Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so. Might be gone. Also the 3 NT thunder boys makes for a nice narrative for the local rags.

It seems unless there is a twist that there could be a group of about 10 players that are likely to be available to be taken from picks 17 to 25 but the order is unclear. I reckon Taylor, O’Brien, Constable, Bailey, L.Fogarty, Ling, Garner, Stoddart, Balta, Hayes, Houlahan and maybe 2-3 others I can’t think of are around this mark.

How GC, Rich, Bris (and if there’s an early bid for both Naish and Ballenden) will go a long way to determining the players available when our first is up.

Hey guys so I had you guys for the Official Bigfooty Phantom Draft. I tried my best to try and fill your list needs and a lot came down to how highly I rated those players. Im happy to answer any questions relating to the picks and why I took certain players and why I didn't take other players. Im aware you wont be taking some of those later picks its just how the mock draft ended up playing out

Pick 24 - Matthew Ling
Pick 26 - Charlie Ballard
Pick 36 - Toby Wooller
Pick 59 - Will Walker
Pick 72 - Ethan Floyd
Pick 87 - Lachlan Schultz

My profiles on the players and some footage is included in the that thread so have a look when you get the chance.
I like Wooller at 36 and I'm a fan of Ethan Floyd with our last live pick (is that his brother who plays in the VFL side?) but I'd be a little disappointed if we selected Ling with our first. Imo he doesn't have enough qualities to stamp his authority at elite level. Reminds me of Murdoch.

Last edited:

I like Wooller at 36 and I'm a fan of Ethan Floyd with our last live pick (is that his brother who plays in the VFL side?) but I'd be a little disappointed in we selected Ling with our first. Imo he doesn't have enough qualities to stamp his authority at elite level. Reminds me of Murdoch.
Murdoch has so much athletic talent if only he could fulfil that promise. Ling has an outstanding attitude and I feel he would improve massively under an AFL system. Its hard to separate guys like Richards, Stoddart and Ling as those running defenders/wingman what edges Ling for me at this stage was his terrific teamwork and ability to back up other players and pick up their men, sometimes its not all about attacking from defence and trying to show off I liked that he understood what needed to be done for the benefit of the team rather than himself.

Murdoch has so much athletic talent if only he could fulfil that promise. Ling has an outstanding attitude and I feel he would improve massively under an AFL system. Its hard to separate guys like Richards, Stoddart and Ling as those running defenders/wingman what edges Ling for me at this stage was his terrific teamwork and ability to back up other players and pick up their men, sometimes its not all about attacking from defence and trying to show off I liked that he understood what needed to be done for the benefit of the team rather than himself.
We lack players who are good under extreme pressure and I don't see that with Ling. Granted he's an outside player but I just don't see that composure capable of standing up in finals. I'll trust your judgement for now because I take it you watch a hell of a lot more underage football than I do and I'm basing my opinion from limited viewings and could be completely off the mark.

We lack players who are good under extreme pressure and I don't see that with Ling. Granted he's an outside player but I just don't see that composure capable of standing up in finals. I'll trust your judgement for now because I take it you watch a hell of a lot more underage football than I do and I'm basing my opinion from limited viewings and could be completely off the mark.
I haven't noticed much "deer in the headlights" type of stuff for Ling he is rarely tested for composure since he nearly always gets rid of the ball in time, he is near impossible to catch once he gets the ball. Its difficult to say if his style will hold up at the next level but that's for the recruiters to decide and believe me they have far more intel and watch far more games and footage than anyone on bigfooty ever could. Whoever you go for id trust in the recruiting staff more so than me or anyone else on here because they do a shit load of work making sure the get it right.

