne are after Miers, so we will need Pick 24 to secure him if we really want him, otherwise he will be gone by Pick 29 or 31; however, he just doesn't look like the type of player that Wells would use an early draft selection.

Bishop who has very good contacts is saying Allen to WCE at 13 (which surprises me). I think we will probably be fortunate in that if naish is bid before 20 then richmond can only take one tall forward in which case one of allen hayes and wooller should get through to 22 (but not all of them).

I think both houlahan and murphy are very high footy IQ wells type players yes neither is a KPF but i can see us picking one.

I don't mind CCJ as a mid range pick (say 35) my issue is do we view him (and the same as hayes) as a ruck who can go forward or a forward who pinch hits in the ruck (ala wright). Because i think we definitely need a tall forward but not so much a ruck while smith stanley blicavs and abbott are young enough (yes i know the last 3 are all OOC next year but i doubt we lose them all).

There is a team with two top ten picks who is seriously considering him with their second selection. If that doesn't eventuate then he probably does slide. I'm confident he would have been first taken 10-15 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That could only be freo as st kilda are stacked for front half talls and rucks and given their aggressive pursuit of mids in trade week they will draft that type. And carlton are pretty invested in kreuzer phillips and casboult as rucks for now and lobbe as backup. Their midfield is very thin i cant see them taking a ruck except via a late pick. Lloyd (freos recruitment boss) has been pretty vocal that picks 2 and 5 will be mids so you would have to believe he is deliberately misleading people to believe they will pick hayes.

I agree with your other bit as no team from picks 9 to 16 is likely to draft a ruck/kpf so if he gets past 8 he probably gets to richmond at 17 and if naish is bid before 17 then he gets at least to 20 and probably to us at 22.

I don't agree that he's the best player in the draft although i do agree he will probably slide further than he should because of needs based picks by teams.

Bishop who has very good contacts is saying Allen to WCE at 13 (which surprises me). I think we will probably be fortunate in that if naish is bid before 20 then richmond can only take one tall forward in which case one of allen hayes and wooller should get through to 22 (but not all of them).

I think both houlahan and murphy are very high footy IQ wells type players yes neither is a KPF but i can see us picking one.

I don't mind CCJ as a mid range pick (say 35) my issue is do we view him (and the same as hayes) as a ruck who can go forward or a forward who pinch hits in the ruck (ala wright). Because i think we definitely need a tall forward but not so much a ruck while smith stanley blicavs and abbott are young enough (yes i know the last 3 are all OOC next year but i doubt we lose them all).

I'm still hesitant on Houlahan. Only had the five disposals in the all stars game. He's high impact per possession, but I'm just concerned he doesn't get enough of it.

That's an interesting read. Miers is probably the only 1 I would have looked @ previously but Moore was my 1st choice for that role a long while ago, funnily enough he made the AA squad.

I wanted O'Brien from last year but we could do a lot worse than Worpel on the outside.

Craig only drops here into BF around draft time of the year but he knows his stuff on the potential draftees.
He will go and watch the kids play and take notes. The best that I can do is watch the local VFL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back