Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

No you can't. He isn't happy with the new contract you have offered - you don't have the option of keeping him unless you want to pay him more (which you obviously don't). As others have said we are in the same position with a couple of our players.
If gibbs goes we will have to spend the cap on someone so we will match geelongs contract or even up it if need be, we lowballed him to get a decent rebuild pick/player not to offload him for nothing.

If gibbs goes we will have to spend the cap on someone so we will match geelongs contract or even up it if need be, we lowballed him to get a decent rebuild pick/player not to offload him for nothing.

I don't think you've played it all the way through. We bid, you match, but he doesn't accept and enters the draft Luke Ball style. We draft him at pick 38. Now that's not what anyone wants, it puts the player through hell, Carlton get screwed compensation and Geelong look bad for being pricks. I think a deal will get done but it's not gonna be Carlton dictating things.

Doesnt seem Geelong have the assets to get the deal done. Without assets to trade you can not do much.. I am guessing he will go to another club

If Cats get #27, we will take it but sounds like we have some interest in Smedts (and Lang but ....). Smedts and #38 might be okay. I know he has had a lot of injuries but he was pretty good at one point. Really doesn't have the runs on the board to be a straight swap for Tuohy.

Not sure low balling is the best way to keep a bloke you wanna keep no?

Not exactly a Jarryd Lyons style low ball. Offer still over 300k per year and for 3 years.

If Cats get #27, we will take it but sounds like we have some interest in Smedts (and Lang but ....). Smedts and #38 might be okay. I know he has had a lot of injuries but he was pretty good at one point. Really doesn't have the runs on the board to be a straight swap for Tuohy.
Simply put, he needs to be used properly. We have some fixation with him at half back. Very frustrating.
Smedts has never been a player that'd succeed there. Half forward/wing.... and an injury free season.

Pick 27 and smedts done. then both clubs can move on.

Would rather just 27. Smedts is barely AFL standard. He's ok depth at Geelong because he would be probably their 35th best player, but at us he'd be getting far too many games (would be 22-25th). Would rather look at an 18-19 year old instead of Smedts who is turning 25 next year.

I know he's had injuries but 38 games in 6 seasons, excluding his 1-game-2016 his highest disposal average is 11 for a season. We could do better.

I know he's had injuries but 38 games in 6 seasons, excluding his 1-game-2016 his highest disposal average is 11 for a season. We could do better.

His 2012 and 2013 highlights were stunning. Broken collarbone and broken leg since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If carlton agrees to take over the last year of smedts contract him and #38 would be ok.

Smedts and 38 with Carlton giving back a pick in the 40's sounds fair.

Smedts is seriously talented and I want him to spent a year injury free and on a forward flank to prove it. Tuohy is uncontracted.

And because the Cats were approached my both players they'll likely not trade for either. We'll still probably get Tuohy in the PSD and we'll have to wait a year to get Lids as a FA. Thems the breaks when you're dealing with these kind of clubs.
If you don't want to give up Caddy that would be the plan. Wells even mentioned it on the radio last week the canny bugger.

Spose he won't mind losing the Motlop compo when he leaves at the same time.

Smedts and 38 with Carlton giving back a pick in the 40's sounds fair.

Smedts is seriously talented and I want him to spent a year injury free and on a forward flank to prove it. Tuohy is uncontracted.

Smedts is a serious spud thats what he is, a two legged tripod would be more useful .Geelong supporters make me laugh thinking they can give us their garbage seconds players and we will jump at it.
There is a whole week of trading to go and Tuohy might have to consider his options....good luck trying to hang on to Caddy too, looks like
Wells and Scott are going to roll over for Deledio, he should toughen the Cats up like Henderson has, joke.

Smedts is a serious spud thats what he is, a two legged tripod would be more useful .Geelong supporters make me laugh thinking they can give us their garbage seconds players and we will jump at it.
There is a whole week of trading to go and Tuohy might have to consider his options....good luck trying to hang on to Caddy too, looks like
Wells and Scott are going to roll over for Deledio, he should toughen the Cats up like Henderson has, joke.
Henderson wasnt recruited to be 'tough' but as a replacement KPD for Geelongs aging back line. The fact that the he had the best season of his career when the team finished second on the ladder just goes to show what being in a good football environment can do for a player. Geelong will get Touhy for very little or for nothing.

I don't think you've played it all the way through. We bid, you match, but he doesn't accept and enters the draft Luke Ball style. We draft him at pick 38. Now that's not what anyone wants, it puts the player through hell, Carlton get screwed compensation and Geelong look bad for being pricks. I think a deal will get done but it's not gonna be Carlton dictating things.
He will sign with carlton if we match geelong's contract offer, its that simple same as kruezer last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back