I haven't noticed much "deer in the headlights" type of stuff for Ling he is rarely tested for composure since he nearly always gets rid of the ball in time, he is near impossible to catch once he gets the ball. Its difficult to say if his style will hold up at the next level but that's for the recruiters to decide and believe me they have far more intel and watch far more games and footage than anyone on bigfooty ever could. Whoever you go for id trust in the recruiting staff more so than me or anyone else on here because they do a shit load of work making sure the get it right.
Wells recruited Murdoch. Just saying. :D;)

What about Stoddardt?
Has improved a lot this season and is highly rated at Eastern.
I am still a Murdoch fan; I think he showed a lot of improvement this season is certain grunt areas, and he actually became a tackling machine. Faded out in finals though. Another big preseason from him is a must

Its hard to define a players capabilities into good under pressure. One measure I like is the ability to sort of make time for one self. Parfitt has done it well. Kelly was excellent at it.. so do we see that in Ling? Not what I have seen but its hard making judgements of limited data. I think OBrien has that attribute but can he do it at a higher level?

Murdoch has been a successful pick... without looking it up ..I doubt there would be a heap of players taken after him in the draft that has played as much as him.
Luke Dahlhaus and Lachie Neale have been more than handy, and that's off the top of my head.

Define 'successful' because from where I sit he's been nothing but underwhelming.

Luke Dahlhaus and Lachie Neale have been more than handy, and that's off the top of my head.

Define 'successful' because from where I sit he's been nothing but underwhelming.
I think he suffers due to the large expectations on him after his intro to AFL. He burst onto the scene game 1 and had speed, grunt, long kicking and we all thought he was the nest big thing. It hasn't transpired like that, but he still has weapons and is a trier.

What about Stoddardt?
Has improved a lot this season and is highly rated at Eastern.
I am still a Murdoch fan; I think he showed a lot of improvement this season is certain grunt areas, and he actually became a tackling machine. Faded out in finals though. Another big preseason from him is a must
Stoddart suffers the same as Ling with not getting a lot of the ball, watched him swing forward against Sandringham in the middle of the year and he looked just as good as he does in defence. All 3 of those left footers have attributes that standout and I don't think you could go wrong picking between them.

For the pick you got Murdoch at he has been pretty good value, I think you take the punt in the draft on guys like Murdoch because of their size and athletic attributes and with a late pick its not the end of the world if they dont come good. Murdoch is a solid depth player and there is nothing wrong with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your reply there but it's still too early to take Ling imo.

Re: your footage of Ballard, seemed to be playing more off 1/2 back than fwd, with a cameo in the mid ;)

Would be happy if either O'Brien or Clark were @ (22)

I like your reply there but it's still too early to take Ling imo.

Re: your footage of Ballard, seemed to be playing more off 1/2 back than fwd, with a cameo in the mid ;)

Would be happy if either O'Brien or Clark were @ (22)
Fair enough from what I've heard he won't last to your pick in the 30s

Ballard played CHF/HF the whole game I watched the whole thing, Houlahan played a ripper that game aswell at FF

No chance for Clark but O'Brien would be perfect

I like Wooller at 36 and I'm a fan of Ethan Floyd with our last live pick (is that his brother who plays in the VFL side?) but I'd be a little disappointed if we selected Ling with our first. Imo he doesn't have enough qualities to stamp his authority at elite level. Reminds me of Murdoch.

People rag on murdoch but he was an end of third rounder in a very compromised draft (gws took the best 17yos out of it plus had a heap of top 15 picks) and he will probably play 100 games. When you get a player of murdoch's level that is generally a good return for a pick like that.

People rag on murdoch but he was an end of third rounder in a very compromised draft (gws took the best 17yos out of it plus had a heap of top 15 picks) and he will probably play 100 games. When you get a player of murdoch's level that is generally a good return for a pick like that.
We rag on him because he's consistently underwhelming, has no vision or composure and is merely a run and kick long type. The pick he was drafted at is irrelevant.

We rag on him because he's consistently underwhelming, has no vision or composure and is merely a run and kick long type. The pick he was drafted at is irrelevant.

