Your favourite obscure or random Fremantle players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to argue he’s obscure given he’s
the greatest player of all time - but Shane Parker was just the defenders defender. Would grab the pill, tuck it under the armpits and run it out of defence. Him kicking a goal in 2005 has to be one of my cherished Freo memories

Scotty Thornton - especially loved when he snuck forward and kicked a goal. I really rated him, the guy couldn’t put the meat on he needed to compete but I enjoyed watching him.

Clancee was great, the ability to think the ball 60m off a step, the big ass, great stuff.

Steven Koops was great entertainment early 2000’s. The fact he turned into the Mundy pick means he is a legend.

Craig Callaghan I rated, Drummy ruined him. He was a tough in and under mid not a forward pocket. Had a few injuries but under Neesham he was tracking nicely.

the greatest player of all time - but Shane Parker was just the defenders defender. Would grab the pill, tuck it under the armpits and run it out of defence. Him kicking a goal in 2005 has to be one of my cherished Freo memories

It irks me no end some of the attitude to Shane on forums/social media. For me he is still in our best 25-30 ever. Plenty remember the howler kick to Ben Hollands against Richmond but week in week out he was competing and beating some of the big guns of the league.

I think know the one you mean in 2005. Parker played on Fev and at the end of the day scored more goals than him. Pav kicked 7 or 8, but the Parker goal is the one I remember.

Not actual game time, but I also recall a press conference before one of Freo's first finals where they had Shaun McManus and Shane Parker as the original squad members finally getting a taste of finals. They asked Shaun if he was excited and he had a huge grin and an answer along the lines of "I'm just keeping a lid on it, but this guy is just going crazy." To which Parker cracked a smile. For mine, those two were the Jay and Silent Bob of Freo, with slightly fewer drug references. Probably.

And slightly more seriously, on clivenator's point, I'm pretty sure Parker lined up on both Gary Abletts, Matthew Richardson, Fevola (as mentioned already), Fraser Gehrig and I'm think Barry Hall. From memory he dodged going on on one with Tony Lockett - he just got the job of dropping back in front of Plugger. He wasn't flashy, but he was reliable, and relied on, for a decade or so.

100% with you on Clancee Pearce, but he didn't have a post-Freo career with GC did he?
You’re right he didn’t play for Gold Coast after we cut him after playing 100 games for us.

I had him mixed up with Sam Collins whom we cut after 14 games.

Brendon Fewster, he had every attribute to be an star of the comp but just couldn't seem to get on the park.

Borderline?
Yeah true, maybe not. I think when I coined the phrase we were in the glory days of Daniel Gilmore and co. Scotty was never quite that bad. Or maybe I’m just fondly remembering him beating Chomper Masten to the ground ball just after Masten got busted punching on at the bogan-piss-up fireworks that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll continue on with another, how about old mate Tanner Smith?

Always liked Dion Woods!

Felt Shane Yarran could’ve been anything RIP.

Brady Grey. If only he had better skills… great attitude. Desperately wanted him to succeed, despaired every inevitable turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your favourite obscure or random Fremantle players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back