List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA Pt2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can get one decent long term player from this draft it will be a win.
That’s why I favour trading up as much as possible to get one decent shot at a talent we rate
How far do you think we can trade up? We will be keeping our F2, and 30 + 44 won't get us much. Based on the O'Driscoll trade, it is worth about 27 and a pick at the back end of the draft. With Noddy we managed to move up 8 spots from 35 with a double trade (Brisbane to get 30 and then with Collingwood), but I don't see how we can move up more than a couple of spots this year and I don't know if there is much point.

Don't know why people are so negative about our picks tbh.

Odds are we won't get four 200 game players etc but plenty of decent players have come from picks 30-60.

People act like 1 in 10 players drafted after pick 20 play a single AFL game. It's not that grim, it's just unlikely we get stars.

Odds are we won't get four 200 game players etc but plenty of decent players have come from picks 30-60.

People act like 1 in 10 players drafted after pick 20 play a single AFL game. It's not that grim, it's just unlikely we get stars.

Where do you put the value for a pick in that range being a success? You've nominated 200 games and zero games.

Personally I'd like four years on the list out of the picks but the last batch of contracts expiring from 2020 haven't been a rich ground.

How far do you think we can trade up? We will be keeping our F2, and 30 + 44 won't get us much. Based on the O'Driscoll trade, it is worth about 27 and a pick at the back end of the draft. With Noddy we managed to move up 8 spots from 35 with a double trade (Brisbane to get 30 and then with Collingwood), but I don't see how we can move up more than a couple of spots this year and I don't know if there is much point.
I honestly don’t think we have the capital to trade up much.

30 (which will drop to 32 after the Brisbane boys are selected) could be upgraded by a couple of spots at most using one of our F3’s. I’m really keen to hold the North F3. Carlton F3 is for sale.

It’s prob more likely that we see who slides to late 20’s. If someone we really rate highly is still on the board then we could try an upgrade 32 to late 20 something using an F3.

Also our late picks currently 67 and 76 (which will move forward quite a bit) could be combined with an F3 or F4 to move forward.

As for delisted players. The only two I have any interest in is Liam Stocker and Caleb Poulter. I rated them both in their respective draft years. Poulter also happens to play Wing. I’d only consider either for rookie selections as there are some question marks over both. I expect both will be picked up as DFA.

Here are some figures from Every AFL Draft Pick and Trade Ever - Draftguru for anyone interested.

1666077685801.png

1666077739870.png

1666077876024.png

Attachments

• 1666077633916.png
    1666077633916.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 45
scenarios, in order of likelihood
1. He stays retired
2. He signs with Essendon
3. He nominates for the draft

I doubt he nominates for the draft. He could end up anywhere then. Essendon or Freo would take him if he wants to go there. He can just wait for the supplementary draft period and join the team he wants to out of the two.

I doubt he nominates for the draft. He could end up anywhere then. Essendon or Freo would take him if he wants to go there. He can just wait for the supplementary draft period and join the team he wants to out of the two.
Not if he is off Essendon's list via retirement.
Only if he is delisted.

He has to nominate for the most recent draft to be picked up after retirement

Who was that indigenous dude from SA(?). I can't remember his name. But he had a sweet highlights video. Went undrafted in the middy.

Argh someone would know. Draft him

... the AFL rules are pretty clear on this.

It isn't like we haven't had people lined up for spots who turned out to be ineligible before... this year in fact

I don't know what to tell you. Our list manager has literally said that Tippa is ineligible for this year's draft as a retired player, but we are looking to sign him in the new year as an SSP player. If our list manager is trying to sign players without understanding the AFL's rules I'd say we're in a bit of strife

it's a weak draft and picks in the 30's and 40's average around 60 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know what to tell you. Our list manager has literally said that Tippa is ineligible for this year's draft as a retired player, but we are looking to sign him in the new year as an SSP player. If our list manager is trying to sign players without understanding the AFL's rules I'd say we're in a bit of strife
We had the same issues with Strom earlier this year

Unless the rules have changed since last year and the changes haven't been made public, he doesn't understand the rules

I don't find it that odd. Pick 30 is not that great. Most of them will be busts. I think after 2 years you have a pretty good idea. They don't have to be playing regular football, but you should be able to see the signs from training and so forth.

Collingwood also cut 31 from the same draft. Picks 33, 35, 38 have also been delisted. Over the next few years, the vast majority of that draft from 25-60 will get delisted. I reckon maybe 5 will make it to 100 games.
I would hope the Fremantle picks both play 100 games at least.

O'Driscoll
Walker

Then you have the ones who seem certainties if form holds.

Gulden
Berry
McCreery
Rioli

Then a maybe on Durdin.

That is without the developing talks that might make it but still 7-10 from 35 picks (only 59 picks in the draft) isn't a great hit rate.

AMT has until mid day Monday the 21st of November to nominate for the draft to be eligible for the SPP and midseason draft of 2023. - Plz pass onto Walls.

If anyone has twitter it might be worth sending that to Fremantle FC.

It would be one hell of a blunder to stuff it up, again.

AMT has until mid day Monday the 21st of November to nominate for the draft to be eligible for the SPP and midseason draft of 2023. - Plz pass onto Walls.

done.

Surely his manager would be all over that no?

it's a weak draft and picks in the 30's and 40's average around 60 games.
Supposedly weak drafts are weird.
Teams get out early, take the minimum number of draftees, wait for the rookie draft, promote rookie players and so on.
In effect picks move quite a bit and suddenly late picks aren't so late. Eg. the first pick of round 5 is normally out at 70-73. In 2019 (2014 too) it was in at 63. Weak perhaps.

But in 2019 round 3 only had 10 picks and round 4 only 8. So we took M Fredrick at pick 61. Given that a bunch of this is hard to back date I may be wrong that pick started the day as 79. It's a bit early to tell but I recon MF will make your 60 games easy, given he's 39 to date.
From the same draft I think that R Brynes, H Ralfsmith, T Bianco and J Riccardi are also good chances and the all went after 45. Then there is C Warner at 39.

I actually agree with you that the game average for these late picks is probably what you are saying. But, If you have a good list team, there are always diamonds to find in the late picks.

Surely his manager would be all over that no?
After listening to former actual AFL list managers talk about trading outside of the rules of the game and various other entirely illegal list management moves for two weeks I have no capacity for the benefit of the doubt here or belief in what these AFL professionals should know.

Yes, I am the pain in the arse who runs through the check list before the boss pushes the big red button. It's always better safe than sorry.

An elite small forward could be the difference for us next season, if kicking up a social media fuss over it makes sure it happens then it's worth it.

If there's someone in the list management team who reads here and they can get the AFL to check on the plan before it's too late, bring it to the management level to get a huge pat on the back for saving the day, a promotion and get that little extra win then great. Do that.

It sounds like we could be celebrating in the back of the bus while forgetting it's driving towards a wall.

There'd be some unsaid assumptions they'd be going on quite likely, one of which would be Essendon coming to the party.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA Pt2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back