R Man

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda
Don't worry about what all the trolls are saying on our boards - I couldn't give a toss. I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are guys...

I just got home from the G then.. pretty disillusioned.. speechless.. obviously hasn't sunk in, and I think I'll be going to bed with a lump in the throat for most of the night. I was seeing quite a few people walk past me with minutes remaining of the match with tears streaming from their face.. I didn't get a close enough view of the players faces on the field..

I hate people who are so happy to 'Thomas-bash.' That is not the answer. Full Stop.

Even in the first three quarters I thought we were second to the ball in general and that Sydney were making us play their (bland, boring, rugby-like) scrum of a game they play - however, it seems to work.

Firstly, I'll start on Nick Reiwoldt - Will not be captain for quite some time I would imagine. Last year he was the premier player in the league. This year he was shot to pieces; a shadow of his former self. The weight of captaincy I think was too much - some young men can handle it, some can't. I could barely see any on-field leadership out there tonight from anybody. No one was prepared to take the game by the horns and want...WILL the team in the Grand Final.

Secondly, I can't believe, as Thomas put it tonight, how 'uncharacteristic' the team played, especially in the last quarter. I could name a dozen players out there tonight who barely got sighted. I don't know if I really want to name them all.. I know we got killed in the ruck tonight.. but I actually rate Cain Ackland. For his Age, he is a promising, strong ruckman.. Perhaps he was still suffering from his PCL injury? Who knows.. Hudghy was a gem for us down back...

A few things to ponder about from tonights performance... as I said.. speechless... I guess as Rod Butterss said after the match, 'the sun will definitely shine again tomorrow morning.'

When will the time come to see my team hold aloft 'that' Cup... :(

My first thought is to get rid of the entire training services department and get some good old-fashioned footy people in.

Shocking last Qtr effort ... just like us against the Demons rd 21.
I was hoping you guys would win the GF but all those injuries really came back to haunt you. oh well...
Better luck next year guys.

sainters need a backline they were smashed there in the last quater??????

voss jones dont seem up to it,

penny also isnt anything

hudgeston tries hard but is past it

maquire is a gun but he got killed last night especially in the last qtr when he was on??

any thoughts????

I thought our structure really missed a 3rd tall forward option. This allowed Sydney too much influence in our forward line.

Guerra's form frustrates me after having shown his capabilities.

A big difference was that Sydney were pretty much at full strength and playing near their best, and we were missing too many senior players, starting too many players coming back from injury, and expecting too much from a few who normally wouldn't have been in a preliminary final team.

Now that I've come to terms with the loss, I think overall we had a great year, and look like we'll continue to be finals contenders in the future.

Go Saints

Apologies for coming on but I think the Saints have to do what it takes to get a quality ruckman (with Ackland as backup). You guys have enough depth to come up with a good trade so long as you're prepared to let some quality go but it will be the difference between getting that premiership or not. That would also allow you to use Blake in roles he's better suited to as a third tall forward or back.

Bad luck on last night - you hit a really hot side.

I haven't been online since about Thursday, so have missed the trolling on the main board. How was it?

On Friday night, after I went to the game I went out in what was a planned celebration, but turned out to be more of a drowning of sorrows. I went to Mt Buller for the weekend the next morning, so that's why I haven't been sighted for a while. Don't think I was avoiding the flaming on bigfooty though ;)

With the early light rain as I was walking to the ground, I drew parallels to the '97 prelim with a possible wet slog on the cards. We could hear a whole pack of Saints fans on Russel St chanting the theme song before the game. It felt like it was gonna be our day.

As we moved into the packed ground, we got off to a slow start and it would be a sign of things to come. A great second quarter meant we were back in the contest, and in the 3rd term when we were up by about 2 goals, Sam Newman proclaimed "game over" with the Saints "fresh legs" getting us over the line already. Of course, the fresh legs being Hudghton and Maguire, two match hardened crucial defenders.

The final term was absolutely crushing. When Hall put the Swans 10 points up I was in disbelief, and by the time O'Loughlin had them about 22 points up, the dream was over.

In the last term our defense was absolutely belted, Goose and Hudghton, who were solid for the first 3 quarters, just got worn out. The biggest problem of the night was the domination in the ruck by the Swans. We were getting trounced, and it's been a problem since 2004 which we haven't properly addressed yet.

