Your First Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that the game we kicked 11.1 or something like that to half time? And Leigh Walker was playing before his knee's went completely, think he kicked a few as well.

12-1-73 at HT, and 21-3-129 at 3QT. We won by over 13 goals that day, pretty awesome start for me personally. I can't remember if Lee Walker went down, but you may be right, he was there initially.

From memory, '67, Pies beat Carlton at Vic Park.

Hi Guys,

Been watching this board for a while so thought I'd sign up and contribute.

Spent the majority of my childhood in Brisbane, So it was Round 9 2000 at the Gabba. The match was fun, but we went down.

Saw them beat the lions for the first time in Brisbane in 2007. Was much better!

I think it was '88 on my birthday. We had a greek kid called Zakarakis playong for us against Geelong and we lost by 2 points.

Does anyone else remember this game so I can work out when I saw my first one?

My dad was never a big AFL fan, so I didn't get to go to any games until I was old enough to go out on my own with friends.

Went to my 1st match when I was 14 in 2002 and we got flogged by Richmond. Went to every home game that year, apart from the prelim final against the Crows. Was lucky enough to win grand final tickets for me and a mate, through that 'Coca Cola: Man of the Match' promotion they had on the scoreboards during games. Was high up on the wing on those old wooden plank seats

The first one I remember going to was the one when Silvagni took Mark of the Year. I think it was at Waverley?

Not my first game but maybe the first I went without an adult.

I always remember this game being at VFL Park too, but the records show it was MCG.

Starcevich kicked 3 in the last Qtr and the Pies stormed home for a great comeback win.

Not my first game but maybe the first I went without an adult.

I always remember this game being at VFL Park too, but the records show it was MCG.

Starcevich kicked 3 in the last Qtr and the Pies stormed home for a great comeback win.

Yeah I have no idea why I remember it as Waverley.

My first game was the very first anzac day! I dont remember much of it as my dad took me and i was only 4 years old
I don't remember much from that match but it's for very different reasons.:drunk::)

Pretty sure it was a collingwood freo game at vic park and we smashed them.. and i also briefly remember dad taking me to waverly against the hawks which we won also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12-1-73 at HT, and 21-3-129 at 3QT. We won by over 13 goals that day, pretty awesome start for me personally. I can't remember if Lee Walker went down, but you may be right, he was there initially.
Walker played and did his knee. He kicked our first point after 11 goals and then ran off not long after having done his knee.
Was that Athos Hyrousalakis?
dont remember any other Greeks playing around that time (or anyone with a surname starting with Z for that matter). Don't recall us losing to Geelong by a few points around that time. We beat them in 88 and got thumped in 89. We beat them in the second game when we were about 50 points up and they stormed back. We held on by about 20 points.

Ahhh Ross "Twiggy" Dunne. Beautiful kick of a ball.

My first pies game was the same match in 1967. Richmond went on to win the flag that year but we got them that day by, I dunno, about 7 points. I was way too young to know any players. I remember we got there early enough to see most of the reserves game and thinking it was the main game and when the siren sounded I was ready to go home

1970 was the year I started going to pies games on a more regular basis. McKenna really hitting his straps and the team were like a machine. I vividly remember a game at Waverley, in about round 8 of that year - Waverley was almost brand new at that time. 55,000 people crammed in and this was long before the main grandstand was built. Squeezed in like sardines, standing on beer cans to peer over heads, and the pies touched up the blues. The bus trip home was an experience. I reckon it took the bus half an hour to get out of the ground onto grid-locked roads.

I flew over to Melbourne with some mates & saw my first Collingwood game in 1977 v Richmond at Victoria park. I was so excited. Watching Ricky Barham hairing off down the wing etc. We got into the social clubroom after & it was great to see all the history. Its funny how often I think of that trip. It was great fun, we had a ball. Young guys etc etc!

Two things I remember, we lost:cry:. And at the 'falls' end I remember a big Collingwood supporter was pissed & was bellowing out all day. Late in the game he lost his balance & fell over, & took a heap of people down with him! That is true & was so funny!

First Pies game I attended was round 1 2011 at Etihad Stadium. My cousin's debut match for Collingwood. The Pies smashed the Power that day and I got to go into the Collingwood change rooms after the game. Met the president and saw the players. A nice day it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your First Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back