Zaharakis hit on Nelson

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the tag stays. He will still be one of your most damaging mids. You can't tag a Watson out of the game but you can Zaka.

Agree, He's very damaging when he's up and going, I think next season we will have the luxury of throwing him on the HF flank or even behind the ball to avoid a tag a bit more.

His two way running has been exceptional this year IMO most definitely improved in this area, Handling the tag will never be his go though I don't think, Hopefully some blocking from the likes of Hocking/Myers/Watson/Hep will help him out next season.

An "adverse medical report" from the Eagles also played a key role in the harsh grading.

this is my pet hate, and as been for a while, why should it come down to a medical report when it comes down to handing a sanction to a player.
of course the opposing club are going to write up an "adverse" medical report".

"Hit so hard he vomitted".

Pretty simple report. And hard to refute given there was footage of it happening.

If the club doctors are found to have lied in their report not only would the AFL punish them, they may face sanctions from their state medical boards.

Played a lot of footy over my time and would expect a player to pay if I copped a cheap punch (with a fair bit of force) to the chest and had to be taken off vomiting.

Very tough by Zaharakis. Being tagged? Work your way through it.

Got what he deserved.

Now we just need to see consistency on such incidents.
There was consistency before. You don't change these things mid season. Guarantee that if it were a Hawthorn or even anybody outside of Essendon it would have been a fine.

Played a lot of footy over my time and would expect a player to pay if I copped a cheap punch (with a fair bit of force) to the chest and had to be taken off vomiting.

Very tough by Zaharakis. Being tagged? Work your way through it.
I would bet my house that 50 body punches a thrown every game.

Got clipped once in the stomach? work your way through it like every other player in history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guarantee that if it were a Hawthorn or even anybody outside of Essendon it would have been a fine.
Statements like this just make any argument you're trying to make seem petty and vindictive.

He deserved a week, if incidents like this in the past haven't been punished as such then I am glad they will be in the future.

I would bet my house that 50 body punches a thrown every game.

Got clipped once in the stomach? work your way through it like every other player in history.
Nelson is a tough player, he wouldn't be vomiting unless it was a hard hit in the right spot. Didn't see Nelson running to the umpires or anything, then like you request, he came back and worked through it to beat Zaharakis in their contest on the night.

They have deemed the hit worth a week, fair enough too.

AFL have telegraphed they were going to come down harder on these incidents...and here we are
Telegraphed? By fining the culprit every other time?

You can understand why the message got lost in translation.

Nelson is a tough player, he wouldn't be vomiting unless it was a hard hit in the right spot. Didn't see Nelson running to the umpires or anything, then like you request, he came back and worked through it to beat Zaharakis in their contest on the night.

They have deemed the hit worth a week, fair enough too.
I guess he found a pressure point that no other player throwing punches has ever found. Zaharakis should be suspended, too dangerous.

I guess he found a pressure point that no other player throwing punches has ever found. Zaharakis should be suspended, too dangerous.
Tissue?

I'd rather see the best players work through tags rather than lash out and connect with cheap shots. I'm a big Zaha fan and he'll learn from this. Not that he may have to worry about taggers when he has support back next year.

The difference between a fine and a 2-week suspension is far greater than the difference between the Zaharakis and Lynch incidents.

Yeah Tom Lynch, the guy who also only copped a fine for a late hit to the head of an Essendon player in round 1, leaving him dazed for several seconds on the ground.

And this on the day the league rubber-stamped a free against Dempsey for a perfect tackle in a game that had several questionable incidents.

If people cannot see why Essendon supporters are frustrated, then there isn't much point discussing it any further.

It was only a matter of time until someone copped a ban for one of these body shots.

Until now all the others have been graded as low impact, yes? I don't see this being downgraded on a challenge, as the other instances this season did not involve the player being assisted from the ground and then vomiting.

It sucks for Dons supporters that Nelson was so affected by it. Whether he is soft or not, it was a good punch, and you take your victim as you find them.

After 16 incidents........now they do it.
I realise the afl are anything but consistant

but over the past month there has been numerous "the afl needs to be harder when it comes to tummy taps" articles on the afl website. Example has been made for sure, we all know how they work.

I think the Lynch/Laidler incident was the tipping point, just a fine for that wasn't a good look

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaharakis hit on Nelson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back