2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just going to throw it out there... do we potentially look at bringing Dixon back at the end of this year if Casboult retires and we feel Walter isn't 100% ready to play a full season in 2024? Dicko seems to think he has another 2-3 years in him beyond 2023 and is off contract at the end of this year. He also looks very fit at the moment and appears to have slimmed down like Max Gawn did a few years ago.

Bringing big Charlie back home would certainly be a feel good story for some of us. We lose a Coch but we gain a Big Dick(o) in the same year.
**** him. Let him rot in SA

Dixon would be on more money than Casboult…
He would be on more money than Levi but I don't think the salary of a 33 year old forward would be that excessive. Particularly if Dixon actually wants to come home to Queensland.
plus we will have Chol, King, Jeffrey and Lukosius as tall targets next year excluding Casboult. So do we need Dixon?
King, chol, Jeffery, luko seems enough to me. Walter seems pretty advanced physically and could slot in early if needed also.
I understand that we'll have multiple tall forwards in King, Chol, Jeffrey and Luko but none of those guys play with the wrecking ball style that we saw become so effective for us with Casboult last year. I'm confident Walter could be that player (and more) in the future but I'm not 100% sure he'll be ready to do it for 22-25 weeks in 2024. That's why I wonder if bringing in Dixon for 1-2 years to serve as the wrecking ball and provide protection for the younger forward might be worth doing.

Collins McKay Long
Powell Ballard Uwland

This is who we need, it's not the flashy marquee player, but it's where we are going to be found lacking, this is where needs the attention. I can't wait to see what Steven King will do with this midfield, options galore up forward, we need the anchor, and the 201cm, 25 year old twin of Harry is the man to be it.

Collins McKay Long
Powell Ballard Uwland

This is who we need, it's not the flashy marquee player, but it's where we are going to be found lacking, this is where needs the attention. I can't wait to see what Steven King will do with this midfield, options galore up forward, we need the anchor, and the 201cm, 25 year old twin of Harry is the man to be it.
McKay takes us from being a finals contender to a premiership contender. Gut feel is we end up with jade Gresham.

Jade Gresham would be a good pick up as well IMO. Classy goal kicking outside player. Probably something we lack a lot of.

Dixon would be on more money than Casboult… plus we will have Chol, King, Jeffrey and Lukosius as tall targets next year, excluding Casboult. So do we need Dixon?

Lukosius is tall, but is he a tall target? Is he a key marking forward like Casbault and Dixon? We need to leave him out of these types of conversations. He is a tall player with gifts and talents outside of the contest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lukosius is tall, but is he a tall target? Is he a key marking forward like Casbault and Dixon? We need to leave him out of these types of conversations. He is a tall player with gifts and talents outside of the contest.

Give him time, first full preseason as a key forward with actual strength & conditioning.

Todd Marshall was pretty skinny when he came into the league, 2022 was his 6th season and he broke out and kicked 40+ goals.

2023 will be Lukosius' 5th and First as a key forward. Patiences

He would be on more money than Levi but I don't think the salary of a 33 year old forward would be that excessive. Particularly if Dixon actually wants to come home to Queensland.

I understand that we'll have multiple tall forwards in King, Chol, Jeffrey and Luko but none of those guys play with the wrecking ball style that we saw become so effective for us with Casboult last year. I'm confident Walter could be that player (and more) in the future but I'm not 100% sure he'll be ready to do it for 22-25 weeks in 2024. That's why I wonder if bringing in Dixon for 1-2 years to serve as the wrecking ball and provide protection for the younger forward might be worth doing.

Casboult is 6months older than Dixon, and is committed to the GC (has lived in the area for the past number of yrs).............. Dixon left for greener pastures (nothing wrong with that).... but, if we're going to sign one of them, then let it be Casboult.....

Give him time, first full preseason as a key forward with actual strength & conditioning.

Todd Marshall was pretty skinny when he came into the league, 2022 was his 6th season and he broke out and kicked 40+ goals.

I respect your patience and I hope you are right.

A better Suns team will also help Lukosius immensely, will only magnify his skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Luko was 21 last season and had season ruined by 2 PCLs while adjusting to a new position as a tall. People are way too hard on him, IMO.

Yeah, Luko was 21 last season and had season ruined by 2 PCLs while adjusting to a new position as a tall. People are way too hard on him, IMO.
Just watching some highlights from last year.
Fast play down the wing after some scrappy up field tussle.

Luko early to react and run to a dangerous spot to receive the ball.
Realises he has space to turn quickly and take another 5 metres and a few seconds to sum things up ahead of the ball
Blasts a kick 50-60m deep into the 50 to Chol's advantage who marks and goes back and kicks it.
Not every player can do this. But he just makes it look so easy.
I reckon he's going to prove a lot of people wrong this year.

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.16.47 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.17.05 pm.png

Just watching some highlights from last year.
Fast play down the wing after some scrappy up field tussle.

Luko early to react and run to a dangerous spot to receive the ball.
Realises he has space to turn quickly and take another 5 metres and a few seconds to sum things up ahead of the ball
Blasts a kick 50-60m deep into the 50 to Chol's advantage who marks and goes back and kicks it.
Not every player can do this. But he just makes it look so easy.
I reckon he's going to prove a lot of people wrong this year.

View attachment 1603535

View attachment 1603534
Yeah, some of his kicks were unbelievable. Only Rankine had a similar vision/ability :-(

I re-watched recently Suns vs Lions at the Gabba. Luko executed a perfect tackle on Berry (holding his arm) and scored from it. Who says he can't tackle. I never seen Chol, King or Casboult tackle like that. BTW, we played a good footy in that game until Ballard got injured. Another game we had a shot to win.

Last edited:
Ben McKay puts contract talks on a hold…

It’s happening kids!! Get excited 🙌🏽

Ben McKay puts contract talks on a hold…

It’s happening kids!! Get excited 🙌🏽
I wonder if this shows the Clarko shine has worn off already... McKay only just turned 25 so I can't imagine Clarkson is keen to see him leave. Hopefully Jed Anderson gets in his ear and tells him how much he'll enjoy life if he heads north instead of staying in Victoria. We should be using Joe Daniher as an example of how much he'll love life up here.

I'll add this as well - GWS swingman Harry Himmelberg has also put contract talks on hold and perhaps he would also be able to fill that void for us. It would probably be easier to get Himmelberg and he's only one year older than McKay so age isn't an issue. I'd prefer McKay but I wouldn't be disappointed if we landed Himmelberg.

I wonder if this shows the Clarko shine has worn off already... McKay only just turned 25 so I can't imagine Clarkson is keen to see him leave. Hopefully Jed Anderson gets in his ear and tells him how much he'll enjoy life if he heads north instead of staying in Victoria. We should be using Joe Daniher as an example of how much he'll love life up here.

I'll add this as well - GWS swingman Harry Himmelberg has also put contract talks on hold and perhaps he would also be able to fill that void for us. It would probably be easier to get Himmelberg and he's only one year older than McKay so age isn't an issue. I'd prefer McKay but I wouldn't be disappointed if we landed Himmelberg.
Himmelberg not as good as a defender as Ballard, so unless Graham can develop into that lockdown. We still have that hole.

Himmelberg would basically be a maxed out version of Lukosius playing at CHB. His skills and leg is elite for a big guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back