Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds from the Age article like exactly the sort of person you want around the club.

Doesn’t hurt that he can play a bit too!

His metrics this year are very very impressive 😀

Hope he gets a chance to run through the middle a little more, or at least push up the ground to create another option like Moore does sometimes. Otherwise we need him kicking goals and applying pressure, which he latter doesn't seem to really be part of his game just yet.

Seemed to play more of an Inside Mid role at Box Hill yesterday and is Clearly too good for VFL football.

Can’t see him playing many more games for Box Hill in the future

I hope he gets more midfield minutes when he comes back into the seniors in the next few weeks. Needs to be fast tracked as part of our midfield rotation!

Cmac was good on the weekend but I have a feeling that he hadn't laid a tackle in over a half of footy might work against him. Might get a run on the weekend if Breust doesn't get up from the soreness he was carrying against the dogs.
You can't tackle if you got the ball.

Wonder if he could develop the running patterns to be an attacking, goal scoring wingman. Seems a ball magnet and looks dangerous when running towards goal with the ball rather than running up to meet it. Has great goal sense and a good set shot once in range as well. Was in many score involvements last year.

Wonder if he could develop the running patterns to be an attacking, goal scoring wingman. Seems a ball magnet and looks dangerous when running towards goal with the ball rather than running up to meet it. Has great goal sense and a good set shot once in range as well. Was in many score involvements last year.
I agree he’s better suited to running towards goal rather than running up to meet it.

But I am not sure if wing is his go. To me, he is better working in traffic with composure, deft touch and skills, rather than receiving and run-and-carry.

VFL player by player R6: Each senior-listed Hawk in review​

Connor Macdonald (37 disposals, 5 marks, 8 clearances, 1 goal)​

"Connor was really solid, he found a lot of the ball which was great, he was able to spend some good midfield minutes which was one of the focusses we had going into the game. He was able to have a nice balance between spending time forward and in the midfield, providing us with some good run and carry while hitting the scoreboard himself. We got to see him display his weapons. Maybe at times he over handballed the ball, rather than running and gunning and taking territory with his legs. But it should give him great confidence that he was able to get his hands on the footy which is a great reward for him. He would've been disappointed coming back to the VFL, but I thought his attitude on the day was really good."

"Connor was really solid, he found a lot of the ball which was great, he was able to spend some good midfield minutes which was one of the focusses we had going into the game. He was able to have a nice balance between spending time forward and in the midfield, providing us with some good run and carry while hitting the scoreboard himself. We got to see him display his weapons. Maybe at times he over handballed the ball, rather than running and gunning and taking territory with his legs. But it should give him great confidence that he was able to get his hands on the footy which is a great reward for him. He would've been disappointed coming back to the VFL, but I thought his attitude on the day was really good."

Looks like you were right TylerDurden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to give him some exposure to the AFL centre clearance rotation when he does come back in.

He can find the pill and moves very well - wouldn’t mind rotating Ward to the wings for a couple of matches to open up more opportunity for CMac / Frenchy to rotate in as the 3rd mid next to a combo of Nash, Day, Duke, and Worpel.

I've certainly seen more rave reviews of a 37 disposal outing

I've certainly seen more rave reviews of a 37 disposal outing
I've noticed this a bit in the reviews I've seen this year.

Last year, guys could get a B+ just by getting to the ground on time for the team meeting but this season, they're getting some constructive criticism with the feedback.

I don't hate it. Helps give context as to what coaches are looking for, which helps me as I rarely see games.

We need to give him some exposure to the AFL centre clearance rotation when he does come back in.

He can find the pill and moves very well - wouldn’t mind rotating Ward to the wings for a couple of matches to open up more opportunity for CMac / Frenchy to rotate in as the 3rd mid next to a combo of Nash, Day, Duke, and Worpel.
Ward already plays wing, he is getting about 7-10 CBAs a game, which is on the lower end compared to high teens 17+ for Nash, Nuke, Worpel and Day.

Love his skill set but my perception of him (without looking up stats) is that he's not very physical and doesn't tackle (not a great chaser). I wonder if he's been asked to work on the physical side of his game? What do others think?

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Love his skill set but my perception of him (without looking up stats) is that he's not very physical and doesn't tackle (not a great chaser). I wonder if he's been asked to work on the physical side of his game? What do others think?

I thought the same but for a burst in the Crows game where he gritted his teeth and applied good forward pressure - still got dropped but it seemed like it dawned on him that’s how he’ll keep getting a game this year

Got to keep in mind theyre only 19/20. CMacDonald, Ward and Mackenzie do not have seasoned AFL Bodies.

C Mac has tried to lay tackles, some stick, some are easily broken.

Another preseason for CMac and Ward and i feel those tackles will stick in 2024.

I thought the same but for a burst in the Crows game where he gritted his teeth and applied good forward pressure - still got dropped but it seemed like it dawned on him that’s how he’ll keep getting a game this year
Yeah I also saw him chase his man all the way into defensive fifty after having let his opponent go the week before. I think he has been told and did respond.

It's interesting that there is now this idea that he's a little bit soft, doesn't like to tackle and doesn't really work hard enough defensively - when at NAB level he was considered more of a hard working inside midfielder.

I think if he was played in the midfield we'd see him doing more of the hard stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back