Your favourite obscure or random Fremantle players?

Remove this Banner Ad

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
We all have those players throughout the years that we look back on and go "Oh yeah that's right" so I thought we should walk down memory lane and remember some of our favourites over the years, it should be a fun one.

I'll start off with mine, Josh Mellington.

Looked to be a good prospect and seemed to be our go to small/medium forward alongside Ballantyne at the start of 2012 until he got injured, by the time he was fit Walters had already taken his spot.

For me it was Clancee Pierce. Loved watching him play and listening to BT calling his name in games eg Clanceeeeeeeee Pierce.

We jumped the gun getting rid of him and didn’t give him enough time to evolve into a good defender.

I was very disappointed when we did that and have been very pleased that he was picked up by GC where he has had a solid career.

Now you've done it, there'll be dozens of people that gave up when Viv Michie left posting here and reminiscing before sundown

Andrew Wills - my favourite player when I was a wee boy supporting Freo. Capable of absolute ridiculous goals. Honestly believed he was going to win the brownlow in 97.

Michael Brown - believed he was the hard nut that Freo needed in the 90's. Honestly thought he was going to be great after 96.

Clem Michael - he was going to be a gun.

Andrew Siegert - thought he really cemented himself in his first year. Was impressed.

Greg Madigan - I thought - why have we got this guy sitting in the ressies when he could play CHB and release Peter Mann to play CHF consistently.

I have so many more.

Antoni Grover. Here's a fun video of Grover playfully winding the g-train up. Dunno who that blond fellow is.

For me it was Clancee Pierce. Loved watching him play and listening to BT calling his name in games eg Clanceeeeeeeee Pierce.

We jumped the gun getting rid of him and didn’t give him enough time to evolve into a good defender.

I was very disappointed when we did that and have been very pleased that he was picked up by GC where he has had a solid career.
Clancee Pearce was always a favourite of mine, love a Swans player, loved that he had a good set shot on him too, could roost it from long outside 50.

Preferred him as a midfielder/half forward like he was in 2012 compared to being a defender.

Thought he looked pretty decent in his first season but it was never going to be easy to break into the team as the 4th choice behind Sandilands, Clarke and Griffin.

Had the turning circle of an old truck.

Saved the game against Richmond 2013 on a Friday night, Ballantyne kicked the winning goal.

Such memorable games back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Brown was the ultimate utility who plugged a lot of holes for us when we were an ordinary team but I think enjoyed the Perth night-life a bit too much.

We ended up trading him to North in 2002 for pick 13 which we used on wait for it Byron Schammer!

He went on to have a good career with North before they delisted him and he was picked up by Collingwood in the 2008 draft for pick 73 and he went on to win a premiership with Collingwood in 2011.

Mick Malthouse rated him from his days at Freo.

In this article he credits Clem Michael and Kepler who he modelled his game on.

Leigh Brown was the ultimate utility who plugged a lot of holes for us when we were an ordinary team but I think enjoyed the Perth night-life a bit too much.

We ended up trading him to North in 2002 for pick 13 which we used on wait for it Byron Schammer!

He went on to have a good career with North before they delisted him and he was picked up by Collingwood in the 2008 draft for pick 73 and he went on to win a premiership with Collingwood in 2011.

Mick Malthouse rated him from his days at Freo.

In this article he credits Clem Michael and Kepler who he modelled his game on.

I'm sure he also convinced Pav to re-sign during those dark years only to be traded himself. Or that's at least what I remember reading.

Best moment from an obscure player would be Ryan Nyhuis kicking four on debut having never played forward before.

Tim Ruffles winning a derby with two late goals was awesome too. Pity he did his knee five minutes later and didn’t fire a shot since.

I remember someone I know always saying Peter Faulks was a better defender than Zac Dawson. I’m not sure Faulks played any more than 3-4 games for us.

Also pretty much anyone that debuted for us in the last games in 2013 or 2015 that isn’t Ethan Hughes (cos he played 100+ games).

100% with you on Clancee Pearce, but he didn't have a post-Freo career with GC did he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your favourite obscure or random Fremantle players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back