Fred said:
My first thought is to get rid of the entire training services department and get some good old-fashioned footy people in.

Our last quaters have not been good for a while. Too many soft tissue industry and conditioning not up too it. New fitness guy at least

Qsaint said:
Maybe but against the swans the midfield and backs ran out of puff
Everything comes down to the coach unless there are unusually high injuries.

Soft tissue injuries this year = Larcombe = Grant Thomas: why did you employ him?

Midfields and backs ran out of puff = Grant Thomas: what did you do to make them run out of puff? Were they flogged on the track or had a lazy week off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qsaint said:
Our last quaters have not been good for a while. Too many soft tissue industry and conditioning not up too it. New fitness guy at least

From unbiased view, the Saints got slaughtered in the ruck and the Swans midfield got too many quality clearances when it countered.

It also looked like that Thomas took the punt on playing too many players who weren't a 100%. Maybe in a final you can get away with one or two suspect players but when the chips were down and the game was there to be won, the Sainters looked like they had too many players looking for petrol tickets.

I know it easy to be critical but that is how it looked from an outsider.

Don't think there was much choice in playing some that weren't 100%.
Dunno whether we could find 22 that were.

TheReason said:
The problems are:

Grant Thomas

&

His belief in "Ruckmen aren't important".
How about John Worsfold's theory that forwards aren't important :p

Joking mate, I agree our lack of quality ruckman has been a problem for quite a while. Even when we had Knobel we weren't that good in the ruck. He gets the job done at Richmond, but he has better support there. Jason Blake is inadequate backup.

As a few people have posted, the Swans played to their ability...we didn't. They played their type of game...we didn't.

When we are dictating terms & moving the ball well, we are very quick. When we are caught on the rebound however, we lack the legspeed, especially in defence (without X.Clarke).

The comment that Voss & Jones aren't up to it is idiotic. Aussie has never been a 'shutdown' player- he's a run off half back, set up play man. That tight back pocket has always been a problem, especially when Bakes is tagging in the midfield.

At the end of the day if we had our heads tuned in right at least the result would have been closer. We haven't been blown out of the water since Adelaide in May. Very uncharacteristic but it's happened on the 2nd biggest stage & questions are rightfully being asked.

I wouldn't like to be playing on Ball, Dal Santo, Hayes, Riewoldt (or any of the blokes who were injured) if we can make it to a 2006 Prelim. Those blokes will be seeking major redemption.

A little tweaking of the list is needed. A major review of training service is demanded.

Hopefully the footygod will end out heartache on the 40th anniversary of '66.

Okay one thing im sure we will all agree on is that the training services area needs to be looked at...Those soft tissue injuries hurt us massively.

Heres a few players and how many games they missed:

Xavier Clark--------15
Penny--------------15
Hamill--------------12
Kosi----------------11
Reiwoldt------------9
Harvey-------------7

This did give other guys in the team chances to stand up, and i think this is the biggest possitive to come from this year. The second teer players stood up and held their own when they were needed. It showed how much depth there is in the side.

Will be interesting to see whos there and who's not next year with retirements and the salary cap... harvey will be missed if he retires, and if he does hang up the number 35 because there will never be another Robert Harvey.

u guys seem to be very worried about what outsiders, or 'trolls' as you have labelled them as, say about your club of handbaggers.

doggies said:
u guys seem to be very worried about what outsiders, or 'trolls' as you have labelled them as, say about your club of handbaggers.

Provocation not necessary on a board that CLEARLY says Saints Only. One would think you had the courtesy to respect that like I do on your club board Bulldogs.

R Man said:
Provocation not necessary on a board that CLEARLY says Saints Only. One would think you had the courtesy to respect that like I do on your club board Bulldogs.
u r more than welcome to come on the the dogs board - the greatest board of them all, and have your say.

i just wanted to know why you are all so protective, weak minded, and cant take criticism of your club that is very fairly warranted.

FootyGuru said:
sainters need a backline they were smashed there in the last quater??????

voss jones dont seem up to it,

penny also isnt anything

hudgeston tries hard but is past it

maquire is a gun but he got killed last night especially in the last qtr when he was on??

any thoughts????
Voss not up to it?!

You are joking

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Thoughts: Saints Only Please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back