Banter RDT 169 - One Nice RDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect it's less about history and more about the current trend among the particularly politically correct to prefer the term 'enslaved person'. Apparently 'slave' is dehumanising, although personally I've never forgotten that the were (and are) human beings. I appreciate that America, with its particularly contested approach to its history of slavery, may have different ideas though.
It's about the trend of people finding things to get offended at.

I suspect it's less about history and more about the current trend among the particularly politically correct to prefer the term 'enslaved person'. Apparently 'slave' is dehumanising, although personally I've never forgotten that the were (and are) human beings. I appreciate that America, with its particularly contested approach to its history of slavery, may have different ideas though.

Don't care that much about banning certain sensitive words like 'slave' and 'negro' - it's understandable and forgivable.

What I don't understand and forgive are the f***ing seppo versions of humour, labour etc being used as solutions. Make your solutions universal in the English language assholes.

Don't care that much about banning certain sensitive words like 'slave' and 'negro' - it's understandable and forgivable.

What I don't understand and forgive are the f***ing seppo versions of humour, labour etc being used as solutions. Make your solutions universal in the English language assholes.

They did 'bloke' a few weeks back - I wasn't expecting that.

It's about the trend of people finding things to get offended at.

Or it's about how, after the American Civil War, the Union left everyone in the south who'd caused it stay in positions of influence which they used to 1. screw over all the former slaves and 2. teach history as though slavery wasn't that bad, the war wasn't about slavery and all the Confederates were actually heroes. 160 years of that gets you generation after generation with some very objectively odd ideas about slavery in America (and a love of the Confederate flag), who then push back on any attempt to rectify the situation.

It's similar to how you wind up with grown men who get positions as judges despite genuinely believing that 1. women can't get pregnant unless they've enjoyed the sex so they can't get pregnant from rape, or 2. women can seal up their vaginas to prevent penetration, or 3. women pee out of their vagina (to name a few examples I've seen). A lack of quality education sees the continuation of many evils.

Late to the party but for TV stars to then go big

Will Smith
George Clooney

Sh*t, forgot about Big Willy Style, but the topic was more comedy actors.

On that note, Robin Williams would also be an initial comedy TV star that became big.

Or it's about how, after the American Civil War, the Union left everyone in the south who'd caused it stay in positions of influence which they used to 1. screw over all the former slaves and 2. teach history as though slavery wasn't that bad, the war wasn't about slavery and all the Confederates were actually heroes. 160 years of that gets you generation after generation with some very objectively odd ideas about slavery in America (and a love of the Confederate flag), who then push back on any attempt to rectify the situation.

It's similar to how you wind up with grown men who get positions as judges despite genuinely believing that 1. women can't get pregnant unless they've enjoyed the sex so they can't get pregnant from rape, or 2. women can seal up their vaginas to prevent penetration, or 3. women pee out of their vagina (to name a few examples I've seen). A lack of quality education sees the continuation of many evils.
Getting people to stop using the word slave will fix all that, I'm sure.

Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson if we're going back that far too.

Maybe then it's older comedies that produced genuine movie stars.

But then again I am sure there was a lot of C-grade series from days gone by that may have been popular in its day but we have forgotten about them already.

As an example, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother were hugely popular but you don't see many (if any) of their main stars becoming headline movie stars afterwards. Jason Segal did have I Love You, Man and Forgetting Sarah Marshall though, I suppose...

But then again I am sure there was a lot of C-grade series from days gone by that may have been popular in its day but we have forgotten about them already.

As an example, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother were hugely popular but you don't see many (if any) of their main stars becoming headline movie stars afterwards. Jason Segal did have I Love You, Man and Forgetting Sarah Marshall though, I suppose...

Imagine a world where the dorks from Big Bang Theory become leading men?

Johnny Galecki was in Christmas Vacation though so wins by default.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine a world where the dorks from Big Bang Theory become leading men?

Johnny Galecki was in Christmas Vacation though so wins by default.

Jim Parsons could pull it off in some kind of odd indie movie but the rest of the main cast don't have the credentials imo.

I expect Raj to now become an Oscar-winning actor in 10 years, with Amy as his love interest.

I'll be fine. And I'll continue to use the word slave if I'm describing an enslaved human. Because that's what the word means.
In the unlikely event that I ever have a slave, I’ll be sure to call them an enslaved person so that they can feel better about themselves

Jim Parsons could pull it off in some kind of odd indie movie but the rest of the main cast don't have the credentials imo.

To bring it full circle, Parsons was in Garden State with Zach Braff in one of his first roles :cute:

Harold & Kumar and then HIMYM basically pulled Neil Patrick Harris’ career of the scrapheap, didn’t they? Now he’s hosting award shows.

Harold & Kumar and then HIMYM basically pulled Neil Patrick Harris’ career of the scrapheap, didn’t they? Now he’s hosting award shows.

NPH got the role of Barney Stinson based on his part in Harold & Kumar

NPH got the role of Barney Stinson based on his part in Harold & Kumar

Sort of an odd one. Doogie Howser to scrapheap to Starship Troopers to Harold and Kumar to HIMYM and now I guess he can choose.

Has he been a leading actor in anything decent though post-Doogie Howser?

Sort of an odd one. Doogie Howser to scrapheap to Starship Troopers to Harold and Kumar to HIMYM and now I guess he can choose.

Has he been a leading actor in anything decent though post-Doogie Howser?

A Series of Unfortunate Events?

All for playing a character that’s probably about a month away from being cancelled.

Well we haven't made it through term 1 of kindy yet and the school nurse has called to insinuate our almost 4 year old might have ADD.

I've wondered it from time to time myself but how do you know when you have no reference point? He's our first child and the first born in our immediate families. Makes it very difficult to do any "comparisons".

We figured he would fall into line a bit at kindy with the authority of a teacher but perhaps he's treating it more like the free range daycare of grab your mates and do whatever you want.

I've got a lot more understanding of all this to process, given the nurse dropped it on my wife who then complained about that whilst simultaneously dropping it on me. Anyone had experience with this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back