your favorite football season

Remove this Banner Ad

i_love_boys

Senior List
Aug 3, 2004
Other Teams
HAWKS
ive been into the footy since 97 and my favorite football season would have to be 1998. considering jeff farmers goal of the year, the amazing marks that took place. winston abraham's screamer. that final round 22 game between dogs and roos that was an absolute thriller for top spot.

that season had everything and encapsulated everything great about football as a game. i go for the hawks and they were horrible for the most part of the year (dunstalls bags in the earlier games were probably the best thing about it, and a few of the earlier games when we hit the front by miles and always dropped off and lost the games in a heartstopper.)

when that season ended i was so pumped for next season. i remember i counted down the days till the first ansett cup game in 1999.

I would have to say 1994 - West Coast Eagles Premiers

The first year of the final 8.

The best finals series by far.

7th Melb def 2nd Carl
WCE def Coll by 2 points.
Cats def Roos by 6 points (Ablett goal after siren)
Cats def Dogs by 4 points (Brownless goal after siren)
Cats def Blues (at Waverley with half their side out)
Melb def Dogs (Garry Lyon kicks 10)

and of course.....WEST COAST EAGLES def GEELONG by 80 points in the GRAND FINAL!!!

Super year of football.

wow cuzz09, that does sound like an amazing finals series. i have only seen highlights of it but it does sound amazing.

bOmBeR_BoY1 said:
As a Bomber fan, I will go out on a limb here and say 2000...

93 for me. Some absoulte ripper games in a close season. The great comeback in the prelim topped off a week later when we pumped the old foe to win the flag was magic.

i_love_boys said:
wow cuzz09, that does sound like an amazing finals series. i have only seen highlights of it but it does sound amazing.

Obviously I am biased but I cant remember a better finals series.

There is rarely 4 or 5 close games out of the 9 possible finals.

Normally there is 1 close final in the first week

Second week the to top 4 losers bounce back comfortably

Thrid week there is 1 close Prelim and 1 floggin.(barr 2004)

Grand Final is more often than not one sided after a close 2 and a half quarters.

for me 2000 because i am an essendon supporter. i would say that this season would be my most hated, not because of how bad we have been but there has been no hits, bumps or any tuff stuff.

marcuz said:
93 for me. Some absoulte ripper games in a close season. The great comeback in the prelim topped off a week later when we pumped the old foe to win the flag was magic.

Me too.

2000 was amazing but we had to win so i felt more relief than excitement at the end of it all.

'93 and '99 were my fave home and away. Mercs was gods gift to football in '99. Pity it didn't end too well.

1988-89 Nobody could beat us, we were always going to go back to back. Too strong too powerful, too ********ing good.

Not one team ever would come near us.

2000 for me. I remember the build up to the Grand final, plenty of excitement, everyone hoping we might pull off a miracle despite the fact we were playing essendon. Also, the Qualifying final that year against carlton - best match I've ever been to, without a doubt.
On top of that, woewy winning the brownlow the week before the Granny too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkk said:
1999 was pure excitement.

Not from point of winning premierships, but just from pure excitement to the future.

I was at the last game at Waverly what an atmosphere!!!!!

did thommo kick six that day? and the hawks came from behind to win? or am i mistaken?

1999...for obvious reasons :D I wish I'd appreciated that year more! I remember being on Glenhuntly Rd and I saw this kid accross the street wearing a Carlton jumper and I said we going to kick your ass! and we did :D

I couldnt go past 97 we had suffered bad injuries in the first part of the season and looked gone but we slowly got are group together and we got some momentun going. Even though we then got hammered by injury in the last part of the season we were able to maintain that momentum and won our first flag having being underdogs in each of our four finals.
To top it all off a number of media people were made to look like fools with their prediction of what would happen to us in the last two finals which were played at the MCG.

I've got 5 favourites that are all there for different reasons, and it's hard to pick between them. In no order of preference:

1996 - the Last year of the Bears. My favourite and most hated season at the same time. Merger and all those issues aside, it was the first year of a home final/s for the club, Voss's Brownlow and some credibility instead of being a laughing stock.

1999 - Matthews maiden year - and an unexpected amount of success. Going from finishing 16th in 1998 to playing off in a prelim was a whirlwhind trip for that season. The club was finally getting on some even footing and it happened quicker than expected.

2001 - Horror first 9 rounds, then nothing but happiness topped off by total euphoria on Grand Final day. The year we got a taste of great success, but it was so new and so emotional we didn't really know what to do with it.

2002 - More even and enjoyable season, but a frantic and nail-biting Grand Final day. The 2001 experience helped. Even things like buying Gf tickets, getting to the parade, getting to the game, it was all more enjoyable because you knew what you were doing. I think we missed out on some of the experience in 2001 because of the little things that you weren't sure of.

2003 - more of a topsy turvy season, but Grand Final day was a ripper. It was a day of fun and celebration, enjoyment and far far less neves than the previous 2 years. It was that good that it virtually taints the memory of the entire season and makes it feel 'good' in my memory of the entire season.

Remove this Banner Ad

your favorite football season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back