Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Smedts and 38 with Carlton giving back a pick in the 40's sounds fair.

Smedts is seriously talented and I want him to spent a year injury free and on a forward flank to prove it. Tuohy is uncontracted.

You are basically saying their value is equal because Tuohy is uncontracted. Being out of contract doesn't negate form and experience. Cats would dent their reputation for recognising value and delivering a no nonsense trade.

Simply put, he needs to be used properly. We have some fixation with him at half back. Very frustrating.
Smedts has never been a player that'd succeed there. Half forward/wing.... and an injury free season.

I understand there are always reasons for players struggling. Crows supporters are telling us that Lyons took 5 years to have a good season because coaches kept making him the sub and playing spuds like Wright in front of him.

We lost Laidler for nothing because Malthouse tried to turn him into a forward.

Point is these are sales pitches to explain why something is not as bad as it looks. To the buyer though, it isn't verifiable as it didn't happen in their system. It just happened and is part of their valuation.

You are basically saying their value is equal because Tuohy is uncontracted. Being out of contract doesn't negate form and experience. Cats would dent their reputation for recognising value and delivering a no nonsense trade.
I'm saying I rate Smedts highly and don't want him to leave. The club rate him too.

I have Carlton supporting mates that don't rate Tuohy at all and are happy to see him go.

I'm saying I rate Smedts highly and don't want him to leave. The club rate him too.

I have Carlton supporting mates that don't rate Tuohy at all and are happy to see him go.

Your mates are an extreme minority and a look at his formline the last couple of years especially tells you they are ignorant.

The reason Tuohy is expendable for the right price is that we have a replacement and he is the oldest of the small/medium defenders with currency. Gives us a chance to address the gaping hole in our midfield.

Smedts is a very, very good player. Thread isn't about him, but if he was on the market I would seriously consider a late first rounder or early second round pick for him.

I think he's being bashed a little on here because he didn't set the world on fire initially but has since been excellent at times.

Smedts is a very, very good player. Thread isn't about him, but if he was on the market I would seriously consider a late first rounder or early second round pick for him.

I think he's being bashed a little on here because he didn't set the world on fire initially but has since been excellent at times.

Injuries.

I don't know any Carlton supporters that don't rate Tuohy. And the 3 cats supporters I know think Smedts is junk. Small sample size I know. It's starting to sound a lot like the Walker for Henderson sales pitch from last year.

Are you hungover by any chance?
Mitchell just went for pick 14

Didn't smedts have off field issues and question marks over his commitment to training?
He had that prank gone wrong and that selfie driving issue way back, but for the past two years at least, his commitment/work ethic have been great. He has turned up early to preseason to train with younger players when he didn't have too and apparently spends extra time at the club asking coaches how he can improve. Injuries, perhaps confidence, positional play are more his issues now not commitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henderson wasnt recruited to be 'tough' but as a replacement KPD for Geelongs aging back line. The fact that the he had the best season of his career when the team finished second on the ladder just goes to show what being in a good football environment can do for a player. Geelong will get Touhy for very little or for nothing.

His 2013 was better.

Your mates are an extreme minority and a look at his formline the last couple of years especially tells you they are ignorant.

The reason Tuohy is expendable for the right price is that we have a replacement and he is the oldest of the small/medium defenders with currency. Gives us a chance to address the gaping hole in our midfield.
According to them he's a poor defender who gets pushed under the ball too easily.

I don't pretend to know whether they're right or wrong as I haven't seen a lot of Carlton this year but based on previous years I wouldn't be giving away a great deal unless he's vastly improved. I value my mates opinion as they're reasonably knowlegable and good judges when it comes to the game and don't let their emotions get the better of them.

I rate his leg and I rate what he has to offer in terms of our needs... Be interesting how this plays out.

According to them he's a poor defender who gets pushed under the ball too easily.

I don't pretend to know whether they're right or wrong as I haven't seen a lot of Carlton this year but based on previous years I wouldn't be giving away a great deal unless he's vastly improved. I value my mates opinion as they're reasonably knowlegable and good judges when it comes to the game and don't let their emotions get the better of them.

I rate his leg and I rate what he has to offer in terms of our needs... Be interesting how this plays out.

His defensive skills have improved. He tends to carve Betts up for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Zach Tuohy [traded to Geelong with 2017 2nd rd pk for Smedts, 2017 1st rd pk and pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back