Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to find modern movies exhausting.

I often prefer to watch older movies, with far narrower scope where nobody learns anything.

I can't think of anything more boring than a discussion on what constitutes a Christmas movie. Even typing out this take is exhausting and I have just put more thought in to the subject than I like.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I often prefer to watch older movies, with far narrower scope where nobody learns anything.
I've noticed that comedy movies just aren't funny anymore. I Remember the classics like Airplane, Fletch, Naked Gun etc. Now most comedies are trashy and cringey.

I've noticed that comedy movies just aren't funny anymore. I Remember the classics like Airplane, Fletch, Naked Gun etc. Now most comedies are trashy and cringey.
All of what you described are very dry comedies. All brilliant, but they don't make many that style anymore. Horrible Bosses was on telly the other night and it's perfectly fine for a modern comedy, but it is more obvious in style.

40 year old virgin (while hilarious) has a lot to answer for, changing the direction and inspiring that style of comedy for many other movies over the next few years :-/.

Low budget comedies have gone out of fashion in terms of cinema releases. But they were still pretty big in the 2000s with films like Hot Fuzz, Tropic Thunder, Mean Girls, 40-Year-Old Virgin, Anchorman, Zoolander all classics, 21 Jump Street, Bridesmaids, Pitch Perfect all being in popular in the early 2010s. Then there’s the acquired tastes like Wes Anderson, the Knives Out movies. Comedy is alive and kicking but they have kinda been pushed out of cinemas and on to streaming so perhaps not as memorable to the average filmgoer.

40 year old virgin (while hilarious) has a lot to answer for, changing the direction and inspiring that style of comedy for many other movies over the next few years :-/.
It does feel like we’re due for another big comedy.

Movies like 40 year old virgin, the hangover, American pie, etc defined the next 5-10 years of comedies following. Haven’t had any like that for a while.

RT firing off some hot takes on social media 😂

View attachment 1977865
Wouldnt be my top 10 (although i think id have a few of those on there) but im not sure i could really pick any holes there accouning for personal taste. They are all top shelf films.

Exactly, never paid much mind to the RT metric in terms of my personal viewing. They are even emphasising their audience scores more than critic scores lately, which kinda defeats the purpose.

For instance, I’ll personally separate those 10 down into these groups:

The Godfather
Chinatown
On the Waterfront
(some of my faves)

Schindler’s List

LA Confidential
Casablanca
Toy Story 2

TG Maverick
Seven Samurai

Parasite
(still very good)

I’d give all of these a fresh or thumbs up, but there are 5 distinct gradations which wouldn’t be accounted for. Anyway, as JackOutback just said in another thread, that’s my opinion fwiw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember, if 10 critics give one movie 7/10 and for another movie, nine give it 10/10 and one gives it 5/10, the first film will be rated higher by RT when most people would acknowledge the second movie is better reviewed.
This particular list is a combination of critics and users apparently, so not their usual rating system.

I disagree with it a fair bit but it's an arbitrary list on the internet so who cares really.

Exactly, never paid much mind to the RT metric in terms of my personal viewing. They are even emphasising their audience scores more than critic scores lately, which kinda defeats the purpose.
I noticed that too, weird.

All the more reason Letterboxd is where it's at these days.

the extra time modern movies run for, they waste on exposition, backstory. audiences wanting everything explained (generalising).

i think of 'the invisible man'. run time of 71 minutes.

already invisible but wrapped up first appearance on screen. no dilly dallying with how, that's not the important part.

RT firing off some hot takes on social media 😂

View attachment 1977865

Casablanca is the only one there that makes my own personal top 10.

For a movie to be an all time great/classic it should be one that can be enjoyed/re watched many times over.

I have watched Schindler's List twice, a brilliant and very important movie yes that deserves all its awards and praise, but also one so damn tragic and bleak it's one I never want to watch again in my life (Alive is another one)

It's ironic as I am a massive Horror movie fan who can happily rewatch the Hostel movies and other gory freak outs, but Schindler's List and Alive are based on real life events and not something I could easily want to sit and gladly watch on a Sunday Night if I want to enjoy a good story and escapism (which is what I value most in my cinematic enjoyment)

the extra time modern movies run for, they waste on exposition, backstory. audiences wanting everything explained (generalising).

already invisible but wrapped up first appearance on screen. no dilly dallying with how, that's not the important part.
movies by poll

what do the test audiences say

what do the numbers say

we must get the best test scores!

Casablanca is the only one there that makes my own personal top 10.

For a movie to be an all time great/classic it should be one that can be enjoyed/re watched many times over.

I have watched Schindler's List twice, a brilliant and very important movie yes that deserves all its awards and praise, but also one so damn tragic and bleak it's one I never want to watch again in my life (Alive is another one)

It's ironic as I am a massive Horror movie fan who can happily rewatch the Hostel movies and other gory freak outs, but Schindler's List and Alive are based on real life events and not something I could easily want to sit and gladly watch on a Sunday Night if I want to enjoy a good story and escapism (which is what I value most in my cinematic enjoyment)
Worth remembering too that whilst Schindler’s List was a wide release hit in cinemas newly minted as Oscar Best Picture that Rwandan genocide began.

Yes! My tendencies tend toward older films and there is so much skill in story telling and in giving credit to the audience in being smart enough to know what it going on. Montages, newspaper headlines, fade-ins / outs, flashbacks, coded tropes (waves crashing against a beach to signal time passing etc). Audiences knew how to read these inclusions and thus didn't require lengthy exposition and explanation.

In the classical period if a film went longer that two hours it had to have a bloody good reason.

I think it was Harry Cohn - head of Columbia - who watched test screenings and knew a film was too long if his arse started to get numb. Once it got numb, they had to cut it that point in the running time.

Shawshank redemption is overrated, corny, cliche ridden cringe. Basically a rehash of other prison movies like Alcatraz, Papillon, Great Escape and so on. Yet the others are forgotten and it’s treated like a groundbreaking all time masterpiece.

Shawshank redemption is overrated, corny, cliche ridden cringe. Basically a rehash of other prison movies like Alcatraz, Papillon, Great Escape and so on. Yet the others are forgotten and it’s treated like a groundbreaking all time masterpiece.

Low key agree. Its great but nothing about it makes it special. Its does feel like its an incremental improvement and logical end game of those style of films but its utter devoid of its own style or aesthetic... its essentially stand by me for adults.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back