Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure McAsey and Gooch played early so perhaps pump the brakes a little bit on the excitement levels.
Michaelanny is going to be that classic role player where you barely notice him but he just gets jobs done

Not expecting a freak player just a very solid one from pretty early on

Easy thing to say, which mids do you see him playing ahead of in a rebuilding team?
Look... I just hope he has a good year, wherever the hell he plays. If it's in the ones, and he plays well - what's the issue? If he's in the ones and plays poorly, he'll be in the two's. Nicks has shown he has the courage to drop him, I expect no less this year. At his best, Crouch was a very good player.

I think it is pretty simple. He is a MID and that is it. No versatility to his game.

With Laird and Keays there is no room for Crouch. At least with Laird and Keays they offer flexibility with their versatility, being able to play multiple positions. This assists with rotations and getting exposure to the likes of Berry, Schoenberg, Soligo, etc. through the midfield.

It is peak BigFooty to suggest that Matt Crouch could play half back or half forward at AFL level.

Half forward, he is behind:

McAdam
Rachele
Rankine
Pedlar
Murphy
McHenry

Half back, he is behind:

Smith
Milera
Jones
Parnell
Dawson
Doedee
Hamill

Tough call on Matt unfortunately unless he can reinvent himself somehow.
Is Crouch behind McHenry and Murphy as a half forward?

He's certainly much better at finding the football. He only averages 0.3 goals a game less than McHenry and 0.5 less than Murphy. He's a longer kick than Ned. Doesn't concede heaps of frees.

He's certainly much better at finding the football. He only averages 0.3 goals a game less than McHenry and 0.5 less than Murphy. He's a longer kick than Ned. Doesn't concede heaps of frees.

I have those two ahead based on F50 pressure and defensive efforts which isn't Crouch's forte but is essential for a small forward these days.

We should have enough goal kickers with TT, Fog, Tex, Rankine & Rachele.

I have those two ahead based on F50 pressure and defensive efforts which isn't Crouch's forte but is essential for a small forward these days.

We should have enough goal kickers with TT, Fog, Tex, Rankine & Rachele.
What if I told you Crouch averaged the same number of pressure acts as McHenry and more than Murphy in 2022

Milera is a lock. A fit Doedee is a lock. Smith is a lock. So is Butts. That’s 4. Worrell given how he finished last year, if he’s fit he has to play. You’d think Murray would be too. Thats 6 defenders, 4 with reasonable height. If Max is playing that’s 7 and I haven’t factored in a small defender yet or Dawson.
I hate that expression (lock). None of the players you listed should be a ‘lock’ in a rebuilding team. I’d argue we should have very few players that get selected without question and disregarding form. Maybe Thilthorpe, Rachele, Berry, Dawson, Rankine. You could make a good argument for Butts, Soligo, and Schoenberg.

What if I told you Crouch averaged the same number of pressure acts as McHenry and more than Murphy in 2022
Most would still say no because they have made their mind up.

I would rather keep an open mind and see what the season brings and review after actually having watched him. Similar to Milera he had his 2021 wiped out due to injury and should be better for the run last year.
If its true he has slimmed down (as has Milera), and taking into account he is only 27, for the list we have wouldnt it be better to wait and see without being definitive about him without giving him the same benefit of doubt that is currently being reserved for Milera?

Not advocating for him to start in the ones, but maybe his preseason form and trial matches will force the selectors hands.

If Michalanney is already in that discussion...wow. He might be a very special player in the making
We did debut both Rachele & Soligo in round 1 last year... so Nicks isn't afraid of starting them immediately.

I hate that expression (lock). None of the players you listed should be a ‘lock’ in a rebuilding team. I’d argue we should have very few players that get selected without question and disregarding form. Maybe Thilthorpe, Rachele, Berry, Dawson, Rankine. You could make a good argument for Butts, Soligo, and Schoenberg.
I’m talking round 1 based on training form, commentary and likely Nicks thinking. On everything we have heard Milera is a definite down back and I’m guessing they will give him at least a month to find his feet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally out of leftfield, could Mat Crouch be repositioned to become a quarterback type player in defence? He can rack up getting ball - its never been an issue. Could he be the loose type player that just floats, sweeps up possessions and hands them off to the runners?
More likely Laird moves back at times if we need experience to cover say an injured Smith... then there may be a spot in the midfield for Crouch.

Look... I just hope he has a good year, wherever the hell he plays. If it's in the ones, and he plays well - what's the issue? If he's in the ones and plays poorly, he'll be in the two's. Nicks has shown he has the courage to drop him, I expect no less this year. At his best, Crouch was a very good player.
Because if he’s playing out midfield mix sucks and it’s less game time for our developing mid.

Have a crack Jenny at naming our midfield with Crouch, who are you including and leaving out to fit him in?

See this is where stats can once again only tell part of the story.

When looking at the leaderboard for pressure acts competition wide, 17 of the top 20 are midfielders. This is also consistent when filtered down at a Club level, whereby Crouch doesn't look that great when comparing to his positional peers.

1675130181739.png

The definitions of a pressure act is probably geared more towards benefiting a midfielder as it happens as they are around the footy more often than a FWD/DEF.

1675130154324.png

I love stats as much as the next guy, but they only tell part of the story especially when trying to compare apples and oranges.

Cause he was played in the midfield. Always around the ball. No real surprises there.

See this is where stats can once again only tell part of the story.

When looking at the leaderboard for pressure acts competition wide, 17 of the top 20 are midfielders. This is also consistent when filtered down at a Club level, whereby Crouch doesn't look that great when comparing to his positional peers.

View attachment 1597071

The definitions of a pressure act is probably geared more towards benefiting a midfielder as it happens as they are around the footy more often than a FWD/DEF.

View attachment 1597068

I love stats as much as the next guy, but they only tell part of the story especially when trying to compare apples and oranges.

Yes I was mostly trolling with my suggestion, I know why he gets pressure acts. But realistically McHenry and Murphy are such poor contributors that it's not out of the question that Crouch is on the same level as a half forward (or even the better option)

How would our scores against from D50 go ?

Imagine Saad or Hind playing on him

Maybe Dawson is playing midfield 🙏
This is probably the best interview about various Crows players & roles ...Rankine, Pedlar, Milera, and Dawson

46:20 - "He's a monster that bloke." - Rory Laird will be in Doedee's team.

48:40 - Wayne Milera has been training with the backs and his Fantasy stocks are increasing.

55:35 - Will it be Jordan Dawson who takes the bulk of the kick-ins?

Most would still say no because they have made their mind up.

I would rather keep an open mind and see what the season brings and review after actually having watched him. Similar to Milera he had his 2021 wiped out due to injury and should be better for the run last year.
If its true he has slimmed down (as has Milera), and taking into account he is only 27, for the list we have wouldnt it be better to wait and see without being definitive about him without giving him the same benefit of doubt that is currently being reserved for Milera?

Not advocating for him to start in the ones, but maybe his preseason form and trial matches will force the selectors hands.
Yep fair call

I’ve kind of written him off completely but that’s unfair , you never know

Well ..they’d be even worse

Crouch is a slower player with worse tackling but he's also better at positioning and reading the play versus McHenry/Murphy - hence why he gets a ton of ball

He could end up closer to where the ball will be in the forward line which would neutralize his issue with pace

I don't want him to play there (or in the best 22 at all), but if we're tossing up between Crouch, Murphy and McHenry for some reason I wouldn't instantly rule out Crouch

We did debut both Rachele & Soligo in round 1 last year... so Nicks isn't afraid of starting them immediately.
Do you mean, Nicks isn't actually suppressing young talent ....confining them to the SANFL on purpose

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back