Banter RDT 169 - One Nice RDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we haven't made it through term 1 of kindy yet and the school nurse has called to insinuate our almost 4 year old might have ADD.

I've wondered it from time to time myself but how do you know when you have no reference point? He's our first child and the first born in our immediate families. Makes it very difficult to do any "comparisons".

We figured he would fall into line a bit at kindy with the authority of a teacher but perhaps he's treating it more like the free range daycare of grab your mates and do whatever you want.

I've got a lot more understanding of all this to process, given the nurse dropped it on my wife who then complained about that whilst simultaneously dropping it on me. Anyone had experience with this before?

I think it's a bit early to start making those diagnosis surely?

Well we haven't made it through term 1 of kindy yet and the school nurse has called to insinuate our almost 4 year old might have ADD.

I've wondered it from time to time myself but how do you know when you have no reference point? He's our first child and the first born in our immediate families. Makes it very difficult to do any "comparisons".

We figured he would fall into line a bit at kindy with the authority of a teacher but perhaps he's treating it more like the free range daycare of grab your mates and do whatever you want.

I've got a lot more understanding of all this to process, given the nurse dropped it on my wife who then complained about that whilst simultaneously dropping it on me. Anyone had experience with this before?
I assume there’s experts you can consult? Did the nurse give your wife any recommendations? That seems like a better way to go about things than to just hint to a parent that the kid might have an issue and leave it up to them to follow up.

My son is Chris Masten and I'm so disappointed with how he turned out.

I think it's a bit early to start making those diagnosis surely?

I would've thought so too. The nurse said he wouldn't really sit still for her to check him over, but it's the first time he's been to that room or even met her. Pretty normal for an outgoing almost 4 year old to want to explore and look at things. She also mentioned that his teacher said he does a similar thing yet the teacher hasn't said anything to us and is maybe saving it for a parent teacher meeting? 🤔

I assume there’s experts you can consult? Did the nurse give your wife any recommendations? That seems like a better way to go about things than to just hint to a parent that the kid might have an issue and leave it up to them to follow up.
She recommended we engage an OT. Said it's beneficial doing it now instead of waiting until pre primary and beyond. Public OTs are available with a waiting list otherwise we could go private. Or do nothing.

Unfortunately she didn't really explain much, just dropped the bomb and said should I book you in and my wife was like uhh, can I get back to you once I've absorbed this information, stranger?

I would've thought so too. The nurse said he wouldn't really sit still for her to check him over, but it's the first time he's been to that room or even met her. Pretty normal for an outgoing almost 4 year old to want to explore and look at things. She also mentioned that his teacher said he does a similar thing yet the teacher hasn't said anything to us and is maybe saving it for a parent teacher meeting? 🤔

She recommended we engage an OT. Said it's beneficial doing it now instead of waiting until pre primary and beyond. Public OTs are available with a waiting list otherwise we could go private. Or do nothing.

Unfortunately she didn't really explain much, just dropped the bomb and said should I book you in and my wife was like uhh, can I get back to you once I've absorbed this information, stranger?

Is your son one of the youngest in his class? That can make a huge difference behaviour wise, particularly for little kids.

(Hopefully) My last word on the subject: The concept of slavery is what's offensive, not the word itself.

They aren't trying to change it because it's offensive though, they're trying to change it because they hope it will change the way people think of it. Like I said in my first post, which we seem to have circled back to, I have no issue seeing 'slave' and thinking 'person', but I'm not American. I assume that Americans have a better idea of their culture than I do. Perhaps changing the terminology will help, perhaps it won't, but it not being on Wordle's word list is really a non-issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is your son one of the youngest in his class? That can make a huge difference behaviour wise, particularly for little kids.

I think they split the entry level for school now, so if you're born in the first half of the year (like him) you start kindy when you turn 4, but if you're born in the second half of the year you're held out until the year you turn 5.

Whether those two groups interact or not I'm not sure, but if he's in kindy with a bunch of children who turn 5 this year then yeah he would appear at a different rate of development to those who were initially held out so they weren't the ones falling behind developmentally.

With all that said, I've noticed him chopping and changing between toys and possibly getting bored easily, but then he's also been deep diving on arts, crafts, painting and drawing lately and it's keeping him entertained and engaged for hours.

It's not uncommon for children to cycle through toys really quickly when they have access to all of them at once so we might need to up our efforts of taking toys out of rotation and giving him a box of goodies each week to see what that does.

Kinda feels like micromanaging, and honestly some days it's just a bloody miracle we've managed to cook dinner and wash clothes with the baby as well 🤣

Sounds like we're in a similar situation (or at least will be soon). Boy started kindy this year (turns 4 next week) and the baby is due in June.

Exciting times for you! It's mostly good 🙃 How's your boy settling into school? Does he know he's got a sibling on the way? It'll melt your heart to watch them bond once he's adjusted to sharing his parents haha.

Exciting times for you! It's mostly good 🙃 How's your boy settling into school? Does he know he's got a sibling on the way? It'll melt your heart to watch them bond once he's adjusted to sharing his parents haha.
I'm currently waiting for that phase to kick in.

Mine are about to turn 9 and 7.

Yeah he loves school thank goodness. Absolutely exhausts him though. He goes three days a week (Wed-Fri) and by Friday he's falling asleep in the car after pick up poor kid.

Yep, he knows he has a sibling on the way, and he's ridiculously excited. He loves his cousins so hopefully that will extend to a sibling too!

School nurses can be a bit quick on draw in my experience. I would treat it as just one piece of information (which it sounds like you are) and not act on anything unless you share the concerns. My oldest was recommended for everything under the sun by the health nurse in kindy, we didn't pursue any of it. He is in Year 4 now and is more than fine. My wife is a primary school teacher so she had a pretty good handle on the issues which made it easier on me.

He did turn out to be a Cats supporter though so I'm not really in a position to be offering parenting advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back