It does when people are using it as a criticism of Wells. Look at most of the players around that pick in that year's draft and how they did. It was a good pick by Wells relative to what that pick was worth regardless of Murdoch's limitations.

It does when people are using it as a criticism of Wells. Look at most of the players around that pick in that year's draft and how they did. It was a good pick by Wells relative to what that pick was worth regardless of Murdoch's limitations.
I'm not criticising Wells, I'm simply hoping he doesn't select Ling as I see him as a Murdoch type player. I'd rather O'Brien.

Quite like Garner though he lacks a bit of toe. Bonar won't get to us and Hayes isn't really a need at all.

Key forward is a need. Depends if Hayes is viable though. Agree re the other two.

On Snoop Dogs phantom draft these are the players he picked: Just quickly some of the players who he looked past included O'Brien at 24, Petty at 35 and also Miers who he had going to Swans at 51. I'm so keen for this draft BTW
# 24 Geelong

LACHLAN FOGARTY – WESTERN JETS / MIDFIELDER & SMALL FWD/ 175CM

Had a stellar year this kid and I have really warmed to him as a prospect. Plays midfield at TAC level but I think he will start as a small forward and I think he will excel there. Only a little fella but gee he is tough and he loves the contest and getting his tackles in and applying pressure. Can hurt you offensively because he can take a mark, is really agile, has really nice skills and he makes decisions that hurt opposition teams.

Why / Who else

Cats have a few smaller forward types which is where I see him starting but he has that speed and tackle pressure I think a few of their incumbents lack. I could see him playing very quickly as whilst more a mid at junior level have seen him forward and is v good.

# 26 Geelong

ZAC BAILEY – NORWOOD & NT / MIDFIELDER /180CM

Is a player that has really risen up my ‘Board’ as the year has gone on and one that really impressed in the All Star game where he showed off all his best attributes. Really competitive player who loves being in the thick of it and winning the footy. Once he has got it he uses his elite speed to explode out of a stoppage and break the game open. He makes really good decisions and can release team mates into space or he will hold onto it deliver it to advantage further afield. When he get to AFL level and gets some size about him you wouldn’t want him having it 25-30 times in a game because he will hurt you. Reminds a little of a young Shane Crawford. Could play as a small forward early in his career as well.

Why / Who else

I think a quick mid is in need at the Cattery and he is a terrific one. Ling would be close to and Garner appeals as a player the Cats would like.

# 36 Geelong

NATHAN KRUEGER – SOUTH ADELAIDE / TALL FORWARD & UTILITY / 194cm

Another player who have enjoyed watching albeit havent seen as much as would like to. Had some really eye catching moments though through champs where he displayed great aerial ability, good hands, speed and ball use. I think he is probably going to end up as Jack Gunston like player but he needs to be in the game a bit more because he has a lot of talent. Terrific athlete and still looks a bit raw with a lot of upside.

Why / Who else

Could go Wooller but Krueger has a bit more on him athletically and I think that gets him ahead. Just as easily go a key defender but think they may look later. Ross might be a chance as well.

# 57 Geelong

OSCAR CLAVARINO– DANDENONG STINGRAYS / KEY DEFENDER / 196CM

Key defender who had a terrific game at Champs at Punt Road where he demonstrated all the things that draw you to him as a prospect. It was a game that put him on the map because his best is very good. Great size, good endurance, reads the play well which helps overcomes his lack of speed and hence he closes space reasonably well and is a really nice mark. I don’t mind his kicking but it probably needs to be cleaned up a bit and at times he can make some decisions that have you nervous. Having said that he likes to take the game on and you can’t penalise him too much for that as a club development system will work that out and bridge that gap between best and worst. Could be a terrific get this late in the draft. Isnt overly quick and hence has dropped back a bit in my rankings.

Dahlhaus was a rookie promotion so no...but Neale is one for sure. To be fair plenty picked earlier played zero games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back