Your three favourite opposition teams

What are your Top 3 opposition teams (discuss reasons)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide - Easily my second favourite team for many reasons (SA equivalent of my team , Pyke , #weflyasone)

Essendon - Woosha . The Sheedy rivalry

Brisbane - liked their early 2000s threepeat team , they’re my favourite Queensland team
and was cheering them on during the first half of today’s game (on the way to the eagles /tigers game)

1. Sydney (New South Welshman, parents club, lifelong 2nd team, watched them a lot more than any other team)
2. GWS (New South Welshman/Canberran, been good value for most of their existence, another 2nd team)
3. Adelaide (consistently liked or respected them)
HM: Melbourne, Fremantle, Brisbane

I usually have a soft spot for those six, whereas the other teams fluctuate. Demons are my Vic team with ease.

Easy to guess who I cheered for in GFs 96-98, 00, 01, 04-06, 12-17. Didn't mind Collingwood in 02-03, nor St Kilda in 09-10.

Last edited:

North Melb: A historical aspect due to Barassi. When he was at North as coach in the 70's I was happy that he won flags in '75 & '77 after what he did for Carlton prior to '72. Exciting team to watch in those days. Always like listening to Sam Kekovich, he is a character.

Bulldogs: Lived near the Western Oval in a street near Geelong Rd on the Seddon side until I was 7 years old. Even my son once told me last year " Bulldogs are my second team because you lived near their ground".

Geelong: Various stages..late 80's / early 90's and 2007-11 with their style of play.

Saints (coz I have lived in or near St Kilda for years - no other reason)
Demons (not sure why, but...)
Eagles (have always enjoyed their style of game)

Usually it's teams you have no real rivalry with, and are pretty much un-threatening at the time.

Brisbane and Gold Coast for me (living in Queensland now, I sort of want the local teams to at least be competitive)

Carlton - Feel like we share a kinship down the bottom.
St. Kilda - Really want the fans to see some success.
Richmond - Copped so much crap for years and got more crap for rubbing it back in peoples faces, good on em.

Brisbane - old man was a supporter, also enjoyed their 3 back to back premierships

Carlton - always had a soft spot for em

Sydney - always enjoyed watching their games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints/Dogs - fellow battlers who have gone through hell, was so happy for the dogs in 2016 and was heartbroken watching the saints in 2010 (that bounce seriously)

Freo - always liked their players, don’t really like Lyon but always love an underdog. Also hating the Eagles helps.

I used to hate the Bombers but nowadays they’d be 4th on this list. Carlton WCE Hawthorn and Geelong are the only teams who I can’t support in a neutral game (Unless they’re playing each other).

Was actually harder than I thought

I looked at the list and went ‘shit, I dislike nearly all of them’

Don’t mind brisbane or gws so they made the first 2 spots

Then the 3rd was tough.

Fought between Gold Coast, Sydney and to a lessar degree west coast. Went Sydney in the end. (If only west coast didn’t beat us more than half the time. Annoyance over the losses is probably the difference there)

Western Bulldogs (family reasons. 2016 was so bloody special honestly).

(daylight)

Adelaide. Love their ball movement. Always loved how they rallied after the death of Phil Walsh. And Rory Laird might be my favourite player in the AFL, even moreso than any of the Hawthorn boys.

St.Kilda. Although this is waning. Their foot skills make it hard to enjoy watching it. Maybe North Melbourne instead.

Brisbane/Fitzroy - Family members, only time I was ever not angry seeing Freo lose was the one Fitzroy win in 96.
Essendon - Red and Black, Making eagles supporters cry in the 90's
Carlton - Cripps and now Fisher.

Dogs: Everyone was at least a little on the bandwagon in 2016, have always kind of liked them though. A friend is a relative of a premiership player.

Swans: Grown on me the last 5 or so years. Love watching them and some of their players. Respect their culture and how they're always competitive. Didn't like them at the time, but the rivalry with the eagles in 05-07 was amazing.

Freo: on one hand I love seeing them get smashed, on the other hand I sometimes don't mind them having a win. I live in Freo so exposed to Docker related stuff a fair bit. Also a lot of players live near me so kind of cool seeing them around. Get most of their games live on TV in WA so watch them a fair bit.

Port Adelaide because my best friend's whole family followed them.

Geelong because there's a bunch of players recently who've played for both the Cats and the Kangas, and we've had some great games especially in finals.

Melbourne for reasons I can't really figure out.

North - Family member plays for them and love a lot about them in general. Ben Brown in particular.

Tigers - Just love their supporters on here. Mouthy as **** post grand final and they revelled in the fact that they were mouthy as ****. After the amount of shit they have gotten for years they've earned the right. God ******* bless you all.
As well as that, love their game style, love Dusty, love a lot about them in general.

There's about 8 or so clubs that I don't mind after this as well. I struggle to think of clubs I genuinely hate. I think there's something wrong with me.
I’m glad somebody understood us

port Adelaide ( can have a genuine fair and balanced football conversation with most port supporters as opposed to the crows fans who are delusional.)

hawthorn ( both grandfathers supported them before passing and enjoyed watching history in the making with their performances.

and buddy franklin. ( cant stand Sydney at all but I watch a lot of their games just to watch the big fella.. once in a generation type player I try to watch as often as possible.)

Can someone explain the Fremantle love?
Must be the under dog little guy thing I suppose
The same reason everyone in Vic prior to 2016 loved the Dogs. Underdog who has done not much in their history. Consider it a form of typical Aussie tall poppy syndrome. Had they snagged 2013, or continued on their great form to win in 2015 the lever would swing back to us pretty hard I imagine.

GWS - seeing them do well would be good for the game. Plus their fans are 100% harmless, basically the AFL equiv to Welnix. Spotless Stadium also a cracking ground.

Swans - Know what it is like to be told our premierships are illegitimate, get told we have unfair advantages that aren't unfair advantages (e.g. academies) when certain Vic teams will always get the biggest unfair advantage of them all, have a rival club be continual sore losers over a GF win etc. Basically a Sydney version of us except they are a better run club.

Crows - Love they have the same mutual hatred of Port that we do. Sympathise they have to share a city with them.

Honourable mention goes to the Cats- for stopping our two biggest rivals winning the flag in 2007 and especially 2011. I though Collingwood were certainties to go back-to-back in 2011, Geelong winning that year was the biggest relief ever. Also the fact they get bent over more than any other team in world sport by not being allowed to play all games at their home ground.

Wouldn't say the Suns are a favourite, but I wanna see them start doing well for the good of the game up here.

Ok so obviously I’m a Port fan but these are my 3 next favourite teams. There is a major gap between my love of Port and my liking of these teams but yeah I’ll just get into it.
Collingwood
Most of my family goes for the pies and I did too when I was younger, despite this I barrack for them to lose so that they can sack Buckley and start afresh. Also I really like Victoria Park.
Brisbane
I have a mate who goes for the Lions and because I don’t really see them as a threat I don’t have much of a reason to hate them. They are my favourite Women’s team and I’ll admit I was a little sad to see them lose the AFLW grand final. I was there and when the ball came into the Brisbane forward line right at the end it so cruel to hear the end siren.
Richmond
I never thought I would like the Tigers but thanks for beating the Crows in the Grand Final :hearts:
Others that I don’t mind
I have a lot of respect for Sydney they’ve been good for as I can remember plus another one of my mates goes for them, my step-family on one side goes for Carlton and on the other side St. Kilda so no hate for them from me. Finally Fremantle are on my good side for now, sucks to see them short on success, plus Port and Freo are pretty much the same as each other except for Port having a lot more history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your three favourite opposition teams

Back