Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impasse WB and the Lions: I know it's often posturing, and 9 out of 10 times you end up taking what the lions offer but there is always that 1 time. There is no doubt Dunkley is worth more than a latish 1st rounder. I'm not a fly on the wall so don't know the goings on behind the scenes. But if was a dogs supporter I'm dark on the lions for shopping pick 15.
Haha all you need to do is take a quick read through the last few pages and you'll see nearly all of us and the club are dark on Brisbane. The club is not even being unreasonable by requesting 2 mid to late firsts for Dunkley, however it's rubbing most people up the wrong way because Brisbane don't even seem to be trying to be reasonable. It was refreshing to see GWS and Richmond negotiate a quality player in good faith and get the Taranto deal done, that's how it should go typically. It's not our fault the Lions have point considerations at play, it would just be nice for them to acknowledge they may have to give a little to get a quality player rather than try to break our back in a game of chicken. I'm in agreeance with a few on here that i'd rather us let him go into the pre-season or open drafts than cave and get unders. We're trying to challenge ourselves at the moment, and giving away our reigning best and fairest to another top 4 contender for peanuts is more of a detriment to us than getting nothing at all.

Jack Martin? Although a bit different because Carlton had power with the early PSD pick
Jack Martin and others such as Heatley and Houli aren't the same as this because it was a choice of the club taking them to go through the PSD rather than give up anything in a trade. It's very rare for a club losing a player who has nominated a club to let them walk with the threat of missing out on their preferred destination - I believe the last was Nick Stevens back in 2003 (requested Collingwood, ended up at Carlton).

Basically what we did with Essendon. Made it very clear what the price was and didn’t move/respond.

The only difference is we knew what the outcome was when we ignored Bumbers

This time we don't know the outcome.

Still think Lions will do an appropriate deal. Glad Taranto deal was done early and was the picks it was as it has set the market.

Last edited:
Impasse WB and the Lions: I know it's often posturing, and 9 out of 10 times you end up taking what the lions offer but there is always that 1 time. There is no doubt Dunkley is worth more than a latish 1st rounder. I'm not a fly on the wall so don't know the goings on behind the scenes. But if was a dogs supporter I'm dark on the lions for shopping pick 15.

Facts are Brisbane are d***ing around and that's fine, but ultimately they want what we've got. If they're not prepared to pay a fair (and it is) price, no deal and they can go and get knotted. I agree, I would tell Brisbane, not interested unless you come back with a serious deal. Block their number.

Dunkley can either come back with his tail between his legs (again) or go to another club.

Hypothetically if we had Brisbanes future 1st and they went into a point deficit from Ashcroft, would the future 1st be impacted?

Inside Trading Desk Cal Twomey said that Brisbane don’t want to offer anymore then a Future First for Dunkley
Mind-boggling to even begin to think that Brisbane's List Management team thought that would be enough to satisfy us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Trading Desk Cal Twomey said that Brisbane don’t want to offer anymore then a Future First for Dunkley

Then we should be telling Josh and his entourage (Tippa, Mr and Mrs Dunkley snr, etc etc) to start thinking this ain't happening and simply refer them to the Taranto deal and let Josh know they value young Ashcroft and Fletcher more than they do him.

If Dunkley’s happy to go to North or Essendon on a godfather offer then I’m he won’t be too fussed if the trade goes through or not. Good way for the Roos or Bombers to get him for free.

Wouldn’t be surprised to be honest if Brisbane is a slight preference for Dunkley, and they’re happy to get him at a discount, but if it doesn’t work out with then he’s happy to go walk elsewhere if the money is good.

Plausible deniability for Pickering, in that it’s the Dogs and Lions that can’t agree. If his client happens to end up at Essendon or North on a huge deal that’s just making lemonade out of lemons.

Facts are Brisbane are d***ing around and that's fine, but ultimately they want what we've got. If they're not prepared to pay a fair (and it is) price, no deal and they can go and get knotted. I agree, I would tell Brisbane, not interested unless you come back with a serious deal. Block their number.

Dunkley can either come back with his tail between his legs (again) or go to another club.
Do you think the playing group would welcome him back in, again? I doubt it. As a paying member, regardless of whether he wearing red,white and blue next year or other colors, he will be booed.

I see a lot of comments from other supporters that he wants out cause of 'culture', which doesnt make sense as if it was cultural there would be more players leaving than him. Look at the common denominator here... the issue seems to be Dunkley.

Do you think the playing group would welcome him back in, again? I doubt it. As a paying member, regardless of whether he wearing red,white and blue next year or other colors, he will be booed.

I see a lot of comments from other supporters that he wants out cause of 'culture', which doesnt make sense as if it was cultural there would be more players leaving than him. Look at the common denominator here... the issue seems to be Dunkley.
Why who gives a **** we knew he was a mercenary the last 2 years didn't stop me cheering when he kicked goals

I wonder if the twist in the Dunkley saga is getting the Sun's involved.

I remember someone saying Power was on the Gold Coast just before trade period and no other players seem to be linked either way.

Would be a top result. GCS have heaps of picks and need quality, leadership

If they give enough trade wise, maybe we pay a little salary for a year or 2?

If Brissie won't come to the party and it's Dunkleys only chance of getting to Qld he would be on board?

It would be a win (us), win (Suns), win (Dunkley), lose (Lions) which would be pretty sweet

I remember someone saying Power was on the Gold Coast just before trade period and no other players seem to be linked either way.

If Brissie won't come to the party and it's Dunkleys only chance of getting to Qld he would be on board?

It would be a win (us), win (Suns), win (Dunkley), lose (Lions) which would be pretty sweet
How about GCS apparent salary cap issues?

Maybe they are making way for a Dunkley or they don’t have the cap space

We can't pay any of his salary

He wants more cash. It's simple as that. He wants to preen himself and get into that vapid, airhead, self-tanning, fake everything QLD lifestyle. Culture is just a smokescreen.

Again I refer back to Dunkley Senior and his Open Mike interview for an insight into their minds work.

Mind-boggling to even begin to think that Brisbane's List Management team thought that would be enough to satisfy us.
A simple way of thinking about it is how many more Brownlow votes Dunkley will get in his career. Maybe about 40 on average? Could be more, could be less. He's had some recent seasons with more than 10, some with less.

Now lets look at pick 11 in the draft: National Draft Pick #11 - Draftguru

How many of them have more Brownlow votes in the last 20 years or so?

5. 5 out of 20.

Brisbane are taking the piss, but surely they realise that they've got as much to lose in not maximising on their window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back