Your favourite obscure or random Fremantle players?

Remove this Banner Ad

I always liked Luke Webster. No frills, hard nut who somehow came back from 3 ACLs. Was also one of if not the only highlight to come from the wreckage of our first ever final.

I could probably rattle off more than a dozen Drum-Connolly era players that I also really liked but most have already been said. But have to really agree on Haddrill. If he had have been able to stay on the park during those years we would've been a 2 goal better side defensively each game.

I thought Ryan Murphy was set to become a really good player as a kid

Daniel Bandy
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Tim Ruffles. Set to take the competition by storm until his knee intervened.

Clancee Pearce was always a favourite of mine, love a Swans player, loved that he had a good set shot on him too, could roost it from long outside 50.

Preferred him as a midfielder/half forward like he was in 2012 compared to being a defender.
His 2012 stats were solid. 19.5 disposals a game and kicked 16 goals that season

I'm going with Kiwi Campbell, Dylan Roberton and Viv Michie.

I’m sure everyone who was around back then remembers my soft spot for Clayton Hinkley

But the 25 in my username comes from the one and only Steven Dodd.

His 2012 stats were solid. 19.5 disposals a game and kicked 16 goals that season
Was one of the few to play every single game in 2012 too, after being in and out of the team in his first few years, I suppose Lyon rated Pearce higher than Harvey did. Pretty sure Mzungu had an insane streak of playing every game in a season for a few seasons straight too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tay Tay Duman

One of our rougher delistings IMO

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I will also throw in Tobe Watson as he was a Similar player too.

Both were tall skinny defenders that played in the back flanks or back pockets. Both were in that 188-193 cm range too. Watson was 190cm tall, Duman was 192 cm. Both blokes were delisted in the same season too. I thought one of those 2 blokes should of been retained for another season or 2.

Yet Ethan Hughes is still on the list.

I am going to nominate three.
Gary Durrkay pretty well still my favourite player. Think Freddy pace and kicking skills. Best game 30 disposals on wing against Richmond 1997. 3 Brownlow votes?
Craig Burrows. Best couldabeen bar Morabito. CHF 1995. Didn’t recover from knee injury.Remember him taking a huge pack mark at the WACA from a kickin and putting it back through the big sticks from outside 50.
Darren Capewell most obscure. Chunky highly talented wing played big part in EFFC premierships ‘92, ‘94. Couldn’t get on the ground 1995, chronic groin injury I think.

Will always remember the goal Gary Dhurrkay kicked against St Kilda at Subi in 1996. Remember it being a foul day weather wise and we ended up losing by about 3 goals. Dhurrks was being corralled in the pocket in front of the 2 Tier Stand by Robert Harvey (I think) and he just steadied up, laid it across the boot and bent through a cracker of a goal. On his day absolutely incredible player.

I always hoped that Andrew Shipp would come along and be a star, but sadly it never happened.
He played 36 games for Fremantle after being taken number 64 in the 1998 draft.
Was a rising star niminee in 1999.
Played his games for Freo as a forward.
I was impressed by his ability to hold his ground in contests and was hard to move in marking contests.

Does anyone know more about the background to Leigh Wardell-Johnson playing football.

I was watching Rd 2 1995 vs Essendon (courtesy of the amazing The Complete Fremantle Youtube Compendium thread) where he kicked 3 goals as a 25yo debutant and thought there was a bit of a similarity with Sam Sturt with his long accurate kicking.

But he only played that one AFL season in 1995. Was he delisted or did he just quit football because he doesn't seem to have gone back and played WAFL after 1995. In fact he only played 1 season of WAFL before being drafted, which would have been as a mature aged 24yo player in 1994. Did he ever play Colts or reserves for Claremont at any point or maybe was he a footballer from Claremont's country zone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your favourite obscure or random Fremantle players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back